Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: DPA d:VICE just announced  (Read 158718 times)

Offline ycoop

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: DPA d:VICE just announced
« Reply #255 on: June 12, 2018, 07:30:12 PM »
just got a new iphone with 11.2.2

is updating to 11.4 a bad idea?

There’s been some reports of issues with battery life after updating to 11.4.
Mics: Avantone CK-1s, AT853 c+o
Pres: CA9100
Recorders: DR-60d mkII, DR-2d

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #256 on: June 12, 2018, 09:43:05 PM »
thanks for the feedback guys
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #257 on: June 14, 2018, 01:16:00 AM »
for anybody looking for a dedicated iphone there are $50 refurb SEs on walmart.com. (well $85 and comes with a $35 prepaid phone card)

https://www.walmart.com/co/Refurbished-Straight-Talk-iPhone-SE-with-Airtime/945066075?u1=7cb3040e6f9111e8b7432e969d48dfac0INT&oid=223073.1&wmlspartner=UbUihDh2awY&sourceid=23672363131351076117&affillinktype=10&veh=aff

$50 for a bit bucket with a 4K camera that does a ton of other things is a no brainer, esp with the size and build of the SE
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #258 on: June 24, 2018, 05:33:45 PM »
this Apogee Meta recorder app works as well:

http://www.apogeedigital.com/products/metarecorder

has some slick tricks to master/slave up to 4 devices via wifi. not sure if it locks timecode somehow

it has additional features to control apogee/senn devices like mke2, mk4 digital, ambeo binaural headset, duet, quartet, etc
« Last Edit: June 24, 2018, 06:55:01 PM by jerryfreak »

Offline audBall

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Feel brand new about it
« Reply #259 on: June 24, 2018, 05:44:59 PM »
has some slick tricks to master/slave up to 4 devices. (bluetooth i guess) not sure if it locks timecode somehow

That is interesting.

Apogee MetaRecorder is a revolutionary audio recording app for iPhone/ iPad that offers linked recording, tagging and organizing of audio on up to 4 iOS devices.

- Master-Satellite Link of up to 4 iOS devices, all controlled from a single Master device
mg m20.21.23 ■ akg ck61.62.63 »  nbob■naiant »  aercomp2 ■ v2-3 ■ sx-m2d2
dpa 4061 » mma-a.6000
d100 ■ r44ocm ■ f3

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #260 on: June 24, 2018, 06:53:45 PM »
i dunno if it needs the apogee/senn devices to do that

i snagged some of those ambeo in ear binaurals so ill see what it can do

when it comes to iphone recording as far as an (almost) all in one, its not stealthy but the apogee duet is pretty feature and spec-rich for $500

that app might be able to do run a section rig with the duet and wifi control FOB rig with lavs or something else. imagine being FOB with your buddy setting levels from somewhere else

Offline adrianf74

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #261 on: July 05, 2018, 11:24:04 AM »
Okay, did some digging around in the thread and want to make sure I'm looking at this right.  Last time, I think I had gain up in the DPA app _AND_ in the Shure Motiv app which caused brickwalling even though I wasn't clipping.

Confirming best practice: Set levels to zero in DPA d:vice app _first_ and then adjust in the Shure Motiv app?

Thanks all.  Two shows -- tonight and tomorrow.
Camera: DJI Osmo Action 4 | Mics: (under construction) Line Audio CM3 | Decks: (under construction) | Power: (under construction)

Offline dynamicalories

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #262 on: July 05, 2018, 11:38:54 AM »
Okay, did some digging around in the thread and want to make sure I'm looking at this right.  Last time, I think I had gain up in the DPA app _AND_ in the Shure Motiv app which caused brickwalling even though I wasn't clipping.

Confirming best practice: Set levels to zero in DPA d:vice app _first_ and then adjust in the Shure Motiv app?

Thanks all.  Two shows -- tonight and tomorrow.

I would set both pretty low for a loud show (though zero seems excessively low). I've found my levels after the fact to be slightly higher than they show on the app when you're recording.

