Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: 722 battery longevity?  (Read 13370 times)

Offline Mitch

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
    • The Noodles
Re: 722 battery longevity?
« Reply #45 on: June 15, 2006, 06:19:36 PM »
Sorry, yeasterday was a bad day in many respects. This was reflected in my posts which was perhaps not quite, let us say, balanced.

Anyway, I like the 722 pre and AD enough to recommend anyone to run that directly. It is a bit odd that so many people assume that you really need a V3 to run a 722. There is after all quite a bit of extra hassle in carrying the extra weight and so on.

What I have found is that the 722 sounds really good, as long as I use it the way it is intended. I have the limiter on to avoid hard clipping but stays clear from invocing it. The way to do that is run at a low enough level, blinking yellow lights and never a red light. There is ample room down to the noise floor of the unit and I stay well away from the effects the limiter has on the sound. At home I transferr the files to my program and "master" it. Basically I cut things up into tracks, raises the volume a bit and adds a bit of EQ and compression. This allows much better control on levels than can ever be attained at location.

Gunnar

I've had great results with KM 184s run directly into the 722. I set rhe meter ballistics to VU and Peak. I get red LEDs occasionally, but only the -12 Db, and the -8 Db LEDs. As long as the limiters only kick in during the loudest of crescendos, I'm good to go.

Mitch

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #46 on: June 15, 2006, 06:36:17 PM »
i got another 6.75 hrs out of a 6000mah battery, phantom on, backlight on lowest setting, mic-in, gain on low, and peaking at -12db or a bit higher w/ the tv/music on

testing a 6800mah battery this weekend :)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #47 on: June 26, 2006, 09:24:26 PM »
What is a V3, why is it necessary with a 722? The mic preamps, and A to D convertors in the 722 are supposedly top notch.

Yes, they are supposed to be top notch.   But my ears tell me that the 722 mic pre is a little bit bloated.  I prefer the V3 preamp.  I do prefer the 722 ADC.

Another reason for the V3 (instead of just getting a V2) is that I can put out an independent 16 bit feed for patchers.  The 722 will only source the rate that it is recording.

Sorry I didn't reply sooner, I lost track of this thread.
The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• large Marge sent me
« Reply #48 on: June 26, 2006, 09:32:53 PM »
The preamps and AD are indeed really good, those people with V3 simply are addicted to the distortion it introduces. They are so used to that distorted sound that they think everything else is bad. Most of them believe that you have to set the levels so they get into the red. Instead when using the 722 set the levels so that the yellow Led-s flicker and you never get Red. Then post-process the files in your PC increasing the volume. At the same time add compression or whatever you want to have, the clean signal gives you a lot of options.

Personally I like it clean as I record only acoustical music, symphony orchestras , choirs and that kind of stuff.

I think most of the people using V3-s has not really tested going direct in to the 722, they are too prejudiced. And by the way, they are all recording shows going through crappy PA speakers anyway. (Did I get people upset enough -- could you show some A/B comparison files? ) !!

Gunnar

Are you trolling or do you really believe what you posted?

I've run 722 mic pre and V3>722 extensively using KM143, KM140, and DPA4023.   I prefer the clean sound of the V3 to the slightly bloated sound I get with the 722.  If you record accoustic guitar, it may not be an issue for you.  For Mule or Phil, or anything else with expansive low frequencies, the V3 preamp sounds better to me on every playback system I've tried.

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• large Marge sent me
« Reply #49 on: June 27, 2006, 07:38:39 AM »
I take issue with the statement that anyone who uses the V3 over the 722 has no experience or is a fan of distortion when infact many members here have extensive experience running tests.  It seems that lately there are more posts like this that are intentionally dismissive or demeaning and yet so easily disproven with even the most cursory use of the seach function.  But I guess really smart people can't be bothered to review the previous threads.

Offline Trevor A

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #50 on: June 27, 2006, 10:08:04 AM »
Back on the topic of battery longevity, has anyone had
batteries that lost longevity or went dead after just a few
uses?

I reported that I got almost 5 hours with the stock 4500maH
battery that came with my 722 and over 10 hours with a
6800maH battery at 24/96 with km140's with no backlight, but
since then the 4500maH battery has gone completely dead and
I only get about 3 hours on the 6800maH...

Anyone know what went wrong?
AK40 > LC3 > KM100 > 722

Offline ghellquist

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #51 on: June 27, 2006, 03:01:22 PM »
I recently ran 4th row center for two concerts of the same program, from the same seat, same height, but, two different nights (back to back). The pa was left alone (not broken down) between the different nights. The music was acoustic, with light PA support.
One with the 4022's > V3 @2496 > 722
the other as 4022's > 722 @ 2496

The 4022's > 722 has a layer of mud over it that the 44022's > V3> 722 does not have.

The 722 is adequate as a stand alone machine, but, really not what tweaks my nipples without a quality mic pre in front of it.

