Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Help with stealth soundboards!  (Read 22781 times)

Offline tibbsa

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: Help with stealth soundboards!
« Reply #105 on: December 20, 2004, 01:00:40 PM »
Here is Seattle, we have a thriving Blues scene, yet I have contacted 5 or 6 really cool local bands and they are all freaked out by the idea of their music being distributed.  In a few instances I have tried to explain the benefits of taping and trading but have nothing but more shit.  I suppose I might have more success approaching them at a gig and putting them on the spot.

I've run into the same thing here in Ottawa.  I have contacted a few individuals / small groups, and they got rather annoyed, saying that they would not, under any circumstances, allow taping, and neither would anyone they know who has a CD out, since that effectively kills sales. 

I tried to explain, but suffice it to say, there was no convincing them...

urobouros

« Reply #106 on: December 20, 2004, 03:12:16 PM »
I've tried different phrasing, but essentially let them know I have no intention of distributing the show unless they specifically ask me to do so.  Most bands that I've contacted are nice enough about telling me no.  I did have one guy get fairly pissed that I would even ask and never esponded when I gave him the Dead, Phish, and Dave Matthews as examples of taper-friendly bands that thrived despite open taping policies.  I think the RIIA lawsuits have as much a negative effect in terms of the stigma created for any type of free distribution as do any specific experiences.  Oh well.  I'll keep trying!! ;D

cleantone

« Reply #107 on: December 20, 2004, 04:52:21 PM »
WOW, I just read this whole thread and need to chime in...

First, are we sure this guy is real? I guess the MP3 he posted is proof that he is. I'm listening to it, it's okay, not the perfect mix you advertise. The verb and delay length is kinda gross on these loud vocals, it need to tail off quicker. But in the club it was probably fine. The "best" part of this SBD is the out of key Bob Marley "Woy-oh" call outs with no audience reply on tape! As someone else pointed out the drums don't work well in this mix, the vocals make it almost unlistenable to me. The Bass sounds has no "air". The lead is too low sometimes. The guitarist sounds okay but I am not a new fan by ANY means. Anyway to the point of this post...

The biggest problem that you create by this is as others have pointed out, your making a bad name for tapers. Bottom line. If you care about the hobby, please cut the bullshit. You went ahead with your stealth after ALL of us tried to reason with you on why you shouldn't.

Beyond that, only one person here touched on an important issue.

You dont want to know how close I almost came to plugging in my P1 w/Phantom power on... WOAH! close!

If you were to use XLR's and take a 2nd main output, group output, or matrix output and send phantom power, some boards would need repair. I think some can "deal" so to speak but non the less thats a definite no no!

Your "monitor output" you decided to go with could give you the worst recording ever. Thats the same signal path as the headphone jack. So if this FOH guy (who seems competant) was to use any PFL/solo it would "go to tape" giving you a few seconds of only bass, or gtr, or snr, or whatever he solos. That would sound like crap. I use PFL's all the time when I do sound.

On boards I'm familiar with the only output that always has signal is the tape output RCA jacks. Sometimes they have a trim, most times they don't. I guess smaller boards that have XLR and 1/4" mains usually have signal to both equally. In most cases taking feeds from any other output requires routing on the board. Whether it's a trim know or matrix routing with buttons. Maybe sometimes the signal has been routed there already and you've lucked out. But a group out, matrix out, sometimes 2nd main require routing from the enigineer. Do you plan to go push faders when he goes out for a smoke or to the bathroom too?

I can see this guy behind the rack trying to take feeds from house EQ, or system compressors too... You should seriously consider NOT doing this from now on. If you don't have permission, you shouldn't touch the console. Even if you DID know what you were doing.

-T!!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.121 seconds with 28 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com