Offline adrianf74

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #263 on: July 05, 2018, 11:57:47 AM »
Thanks. Tonight's show is at a venue that holds about 3500 and isn't terribly loud due to the demographic. Unfortunately no opening act so I'm gonna be guessing levels going in.
Camera: DJI Osmo Action 4 | Mics: (under construction) Line Audio CM3 | Decks: (under construction) | Power: (under construction)

Offline kindms

• Trade Count: (6)
    • The Breakfast
« Reply #264 on: July 06, 2018, 07:28:19 AM »
i dunno if it needs the apogee/senn devices to do that

i snagged some of those ambeo in ear binaurals so ill see what it can do

when it comes to iphone recording as far as an (almost) all in one, its not stealthy but the apogee duet is pretty feature and spec-rich for $500

that app might be able to do run a section rig with the duet and wifi control FOB rig with lavs or something else. imagine being FOB with your buddy setting levels from somewhere else

have you had any time to play with those ? was looking at them awhile back
AKG c426, AKG414 XLS/ST, AKG ck61, ck22, >nBob colettes >PFA > V3, SD MixPre >  TCM-Mod Tascam HDP2, Sony M10
Little Bear tube Pre >Outlaw Audio 2200 Monoblocks > VR-2's

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #265 on: July 08, 2018, 05:28:34 PM »
the ambeos i got from ebay had a janky cable so they missed red rocks unfortunately. but senn is honoring the warranty even though im not OG purchaser because all of them are less than 2 years old, so ill prob have them in a week or two. i have a charlie hunter trio show coming up next month so that would be a good test for those.

im super sold on the d:vice tho. flawless all weekend at um red rocks and there was a new system (according to KB their mgr/ex FOH). it sounded amazing top to bottom. my 4061s from row 2 sound as good as the section tapes imo.. usually its boomy as hell down there. i didnt expect to pull good tapes was just honing my  >:D skills in a safe environment where i wont get tossed. big perm had my 4Vs up in the safe zone

I wanted to share a lucky coincidence that you guys would find useful. Ive been using the case from my etymotic headphones which fits the mics and d:vice perfectly, i just went online to order another. easy pass thru if you call it headphones and a headphone amp

https://www.etymotic.com/consumer/accessories/cases/er38-65.html

price is right at only $4.20

its got a little mesh pocket inside for clips and windscreens as well

heres a larger one that you can maybe put your whole phone in with all kind of nice pockets

https://www.etymotic.com/consumer/accessories/cases/er38-65d.html

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #266 on: July 09, 2018, 08:29:08 PM »
Just want to confirm...some folks have gotten this thing to work with Android at 24/48, correct?

Thinking about buying the one in the YS, but really would prefer not to have to buy an iPod Touch.

If it does work can someone give me a quick rundown on what apps I need? I do have USB Audio Recorder already.
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #267 on: July 09, 2018, 08:49:37 PM »
it was reported to work with some androids with USB-C, read back thru this thread

refurb 32 gb iphone SEs are $50 though.....a steal for a dedicated recorder that does so much more

just make sure that what you will be taping is a match for those 4060s. at zero gain on D-vice with 4061s, loud rock shows are peaking above -6db on my recorder. those ones in the yard sale are the non-core 4060s which can overload easier than the core counterparts

not a bad deal if those are the mics you need and you have a use for the extra accessories. youre hard pressed to get into a basic stripped-down setup of d:vice, mics, clips, and windscreens for under $1400. something like this and haggling with a distributor to shave their already thin margins on DPA:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1311240-REG/dpa_microphones_vidmk_4060_s_d_vice_mma_a_digital_audio.html

I had to work with DPA to set me up with one of their distributors to substitute matched 4061 COREs in that set and it and that was over $1500 once i made the substitution. so thats a fair deal with the xlr adapters and extension cables if you ever want to run it from a regular phantom pre. and the extension cables are nice if you want to do split omnis

« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 09:25:56 PM by jerryfreak »

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #268 on: July 09, 2018, 09:14:23 PM »
here are 2 of the same sets from redrocks, 4Vs behind SBD, 4061s+MMA in row 2

i used the bass rolloff on the d:vice app and normalized it in post, no other processing

https://soundcloud.com/umphluv

i also ran 4080s and 4088+4060 from the section on other nights

Offline WiFiJeff

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #269 on: July 09, 2018, 10:07:50 PM »
I think the iPhone 5 is the oldest "supported" iPhone, and that you need iOS 10 or later to run the DPA app (I am using an iPhone 6S +).

I have experimented with my Android phone (an LG V30); you can't reset the volume without the iOS app of course.  While recording at home with USB Audio Recorder Pro on my Samsung Galaxy Tab S3 tablet with no screen shut-down works fine and rolls over files seamlessly at 2GB, the LG phone using USB Audio Recorder Pro with the screen blanked stops after 2 GB (it looks like it is recording but no file is saved beyond 2GB).  This may be fixable, I have not tried further tweeking.  But I wouldn't want to buy any combo that hasn't been attested to work with the hardware you want to use, for the length of time and resolution you use.

It would really be nice if the DPA app recorded as well, and were available for Android.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.095 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com