Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: JW Mod 460's > what Pre/ADC?  (Read 30439 times)

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Retired Taper
JW Mod 460's > what Pre/ADC?
« on: August 14, 2005, 10:30:37 PM »
I just got a pair of stock 460's and plan on having the JW mod done shortly.  The only sources I've heard with these were the Pmod and T+mod UA-5 on the Archive.  What does everyone else like to run behind these?  Anyone have some sources they can share?
« Last Edit: August 14, 2005, 10:35:51 PM by thegreatgumbino »
It’s not what you look like when you’re doin’ what you’re doin’, it’s what your doin’ when you’re doin’ what you look like your doin’…express yourself. - Charles Wright

My recordings on the Archive

Offline EA

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: JW Mod 460's > what?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2005, 10:41:24 PM »
I just got a pair of stock 460's and plan on having the JW mod done shortly.  The only sources I've heard with these were the Pmod and T+mod UA-5 on the Archive.  What does everyone else like to run behind these?  Anyone have some sources they can share?

I ran my JW mod 460's > V2 > tod mod SBM1 most of the time and loved the combo. I'm sure they'd sound great with a V3. I ran 'em a few times with a mini-me and it also sounded really nice but too warm for my particular tastes (I like my recordings transparent). You're gonna love your mod 460's no matter what you run them into.
Why is there no boxing in the special olympics?

Offline fozzy

• Trade Count: (2)
  • move along, nothing much to see here
Re: JW Mod 460's > what Pre/ADC?
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2005, 10:59:51 PM »
MP2 > modSBM1

MK 4V > KCY 250/5 Ig (KS 10I)  > VST62IUg > 722

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Retired Taper
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2005, 11:15:57 PM »
Can you run 24 bits with the SBM1?  What's the difference between the tod mod and the Oade mod SBM1?  Don't flame me for not using the search function...yet.  Just figured I'd pose the question since you guys were referencing them.  Also, since I've never done any research on the SBM1 or the MP2, what's the sound comparable to...warm?
It’s not what you look like when you’re doin’ what you’re doin’, it’s what your doin’ when you’re doin’ what you look like your doin’…express yourself. - Charles Wright

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2005, 11:25:57 PM »
no 24 bits with the sbm1

I suggest you reference the ongoing oade modsbm1 thread in pre/ad section for the differences in the two as it is a pretty technical question and you're better off reading it yourself so nothing gets lost in the translation :)

the oade modsbm1 is colored and warm
I think the todd modsbm1 is cleaner
a regular is sbm1 is not warm, it's a bit digital sounding... a little bright but not terribly so

the mp2 is a transformer based preamp, it's got a beefy lowend and is a bit colored
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline dgodwin

• AT4041->Tascam DR-100mkiii
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2005, 11:30:08 PM »
Can you run 24 bits with the SBM1?  What's the difference between the tod mod and the Oade mod SBM1?  Don't flame me for not using the search function...yet.  Just figured I'd pose the question since you guys were referencing them.  Also, since I've never done any research on the SBM1 or the MP2, what's the sound comparable to...warm?

There's no 24bit sbm-1's.  Oade doesn't do the sbm-1 afaik.  Todd R is doing them now.  There's information about them here: http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=48138.0;topicseen   The oade SBM-1 is described as having a warm sound.  I don't know about the MP2.   I run stock 460's with a PS2 (phantom power only) and a stock SBM-1   The last show I taped can be found here  Also, fwiw, I've just jumped on a t+ mod UA5, so I've sold or am in the process of selling my PS2 and SBM-1.  Just trying something different...   

edit:  damn tim are you fast...

Ray76

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2005, 06:34:44 AM »

There's no 24bit sbm-1's.  Oade doesn't do the sbm-1 afaik.  Todd R is doing them now.  There's information about them here: http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=48138.0;topicseen   The oade SBM-1 is described as having a warm sound.  I don't know about the MP2.   I run stock 460's with a PS2 (phantom power only) and a stock SBM-1   The last show I taped can be found here  Also, fwiw, I've just jumped on a t+ mod UA5, so I've sold or am in the process of selling my PS2 and SBM-1.  Just trying something different...   

edit:  damn tim are you fast...

Oade did two different line stage mods...Presence and Warm...majority being warm....but yeah, read the ongoing discussion....

Offline JAH

• Taperssection Member
  • The kids they dance, they shake their bones!
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2005, 07:58:57 AM »
I ran the Nissan ABB show 1st set using the JW mod 461's (madian voyage) into the MME...I can send if you want...just pm me.

peace
jah
Taping, it's a team sport!
km140/150>M148>mme or msbm-1
...yes screwdriver impaired
modified akg 461/2/ck8
iH120...and a slew of dat decks ;-(

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Retired Taper
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2005, 12:27:48 PM »
Thanks for the info guys.  I really want to set myself up for 24 bit incase the microtracker ever materializes, and I don't want to run an R4 or 722.  Just trying to work out the options and get a feel for what everyone likes.

I think the T+mod is probably the way that I'll head to save some cash for a new playback system to do the 24 bit justice.

edit for spelling.

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2005, 06:28:18 PM »
i bet jwmod460's>v3 would sound YUMMY!
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Retired Taper
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2005, 06:39:40 PM »
i bet jwmod460's>v3 would sound YUMMY!

Dammit Bean!  I was just about past wanting the V3, and you had to come along and ruin it for me!   ;D

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2005, 06:41:57 PM »
goose and I ran an a/b comparison of 4022's and jw mod 460's (actives/lemo).
It turned out so very close that you can barely hear any diff. Each mic had its own signature sound, but the diff is so intimately small that it would be difficult to describe.
We recorded a 3 piece acoustic ensemble of harp, flute, and viola from 1st row RoC (by design and intent).

WOW

that says a lot about those mod460's!
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Retired Taper
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2005, 06:49:29 PM »
goose and I ran an a/b comparison of 4022's and jw mod 460's (actives/lemo), both into V3's.
It turned out so very close that you can barely hear any diff. Each mic had its own signature sound, but the diff is so intimately small that it would be difficult to describe.
We recorded a 3 piece acoustic ensemble of harp, flute, and viola from 1st row RoC (by design and intent).

So that would mean you ran the ck1x caps with the 460's right?  I think I read the ck1x is pretty comparable to the ck61, yes?

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Retired Taper
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2005, 06:50:10 PM »
Moke-

Do you have any V3 sources you can share or point me to?  I haven't found any!  I'd sure like to hear it, but I'm afraid it will make me want one even more.  :o

Offline Kyle

• Made it back alive!
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Still loves his mic pre's
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2005, 06:53:03 PM »
goose and I ran an a/b comparison of 4022's and jw mod 460's (actives/lemo).

WOW

that says a lot about those mod460's!

I talked to JW awhile back about the 460 mod and he said that he thought that it was comparable to the 4011, 402x series of mics  -      thanks Moke for the comp - I have been wanting to do this for some time - here is another reason to get this mod done (once I find another 460 body) ;D
Schoeps CMC6/MK4  //  Nakamichi CM-300/CP-1/CP-2
E.A.A. PSP-2   // Grace Design Lunatec V2
Sonic AD2K+ 
Tascam HD-P2 (Oade BCM)  //  Sony TC-D5 PROII

Duncan - 12/84 > 8/8/05 - Miss you everyday

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.073 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com