Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: ZOOM H4 Flash recorder  (Read 2603 times)

Offline cwhydeesq

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
ZOOM H4 Flash recorder
« on: October 16, 2006, 12:02:25 PM »
Been a member awhile but haven't posted before. Long story short, been a "taper" since the early 80's. Thousands (yes) of shows, almost as many recorded, 3 significant sets of equipment and was thinking of getting back in. DAT transport always has seemed shaky so I was interested in hard disc or flash recorders. Lots of friends use 722s and I saw the Sony D-1 which looked interesting albeit expensive, plus sony's mics never were much to write about. Was buying strings for my uke the other day and the guy in the music store shows me literature on the Samson Zoom H4, which looks like a rip-off of the Sony D-1.EXCEPT it takes 2 XLR or 1/4inch inputs or uses its own built-in mics. No hard disc, but it records to 2 gig SD cards in 96/24bit (or any other format you like) THEN he tells me that it costs $299.00 I tell him: I'll buy it. Unfortunately, they are still just starting and Samson is a Sam Ash company so they get first dibs. I wanted it for the weekend for a friend's acoustic show and the only way to get it was at Sam Ash.  Ultimately, I scored one and was BLOWN AWAY. It is amazing that $300 of equipment can sound so amazing.  I should say that I bought it on the way to the gig, didn't have time to do much more than install an SD card, 2 AA batteries and hit the 96/24 button and "record" twice after setting mic sensitivity on 'low'.  When I got to the gig (late,) I put it on the GROUND about 3 feet from the stage and monitor.  I listened to the recording on the way home and it was every bit as good as one made with 2 Nak300 shotguns +2 Sennheiser 441s into a d-7 from a distance. I looked briefly at the owners' manual (like 150 pages) and you wouldn't believe this thing. You can limit or not, choose among several microphone 'emulation' programs, use it as a 4 track or 2 track, and it can also act as a computer interface for your instrument-if you use guitars or other instruments, it also includes a bazillion 'effects'.  I'm still wondering how they did it.  Call me amazed, which is difficult these days.
Cheers,
Christopher

Offline vegas06

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: ZOOM H4 Flash recorder
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2006, 02:35:06 PM »
Been a member awhile but haven't posted before. Long story short, been a "taper" since the early 80's. Thousands (yes) of shows, almost as many recorded, 3 significant sets of equipment and was thinking of getting back in. DAT transport always has seemed shaky so I was interested in hard disc or flash recorders. Lots of friends use 722s and I saw the Sony D-1 which looked interesting albeit expensive, plus sony's mics never were much to write about. Was buying strings for my uke the other day and the guy in the music store shows me literature on the Samson Zoom H4, which looks like a rip-off of the Sony D-1.EXCEPT it takes 2 XLR or 1/4inch inputs or uses its own built-in mics. No hard disc, but it records to 2 gig SD cards in 96/24bit (or any other format you like) THEN he tells me that it costs $299.00 I tell him: I'll buy it. Unfortunately, they are still just starting and Samson is a Sam Ash company so they get first dibs. I wanted it for the weekend for a friend's acoustic show and the only way to get it was at Sam Ash.  Ultimately, I scored one and was BLOWN AWAY. It is amazing that $300 of equipment can sound so amazing.  I should say that I bought it on the way to the gig, didn't have time to do much more than install an SD card, 2 AA batteries and hit the 96/24 button and "record" twice after setting mic sensitivity on 'low'.  When I got to the gig (late,) I put it on the GROUND about 3 feet from the stage and monitor.  I listened to the recording on the way home and it was every bit as good as one made with 2 Nak300 shotguns +2 Sennheiser 441s into a d-7 from a distance. I looked briefly at the owners' manual (like 150 pages) and you wouldn't believe this thing. You can limit or not, choose among several microphone 'emulation' programs, use it as a 4 track or 2 track, and it can also act as a computer interface for your instrument-if you use guitars or other instruments, it also includes a bazillion 'effects'.  I'm still wondering how they did it.  Call me amazed, which is difficult these days.
Cheers,
Christopher
Christopher, I hear what you are saying.  I ahve a M-Audio Microtrack, Edirol R-09, and a Zoom H-4.  And I must say that I am also blown away at the H-4 so far.
If you have time, take a look at this currently long thread on feedback and info on the H4.

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=68423.0

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.06 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com