Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sony's new $600 recorder PCM-D50  (Read 112544 times)

Offline mrsoul

• Let 'er rip!
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Spare some change and testify!
Re: Sony's new $600 recorder PCM-D50
« Reply #75 on: October 23, 2007, 12:37:33 PM »
Does anyone know if the D50 has mini Line -In?  Or just optical Line-In?  Or is the Line-In one in the same?  Thanks.

Looking at the manual that I downloaded, the line in looks just like the mini-line inputs that the Hi-MD/MD units have.  It's the all in one type, same for the optical on the line out.
It seems to me what you lose in mystery, you gain in awe.  Sir Francis Crick

Offline jlykos

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Don't sweat the technique
« Reply #76 on: October 23, 2007, 01:10:02 PM »
As for the Microtrack II ... They didn't have a functioning unit on hand

The more things change...
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

Offline GDfan

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #77 on: October 23, 2007, 01:46:40 PM »
Does anyone know if the D50 has mini Line -In?  Or just optical Line-In?  Or is the Line-In one in the same?  Thanks.

looking to replace the edirol ?
:P
did the line in get flaky on you at syracuse?
Neumann SKM184 / AKG 568EB > Sound Devices MixPre3
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/CLaPorte

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #78 on: October 23, 2007, 01:58:51 PM »

Nope.  R09 is fine.  It was my cable that was flaky.  This D50 intrigues me because of the ability to run a Denecke AD20 in front of it.  I heart my Aerco, but I also miss the AD20.  Made some really good recordings with that puppy.  Plus, I bet its mini Line-IN is more rugged than the R09's. 

Offline bgalizio

• Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/spyboychoir
« Reply #79 on: October 23, 2007, 02:23:28 PM »

Nope.  R09 is fine.  It was my cable that was flaky.  This D50 intrigues me because of the ability to run a Denecke AD20 in front of it.  I heart my Aerco, but I also miss the AD20.  Made some really good recordings with that puppy.  Plus, I bet its mini Line-IN is more rugged than the R09's. 

AD20 over the AERCO? Come on now!

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #80 on: October 23, 2007, 03:11:07 PM »

Two comments, learned from experience:

1. I find the minidisc pres to be better for low noise and/or low output mics, than the R09.  So I'm hoping that the Sony unit has the same or hopefully better pres, and all the benefits of flash.  I could put a pre in front of the R09, but IMO, "less is more" and I fear adding a pre will add distortion, even a little bit.

2. I've tried the Denecke AD20, and while it has low noise, the audio quality on this thing is poor IMO.  I think the MD pres easily beat it.  I'm tempted to believe that, because this thing was designed for movie work, low noise is important, but music fidelity is not so important.  I've also traced the circuit inside, and I'm not impressed.

Richard
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

Offline mrsoul

• Let 'er rip!
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #81 on: October 23, 2007, 03:14:31 PM »

1. I find the minidisc pres to be better for low noise and/or low output mics, than the R09.  So I'm hoping that the Sony unit has the same or hopefully better pres, and all the benefits of flash.  I could put a pre in front of the R09, but IMO, "less is more" and I fear adding a pre will add distortion, even a little bit.

2. I've tried the Denecke AD20, and while it has low noise, the audio quality on this thing is poor IMO.  I think the MD pres easily beat it.  I'm tempted to believe that, because this thing was designed for movie work, low noise is important, but music fidelity is not so important.  I've also traced the circuit inside, and I'm not impressed.

Richard

Are you talking about the circuit inside the R09 or the D50?

Offline spyder9

• "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #82 on: October 23, 2007, 03:15:39 PM »

I didn't say that. 

Offline spyder9

• "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #83 on: October 23, 2007, 03:17:31 PM »

Richard

So not true.  AD20 is an amazing little sounding box.  My Rolling Stones - Houston proves your opinion 100% wrong.

Offline mrsoul

• Let 'er rip!
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #84 on: October 23, 2007, 03:19:51 PM »
Test, test, test... Is this the PCM-D50 thread or the Aerco vs. AD20 thread?    ???

Offline illconditioned

« Reply #85 on: October 23, 2007, 03:20:20 PM »

Richard

So not true.  AD20 is an amazing little sounding box.  My Rolling Stones - Houston proves your opinion 100% wrong.

OK, I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on that one, lol.  All I know is I bought an AD20, listened, was disappointed, and sold the thing within a day or two (at a loss too).  My opinion is that *any* gear can pull a good tape (mics and mic placement make much more difference), but I preferred UA5 (stock), R09, and MD to anything I could get with the AD20.

Richard
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Offline illconditioned

« Reply #86 on: October 23, 2007, 03:26:08 PM »

Richard

Are you talking about the circuit inside the R09 or the D50?

I'm talking about the circuit in the AD20.

Richard

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #87 on: October 23, 2007, 04:25:11 PM »
ad20, good little box that i've made more quality recording with than I can count.

Offline jlykos

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Don't sweat the technique
« Reply #88 on: October 23, 2007, 04:57:25 PM »

Richard

OK, I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on that one, lol.  All I know is I bought an AD20, listened, was disappointed, and sold the thing within a day or two (at a loss too).  My opinion is that *any* gear can pull a good tape (mics and mic placement make much more difference), but I preferred UA5 (stock), R09, and MD to anything I could get with the AD20.

Richard

I find this absolutely impossible to believe.  This is based on almost two years of my own experience with the AD-20 with a variety of mics (CSB, AKG 391 and Gefell M210) and recorders, including a MiniDisc.  If you only had it for a day, you did not use it enough to adequately hear its capabilities.  I don't mean to bash personal taste in recordings, but you did not give the AD-20 a fair chance.
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

Offline illconditioned

« Reply #89 on: October 23, 2007, 05:42:36 PM »

Richard

Richard

I find this absolutely impossible to believe.  This is based on almost two years of my own experience with the AD-20 with a variety of mics (CSB, AKG 391 and Gefell M210) and recorders, including a MiniDisc.  If you only had it for a day, you did not use it enough to adequately hear its capabilities.  I don't mean to bash personal taste in recordings, but you did not give the AD-20 a fair chance.

I wouldn't call anything "impossible".  Well, anything aside from claiming an improvement by putting gold cables on your speakers, lol.

The beautiful thing about taping is we can often get great sounding recordings with less than perfect gear.  Now that we've got lots more retail gear (Edirol, etc), the options are even wider.  As I said earlier, the most important thing (aside from the performance) is getting the mics in the right spot.  After that, almost anything sounds great.

That said, it is still *my* belief that the AD20 is not great.

The real test (see my thread on "transparency") is probably not music, but ambient recordings of familiar events, like visiting with family, eating dinner, whatever.  I've started making a lot of these recordings to compare gear.  Aside from this, I'm keeping important memories.

Richard

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.095 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com