Moke,
   is there any way you could publish two short snippets from same part of the two concerts for the rest of us to hear? I am willing to be convinced, but I have heard no evidence so far. And my 722 sounds good in my ears, no mud in the bass as you describe it, so I am quite surprised about the description.

If possible I would really like to hear the material, if only 10 seconds or so from each, preferrably without any postprocessing.

Or if anyone else could provide some other examples, preferrably the non-processed version direct from the machine.

Or if you cannot do that, could you at least tell at what peak level the material is. My clear suspicion is that the AD in the 722 does not take nicely to overload. It is also confirmed that some software versions of the high-pass filters did not take well to overload and could sound real bad when hit with too strong signals. I cannot say I like the sound of the limiter either, and that kicks in at about -6dB so you should stay well below that with the 722 to make good recordings - that is blinking yellow lights and never any red and then get the level up in postprocessing. The recording would be peaks at -10dB or less. That is the way I run the machine and for me it sounds quite good.

Gunnar

Offline WiFiJeff

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #52 on: June 27, 2006, 04:41:48 PM »
My clear suspicion is that the AD in the 722 does not take nicely to overload. It is also confirmed that some software versions of the high-pass filters did not take well to overload and could sound real bad when hit with too strong signals. I cannot say I like the sound of the limiter either, and that kicks in at about -6dB so you should stay well below that with the 722 to make good recordings - that is blinking yellow lights and never any red and then get the level up in postprocessing. The recording would be peaks at -10dB or less. That is the way I run the machine and for me it sounds quite good.

Gunnar

I generally run my 722 to peak two or three red lights in, even an occassional brief blink of the input peak overload red light on the left is not fatal, and I can usually get the artists to give me a good loudness check ahead of time since I don't stealth the 722 (yet).  That said, your suspicion about overload is correct.  The one time I ran a tad too hot, it gave me really nasty noise, while the same overal levels for the same kind of music (piano and strings) from an R1 or M1 would have no audible clipping.  The Wavelab "DeClicker" plugin cleaned it up nicely, thanks be.

Jeff

Offline F.O.Bean

• Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #53 on: June 27, 2006, 06:54:37 PM »
VERY helpful page on how to make a battery sled for the 722, which sounds MUCH more reliable than most of the L or M series batteries that we have been using on the back of the 722 :) and the place to get everything :)

now all i need is a couple of 4000mah 12v NIMH batts and toddr or someone to wire up the batt power cable :)

Offline terrapinj

• Jonesin' for Tunes
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #54 on: June 27, 2006, 07:03:24 PM »
VERY helpful page on how to make a battery sled for the 722, which sounds MUCH more reliable than most of the L or M series batteries that we have been using on the back of the 722 :) and the place to get everything :)

now all i need is a couple of 4000mah 12v NIMH batts and toddr or someone to wire up the batt power cable :)

link
JW mod AKG 460b (ck61/ck63 or mk46/ck1x/ck3x)>  EAA PSP-2 > 722

Segue Dogstar XLRs and Interconnects

ISO: (2) ck2x

Offline F.O.Bean

• Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #55 on: June 27, 2006, 07:07:42 PM »

link

oh yeah, that would help :P 8)

http://www.uwm.edu/~type/audio-reports/BatteryPack_NiMH_722/Battery10KaHr_722_744.htm

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• large Marge sent me
« Reply #56 on: June 27, 2006, 07:13:08 PM »
Or if anyone else could provide some other examples, preferrably the non-processed version direct from the machine.

Gunnar

I can provide samples of KM140 and KM143 directly into the 722 if you are interested.  PM me an FTP logon and I'll upload them.  I happen to have some here that I uploaded for someone else.

FWIW, in my case the levels are generally conservatively below peak except when I misjudged the opening levels or when running low profile and the PA got louder.  I usually keep the 722 line level just below the point where the peak margin indicator illuminates.  I do not run the limiter or the HPF on the 722 so this is as pure a signal to the ADC as possible.  I do use the 722 ADC, not the V3 ADC because I think the 722 ADC sounds best.  I do no post processing of the 24-bit files.

What I hear in the 722 tapes I would not describe as mud but it doesn't seem as clear as the V3 and seems accentuated while the V3 signal seems more flat.

Moke, it looks like you ran that comp using the digital out for the V3?  Did you try the V3 line out to the 722?  If you ran the digital out of the V3, then your comp does not really isolate teh 722 mic preamp for comparison.  Sorry I can't offer a heads up comp.  My comparison was across a couple dozen sets in a variety of venues using different mics so I had to go on an accumulated impression.

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• large Marge sent me
« Reply #57 on: June 27, 2006, 09:19:17 PM »
mic pre comp....
yes, this is one of the first times for me using the V3 as a digitizing front end, since I went high-res. I usually run a-out of the V3->recorder. not this time though.

So what was your thought V3ADC vs 722ADC?   I'm wondering if you have a preference between the two if it isn't too early.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.081 seconds with 42 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com