Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Schoeps small rig  (Read 33467 times)

Offline schoepsnbox

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Nbox...........Zero's and One's
Re: Schoeps small rig
« Reply #60 on: July 15, 2009, 07:16:39 PM »
well thats some serious shit talking there! considering youve never laid your hands on a cmr.  :D

Youre on!

send me a gain stage that is identical schematic to the nbox but doesnt power the caps and i be glad to compare them, i have several friends with nboxes i can borrow

yes, i dig that you are basically putting words in my mouth and claiming i said something i never did, which is bullshit, ya dig?

i never even brought up sound quality. you may notice that post was prefaced 'gain structure aside....'

obviously with a schoeps setup powering the capsules correctly to operate them at their full potential is the more difficult part. there are a dozen small preamp solutions not even considering internal gain stages of recorders. its up to the user to decide what preamp they want to use with these which is obviously highly subjective and probably outside the scope of this thread. yes an nbox is small and has a built in gain stage, a better apples to apples comparison would probably be nbox vs church pre+cmrs. sound quality would need to be evaluated but when it comes to powering the caps in a small footprint, the cmrs are gonna win everytime regardless of what you put behind them

Not looking for a debate, and I give you credit for all your R&D with the CMR cables.  However you are saying that they are the end all soultion for a small schoeps rig and while you and a few others are getting good results with them it sure does not mean that it is the best sounding solution is what I'm saying..You dig. 

I didn't put any words in your mouth but I'll put an Nbox up against your CMR cables and bet money the Nbox would blow them away every time...Now I said it..I think the CMR cables are an inferior way to run the Schoeps..My opinion :P

So where are the comp recordings then???

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Last Edit: July 15, 2009, 07:23:52 PM by jerryfreak »
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline johnw

• Trade Count: (11)
    • My cd List
« Reply #62 on: July 15, 2009, 07:18:25 PM »
i believe those have reduced output relative to a cmc6 as well, and are most certainly unbalanced like a CMR.

The schoeps web site reference the CMC6 sensitivity chart on the cmbi page, so that leads me to believe that any capsule has the same sensitivity when paired with a cmbi or CMC6 (unlike the CMR).
Schoeps MK41 & MK4V  |  Schoeps CMC6, Schoeps KCY, AKI/2C, PFA, Nbox Cable/PFA  |  Grace V2, Nbox Platinum  |  SD744T, SD MixPre 6, Sony PCM M10

Canon 16-35mm/2.8L mkii, 24-70mm/2.8L, 70-200mm/2.8L IS, 50mm/1.8 mkii, 135mm/2L, 100mm/2.8L IS, Sigma 35mm/1.4 A  |  Canon 5D mk4

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #63 on: July 15, 2009, 07:19:47 PM »
what comps?

you cant compare a mic to a mic+pre, i need an equivalent gain stage to determine if the cmrs are in fact inferior to regular-powered active caps as you claim

Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #64 on: July 15, 2009, 07:25:01 PM »
youre not gettin off that easy. that excuse only works with politicians, not electronics gurus!

Wild guesses though, Schoeps stuff is way above my pay grade . . .

Offline johnw

• Trade Count: (11)
    • My cd List
« Reply #65 on: July 15, 2009, 07:34:58 PM »
Here's a comparison, but I'd guess the SNR is lower on the CMR as compared to a CMC6

MK4/CMR                      mk4/CMC6
Sensitivity        8mV/Pa                        13mV/PA
noise level        29db CCIR/18db AW        24dB CCIR/15dB AW
S/N level          not published                 79db-A
max SPL          130dB SPL                      132dB SPL
Schoeps MK41 & MK4V  |  Schoeps CMC6, Schoeps KCY, AKI/2C, PFA, Nbox Cable/PFA  |  Grace V2, Nbox Platinum  |  SD744T, SD MixPre 6, Sony PCM M10

Canon 16-35mm/2.8L mkii, 24-70mm/2.8L, 70-200mm/2.8L IS, 50mm/1.8 mkii, 135mm/2L, 100mm/2.8L IS, Sigma 35mm/1.4 A  |  Canon 5D mk4

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #66 on: July 15, 2009, 07:38:34 PM »
yeah ive seen that before. im assuming the most important part of that comparison any of that is the infinitesimally higher self noise. regardless of sensitivity, they both handle equivalent input levels.

sensitivity is not completely out of line considering the cmc6 is designed to drive high-level balanced equipment and the cmr is designed to feed lower level unbalanced gear.

also i beleive the 79db S/N is more a function of the capsule itself, so should be virtually identical.

capsule noise should exceed preamp/body noise of either setup for all intents and purposes

Here's a comparison, but I'd guess the SNR is lower on the CMR as compared to a CMC6

MK4/CMR                      mk4/CMC6
Sensitivity        8mV/Pa                        13mV/PA
noise level        29db CCIR/18db AW        24dB CCIR/15dB AW
S/N level          not published                 79db-A
max SPL          130dB SPL                      132dB SPL
« Last Edit: July 15, 2009, 07:40:38 PM by jerryfreak »

Offline funkoff13

• wishes leisure suits would come back in style.
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • strawberry fields central park november 2008
« Reply #67 on: July 15, 2009, 08:07:11 PM »
Lots of information and technical knowledge going over my head here  :laugh: But that's great!

