Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Poll

Should stealth discussion be conducted stealthily on ts.com?

I'm apathetic; I really don't care one way or the other.
29 (14.7%)
No, it's OK to discuss stealth taping on ts.com.
72 (36.5%)
Yes, stealth discussion should not be conducted publicly on ts.com.
35 (17.8%)
I'd prefer stealth conversation to be conducted stealthily, but I don't think it matters much
53 (26.9%)
I hate stealth taping/discussion altogether and wish there was a way for ts.com to ban it completely
8 (4.1%)

Total Members Voted: 194

Author Topic: Poll: Should Stealth Discussion Be Stealth?  (Read 39340 times)

Offline JonG

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: Poll: Should Stealth Discussion Be Stealth?
« Reply #75 on: June 28, 2012, 11:16:29 PM »
I don't mind either way, but what I always found weird when I was wholly new to taping was being told to PM someone about stealth, when I had absolutely no idea who to PM. I imagine that any new members here, that are looking to stealth, that see posts that boil down to 'PM somebody' and wonder who it is they're supposed to be messaging. Random members? The person who just told them to shut up? Perhaps a list of people that are comfortable speaking about stealthing and sharing their techniques can be compiled and made a sticky somewhere, but considering the overall vibe coming from a lot of you here, I don't suppose that would happen.

Edit-
Frig it, I've made it known in my signature should anyone come across any of my posts whilst wondering what to do.

Edit2-
I'd like to clarify that I understand this stuff isn't difficult to figure out, and the wealth of information here******* on gear and venues is plenty enough, but still...
« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 09:15:51 AM by JonG »
------
https://etreedb.org/EnglishSkylarking
https://lcdb.org/user/EnglishSkylarking
https://archive.org/details/@englishskylarking
------
AT943 / CMC-8 > R-07
AT943 / CMC-8 > SP-ATEN-1 > SP-SAPM-1-USB-C > Zenfone 8
ZS100

Offline bryonsos

• Omni addict
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • If it's important, tell me to write it down.
    • LMA uploads
« Reply #76 on: June 29, 2012, 04:26:10 AM »

Frig it, I've made it known in my signature should anyone come across any of my posts whilst wondering what to do.

This will likely help someone out. I think the real problem is with the eager newbs that want instant gratification and information, and don't read/do research before posting. I lurked this forum ~mo. before I joined. It was quickly obvious who the  >:D artists are, and who amongst them would be approachable if I wanted to ask. It was also obvious that the TS regulars don't openly discuss this topic unless pressed. We have no real choice when a newb comes along, respond to their post (Hoff 'em if needed), PM the good bits if they're serious, and hope they stick around and end up contributing to the community.
Mics: 3 Zigma Chi HA-FX (COL-251, c, h, o-d, o-f) / Avenson STO-2 / Countryman B3s
Pres: CA-Ugly / Naiant Tinyhead / SD MixPre
Decks: Roland R-44 / Sony PCM-M10
GAKables
Dead Muppets

My recordings LMA / BT / TTD

Offline eman

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Return of the Shredi
« Reply #77 on: June 29, 2012, 10:52:08 AM »
Patience, Ed Gruberman. The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step. Here's a fairly obvious tip: practice at home, in the dark. Even the PM thing is somewhat suspicious from someone with all of 6 posts. How do we know you are a taper and not a bouncer? And seriously, his thread is filled with people who have indicated their area of expertise. Pick somebody who is saying we should be able to post openly. That's not me, BTW.
Theologically speaking, the two parties have divided the Seven Deadly Sins as follows: Republicans oppose lust, sloth and envy; Democrats scorn gluttony, greed, wrath and pride. Little progress is reported. -Gene Lyons

Offline JonG

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #78 on: June 29, 2012, 12:52:47 PM »
In the cases of the people I've talked to stealthing about, it's already clear that they're taping because they've already shared some of their sources and are looking for extra tips. Most of what I say boils down to picking a technique and working with it to perfect it, fixing things that make you uncomfortable. If they mention any methods they use or are curious about I'll touch on them, but I don't get very detailed, nor do I provide step by step instructions. Just some pointers.

If somebody PM'd me without any posts and/or had no sources to show, I would be hesitant to provide any help.
------
https://etreedb.org/EnglishSkylarking
https://lcdb.org/user/EnglishSkylarking
https://archive.org/details/@englishskylarking
------
AT943 / CMC-8 > R-07
AT943 / CMC-8 > SP-ATEN-1 > SP-SAPM-1-USB-C > Zenfone 8
ZS100

Offline Sloan Simpson

• Trade Count: (1)
    • Southern Shelter
« Reply #79 on: June 29, 2012, 02:07:06 PM »
I voted yes, 'cause it's fun to see moke lose his mind about it  ;D

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #80 on: June 29, 2012, 03:47:40 PM »
I voted yes, 'cause it's fun to see moke lose his mind about it  ;D

Don't mess with The Hoff.

