Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Linking two 722's  (Read 4499 times)

Offline nedstruzz

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Linking two 722's
« on: November 23, 2007, 02:50:16 PM »
Anyone ever done this?

Is it really as easy as the manual says. 

Use link cable and master deck will control, start, stop and record of slave? 

Has anyone experienced issues with this?
B&K 4023's >Neve Portico>744T

Offline Brian

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Linking two 722's
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2007, 02:56:58 PM »
with the recent update, it is now officially as easy as the manual says.  prior to recent updates, the c-link function was reported as "finnicky" at best

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2007, 03:42:29 PM »
Does c-linking also sync the clocks?
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline Brian

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2007, 03:51:49 PM »
Does c-linking also sync the clocks?

per the manual

When linked, 7-series recorders have a master/slave relationship. The master recorder and slave units will share sample accurate start and stop record times

so if the master 7xx is the one generating the clock info, all slave units will share it.  If using an external AD, the master 7xx will derive the clock from that unit and all 7xx slave units will share that.

at least, that's my understanding.

edit:  i suppose you could hook up the word clock connections from unit to unit, but i'm unsure if that will mess with the c-link. my assumption is that in order to keep start and stop times sample accurate, the clocks would need to be linked, no?
« Last Edit: November 23, 2007, 04:02:36 PM by Brian »

Offline sygdwm

• unknown sleath taper
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2007, 04:55:14 PM »
there are some panic tapers that did this on spring tour. hopefully, they will chime in.
mics: (4)akg c460b(a60,mk46,ck1x,ck1,ck2,ck3,ck61,ck63)
pres: oade m148/edirol wmod ua5
recorders: marantz stock671/oade acm671/fostex busman vintage fr2le

(P.S.: On a threaded discussion board like this one, there's no need to repeat someone's post when you reply to them; everyone can see all the messages in the thread.)

Offline Charlie Miller

• Come On, Get Happy
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2007, 11:11:45 PM »
I linked two 744's and it was very easy. Nothing more than connecting them with the cable.
Audio Engineer & Archivist for Steve Kimock Productions

Schoeps CMC6/MK4, AKG 460/CK61, AKG C34
Sound Devices 744T
Dante Multitrack Rig

Offline boojum

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2007, 11:55:54 PM »
The 744T's have been able to do this from the get-go.  The 722 could, but not well.  The most recent firmware release is supposed to have fixed the glitch.  From what I have heard and read the yoking of two 722's is now seamless.  And as soon as my money is the same as a good price on a used 722, I will know how well it works.  Oh, yes!  Four discreet channels to be twiddled with in post rather than four channels through a mixer to the 722.  Will I ever get some prudence to rule my life in this area?  Doubt it.  :)
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline ghellquist

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2007, 09:36:43 AM »
Do link the wordclock as well as the C-link does not synchronize the clocks. Apart from that start and stop works like in the manual. If you work with file naming you still have to set them (as all other parameters) separately in each box.

Gunnar

Offline Brian

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2007, 11:39:08 AM »
Do link the wordclock as well as the C-link does not synchronize the clocks. Apart from that start and stop works like in the manual. If you work with file naming you still have to set them (as all other parameters) separately in each box.

Gunnar

thanks for the clarification Gunnar.  the manual is very vague when it comes to the specifics of the c-link.

Offline gratefulphish

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Gone Tapin'
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2007, 02:03:00 PM »
The 744T's have been able to do this from the get-go.  The 722 could, but not well.  The most recent firmware release is supposed to have fixed the glitch.  From what I have heard and read the yoking of two 722's is now seamless.  And as soon as my money is the same as a good price on a used 722, I will know how well it works.  Oh, yes!  Four discreet channels to be twiddled with in post rather than four channels through a mixer to the 722.  Will I ever get some prudence to rule my life in this area?  Doubt it.  :)

No, then like me, you will be thinking about linking a 744 to a 722, or even another 744.  8)
4 channel: Neumann TLM-170R>Segue Dogstar>SD 722   2 channel: Neumann TLM-170R>Segue Dogstar>Lunatec V3>SD 722
               Linked to Lunatec V3>MT 24/96                                     (Hi-Ho Silver Interconnects)     

Other gear: AKG C451Es, Tascam DA-P1, Sony D-8

Offline mmedley.

• is on a salty highway burning up a lucky streak
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • CAR RAMROD
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2007, 02:46:05 PM »
    Page 20 and 21 of the manual needs to be read. Lots of misinformation in this thread. The C-link carries word clock...

"The C.link protocol links carries the following data:

• Word clock
    • time code information (702T and 744T only)
    • RS-232 machine transport data
« Last Edit: November 24, 2007, 02:51:52 PM by mmedley. »
I don't know just where I'm going
But I'm gonna try for the kingdom, if I can

Offline Brian

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2007, 02:49:11 PM »
:-[  even quoted from that page of the manual in my first post. good looking out.

always telling myself i need to read more books(carefully) :P

Offline nedstruzz

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2007, 03:02:11 PM »
Thanks Guys,  So I linked two 722's last night and it was easy.  Worked flawlessly right out of the gate, it really is as simple as plugging the master into the slave, making sure both decks have the same sample rate and bit depth and hit record on the master. 

Sound Devices Rules!!
B&K 4023's >Neve Portico>744T

Offline terrapinj

• Jonesin' for Tunes
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2007, 03:29:47 PM »

Gunnar

this has been my experience as well, but it seems to be hit or miss. in the past we were able to link two units with just the c link cable and the clocks synced, but we have had issues where they would not sync and had pretty noticeable drift.

we had an issue once where we chained 3 722s together only via c link and at one point the #2 722 lost the signal and basically froze up until we restarted it.

we now just use the wordclock cable and then align the initial difference in post, also in part because the 8" or whatever c link cable is a pain to use.
JW mod AKG 460b (ck61/ck63 or mk46/ck1x/ck3x)>  EAA PSP-2 > 722

Segue Dogstar XLRs and Interconnects

ISO: (2) ck2x

thepassionofyonder

« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2007, 04:16:18 PM »

Gunnar

this has been my experience as well, but it seems to be hit or miss. in the past we were able to link two units with just the c link cable and the clocks synced, but we have had issues where they would not sync and had pretty noticeable drift.

we had an issue once where we chained 3 722s together only via c link and at one point the #2 722 lost the signal and basically froze up until we restarted it.

we now just use the wordclock cable and then align the initial difference in post, also in part because the 8" or whatever c link cable is a pain to use.

also, the third deck lost its signal completely while deck number 2 was frozen up.
it continued recording, but was only recording silence.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.09 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com