Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: 24 bit Playback Advice Needed  (Read 2036 times)

Offline bhadella

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Toiling away the day...
    • http://db.etree.org/bhadella1
24 bit Playback Advice Needed
« on: January 30, 2004, 01:24:02 PM »
I have quite a dilemma.  Due to a new apartment, my computer (and my Audiophile 2496 card) is probably 40 feet over from my playback system (Denon DRA-395 > B&W DM601 S3 speakers).  I could probably cut the distance a little if I were to use the exposed heating vent of my new loft to run wiring.  I've loved what 24 bit recordings I've heard and would like to be able to be able to properly listen to them.  Which direction should I go:

1. Pony up and buy a DAC (it would need 4 inputs, 2 optical for CD players, and 2 coax for DAT and soundcard, which would end up being more than what I have invested in my receiver and speakers) and a really long, jittery coax cord from the soundcard

2. Just run a really long RCA from the soundcard analog out to the receiver and just accept cheap DAC's everywhere, the Audiophile 2496 DAC isn't too bad

3. Buy a DVD burner and a decent DVD player that will allow 24 bit playback, ignore cheap DAC in DVD

4. Let it be

OK, one last question.....Would running a coax or RCA through a large round heat vent (that old-style but brand new) possibly hurt anything? Maybe I could run it on top instead....Very little heat actually is used through the vent so it wouldn't ever get very hot.

Thanks in advance for the advice and patience.....
« Last Edit: January 30, 2004, 01:26:16 PM by bhadella »
"Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter. "

jpschust

• Trade Count: (0)
Re:24 bit Playback Advice Needed
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2004, 01:57:03 PM »
i think in the long run you are gonna solve your entire set of issues by getting a good DAC and just running the cable.  Who knows how long you will keep this exact setup, but with a good DAC it will work with everything you add.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.047 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com