Offline darktrain

• Trade Count: (715)
  • Whats next?
« Reply #81 on: June 29, 2012, 09:51:15 PM »
I could care less if it is talked about or not, I just don't think its a issue like it was before digital recorders and cell phones, I don't know if i am complacent or not but I don't even get nervous getting into venues anymore and I have never felt like security was looking for a taper, hell I have stood 3 feet away from security guys many times and still checked a level now and again. Its neither here nor there in IMO. That being said, specific technics probably belong in a pm but really how serious is a guy making 8-10 bucks an hour for a 4-6 hour gig going to take his job to the point that he scours the internet to get a tip just to bust a guy only to tell the guy to put his rig away or take it to the car....really ::)

Offline robeti

• Trade Count: (39)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #82 on: June 30, 2012, 05:48:33 AM »
I could care less if it is talked about or not, I just don't think its a issue like it was before digital recorders and cell phones, I don't know if i am complacent or not but I don't even get nervous getting into venues anymore and I have never felt like security was looking for a taper, hell I have stood 3 feet away from security guys many times and still checked a level now and again. Its neither here nor there in IMO. That being said, specific technics probably belong in a pm but really how serious is a guy making 8-10 bucks an hour for a 4-6 hour gig going to take his job to the point that he scours the internet to get a tip just to bust a guy only to tell the guy to put his rig away or take it to the car....really ::)

This might be true in the US. In Europe things are different.
mics schoeps mk22/mk4/mk41 (matched) | nakamichi cm-300 (JB mod/cp1/cp2/cp3) | nakamichi cm-50 | primo em4052pmi4's | sp-cmc-4u/at-853 4.7k mod (shotguns/h/c/sc/o) | ca-11 c/o | ca-14 c
power ca-ubb | ca-9200 | nbob actives > baby nbox | schoeps cmbi (pair)
recorder roland r-05 
video panasonic zs100 | panasonic hdc-sd600 | sony hx9v | sony hx50v | samsung s23 ultra
playback fiio m17 > final d8000

Online Sebastian

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #83 on: June 30, 2012, 07:17:53 AM »

No, they are not. If anything, stealthing here is easier than at most other places in the world.

Offline robeti

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #84 on: June 30, 2012, 07:26:51 AM »

No, they are not. If anything, stealthing here is easier than at most other places in the world.

For audio yes.
For audio + video no.

See you're from Germany. Good luck stealthing audio+video there.
mics schoeps mk22/mk4/mk41 (matched) | nakamichi cm-300 (JB mod/cp1/cp2/cp3) | nakamichi cm-50 | primo em4052pmi4's | sp-cmc-4u/at-853 4.7k mod (shotguns/h/c/sc/o) | ca-11 c/o | ca-14 c
recorder roland r-05 
video panasonic zs100 | panasonic hdc-sd600 | sony hx9v | sony hx50v | samsung s23 ultra

Offline owainturner

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #85 on: June 30, 2012, 08:12:53 AM »

For audio yes.
For audio + video no.

See you're from Germany. Good luck stealthing audio+video there.

Here in the UK it's super-easy to stealth audio, pat downs are rare and wands are almost unheard of. As for video? Yeah, if they say 'no cameras' then they mean 'no cameras'.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 08:14:42 AM by owainturner »

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #86 on: June 30, 2012, 09:23:18 AM »
but really how serious is a guy making 8-10 bucks an hour for a 4-6 hour gig going to take his job to the point that he scours the internet to get a tip just to bust a guy only to tell the guy to put his rig away or take it to the car....really ::)

How about the director of the theatre who knows you by name, and may also sit next to you?  It isn't take it to the car, it is "you are banned" from a top venue in the country.  Really.

Offline robeti

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #87 on: June 30, 2012, 02:26:40 PM »
but really how serious is a guy making 8-10 bucks an hour for a 4-6 hour gig going to take his job to the point that he scours the internet to get a tip just to bust a guy only to tell the guy to put his rig away or take it to the car....really ::)

How about the director of the theatre who knows you by name, and may also sit next to you?  It isn't take it to the car, it is "you are banned" from a top venue in the country.  Really.

Almost happened to me doing audio + video in a small club somewhere in Europe. They even wanted to call the police.
Luckily I could talk my way out of it.
recorder roland r-05 

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #88 on: June 30, 2012, 09:13:04 PM »

^ This.

I've actually had that happen. There is a chunk of a tape I have, about 3 songs long, that is crap because she stood RIGHT NEXT TO ME as they scanned the crowd for stuff that wasn't allowed. I figured it better to trash that segment than get caught so I acted normal to prevent drawing attention to myself. Not the only time she did it either...

Remember folks, just cause your environment is lackadaisical, doesn't mean it is for others...
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline perks

• Trade Count: (31)
    • Recordings uploaded to TTD
« Reply #89 on: July 02, 2012, 01:08:12 PM »

Exactly and I know for a fact this scenario has already happened. I think what a lot of folks here are missing is that information on this website has already been used to shut people down.  People are acting like just because they have never been busted it won't happen in the future. Why anyone wants to increase the risk is beyond my comprehension.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 05:47:18 PM by perks »
Mics: Schoeps MK5's, Schoeps MK41's, AT853's (C,SC,H,O), DPA 4061's
Preamps/converters: Schoeps VMS52UB (x2), Nbox (x2), E.A.A. PSP-2 (x2) Grace Lunatec V2, Sound Devices MP-2, DPA MMA6000, Naiant Tinybox v1.5, Naiant PiPsqueak, Church Ugly, Apogee Mini-Me, Benchmark AD2k+
Recorders: Tascam DR-680, Korg MR-1, Edirol R-05, Sony PCM-M10 (x2), Tascam DR-07, Marantz PMD-661, Sound Devices Mixpre-3

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.265 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com