Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: SD Card Class for 24/48 Recording  (Read 9034 times)

adrianf74

• Trade Count: (0)
SD Card Class for 24/48 Recording
« on: July 08, 2010, 07:25:30 AM »
Hey all:

I just received my US$19 32GB SD card from Hong Kong (yes I know) and did some speed tests.  Under benchmarks, I'm getting 16.5 MB/s READ and 3.6 MB/s WRITE.  In real-world tests (copying a file from my hard drive to the card), I was getting WRITE speeds of 3.2 MB/s.  I picked up the card as a secondary (or primary card depending if I'm doing any all-day festivals) for my original Edirol R-09 (v1.31 firmware with accepts 32GB SD cards).

From what I do understand, this benchmark is more than suitable for 24/48 recording.  I just want to make sure of this before I lose an important show.

Thanks!

Offline notlance

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: SD Card Class for 24/48 Recording
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2010, 11:33:20 AM »
Yes, that is plenty fast in theory.  Recording 2 tracks of 24/48k is a data rate of about 0.3Mbyte/second.  Here's a calculator:

http://www.sounddevices.com/calculator/

So the card is fast enough in theory, but why not just run a test?  Record a few hours at 24/48k and see if you get a SD slow error.

adrianf74

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2010, 12:01:40 PM »
Yes, that is plenty fast in theory.  Recording 2 tracks of 24/48k is a data rate of about 0.3Mbyte/second.  Here's a calculator:

http://www.sounddevices.com/calculator/

So the card is fast enough in theory, but why not just run a test?  Record a few hours at 24/48k and see if you get a SD slow error.
Thanks.  I have done a test and it seems to be perfectly fine (no errors that I could see on six hours of recording). 

I know the larger cards can be slower but it's nice to have 32 hours (roughly) of recording time available if I'm doing festivals (and still be able to leave other stuff there until it's archived).

Offline Johnny Thunder

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2010, 02:33:24 PM »
I usualy feel alot better using smaller cards and only running one or two sets on each card. Loosing an entire weekend because of some glitch doesn't appeal to me. I suppose if I had a few of the same larger cards to start off and could still put a set or two on each card for a few shows, it might bolster my faith in putting a whole weekend on one card. Just sayin'.

-JT

adrianf74

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2010, 12:04:07 PM »
I usualy feel alot better using smaller cards and only running one or two sets on each card. Loosing an entire weekend because of some glitch doesn't appeal to me. I suppose if I had a few of the same larger cards to start off and could still put a set or two on each card for a few shows, it might bolster my faith in putting a whole weekend on one card. Just sayin'.

-JT
Good thinking.  I might just try and sell the 32GB card on Craigslist for what I paid for it (about $20) and then pick up another 8GB (or maybe a 16GB) class 6 or 10 card [which is overkill].  I've never had a card tank on me but I wouldn't want to see it happen.

I've just done 4 concerts in the last 10 days so I've actually had to remove some of these from my card already as I've run out of room - I generally don't like removing the original recording from my SD card until I've offloaded the show from my computer (just in case the hard drive dies).

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.065 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com