Apparently the MK4s needs a lot of juice therefore the Nbox (Nbox+ better?) with its 4 9V-batteries is recommended? I see some of you mention Church-Audio's preamps, will they do the job just as good?

join the 60V parade!! 

what comps?

you cant compare a mic to a mic+pre, i need an equivalent gain stage to determine if the cmrs are in fact inferior to regular-powered active caps as you claim

so uh, my nbox has a bypass for the pre.  we call it the nbox s-type in minus mode.  lets do it. 

jerryfreak, shouldn't you be in the YS finding gear to buy from one member and sell to another at a profit?  i'm not sayin' i'm just sayin'

Offline funkoff13

« Reply #68 on: July 15, 2009, 08:11:10 PM »
plus, i cannot speak for nicky but i am sure he could build an nbox minus that only has the 60V power you crave.

Offline funkoff13

« Reply #69 on: July 15, 2009, 08:12:50 PM »
said in your best redneck, whiskey drunk w.va voice  :P

well thats some serious shit talking there! considering youve never laid your hands on a cmr.  :D

yes, i dig that you are basically putting words in my mouth and claiming i said something i never did, which is bullshit, ya dig?

i never even brought up sound quality. you may notice that post was prefaced 'gain structure aside....'

obviously with a schoeps setup powering the capsules correctly to operate them at their full potential is the more difficult part. there are a dozen small preamp solutions not even considering internal gain stages of recorders. its up to the user to decide what preamp they want to use with these which is obviously highly subjective and probably outside the scope of this thread. yes an nbox is small and has a built in gain stage, a better apples to apples comparison would probably be nbox vs church pre+cmrs. sound quality would need to be evaluated but when it comes to powering the caps in a small footprint, the cmrs are gonna win everytime regardless of what you put behind them

Not looking for a debate, and I give you credit for all your R&D with the CMR cables.  However you are saying that they are the end all soultion for a small schoeps rig and while you and a few others are getting good results with them it sure does not mean that it is the best sounding solution is what I'm saying..You dig. 

I didn't put any words in your mouth but I'll put an Nbox up against your CMR cables and bet money the Nbox would blow them away every time...Now I said it..I think the CMR cables are an inferior way to run the Schoeps..My opinion :P
« Last Edit: July 15, 2009, 08:16:37 PM by funkoff13 »

Offline funkoff13

« Reply #70 on: July 15, 2009, 08:18:16 PM »
because sound quality really doesn't matter as long as it says schoeps cmr right mr. freak?

Youre on!

send me a gain stage that is identical schematic to the nbox but doesnt power the caps and i be glad to compare them, i have several friends with nboxes i can borrow

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #71 on: July 15, 2009, 08:31:11 PM »
i think you need some new material, just sayin'. i think that joke got tired oh, a few years ago

unless youre gonna volunteer your nbox for this experiment, i dont see a lot of intelligent contribution to the thread from your end, just sayin'

jerryfreak, shouldn't you be in the YS finding gear to buy from one member and sell to another at a profit?  i'm not sayin' i'm just sayin'

Offline funkoff13

« Reply #72 on: July 15, 2009, 08:42:37 PM »
that was the point....

i think i did offer up my box....maybe a reread is in order.  i have to admit i will need some sort of legally binding contract with you as i dont trust that you wouldn't sell it behind my back in the YS for a profit. 

and what does any of that have to do with the fact that you have ripped off other members. 

i think you need some new material, just sayin'. i think that joke got tired oh, a few years ago

unless youre gonna volunteer your nbox for this experiment, i dont see a lot of intelligent contribution to the thread from your end, just sayin'

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #73 on: July 15, 2009, 08:43:48 PM »
hows this for an offer?

eat a  bag of dicks and ill borrow someone elses?

that was the point....

i think i did offer up my box....maybe a reread is in order.  i have to admit i will need some sort of legally binding contract with you as i dont trust that you wouldn't sell it behind my back in the YS for a profit. 

and what does any of that have to do with the fact that you have ripped off other members. 

Offline manitouman

• Trade Count: (36)
  • Los Bulls!!!
« Reply #74 on: July 15, 2009, 08:56:52 PM »
 :gun: :rockets:
Mics: AKG CK31, CK32>LM 3> MPA III

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.075 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com