Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: JW Mod 460's > what Pre/ADC?  (Read 30497 times)

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Retired Taper
Re: JW Mod 460's > what Pre/ADC?
« Reply #60 on: August 17, 2005, 11:50:16 AM »
Didn't Nick's run a T-Mod w/ AKG 414 ULS ?

He actually ran an O-mod FR-2.  Here's a copy of his DTB recording.  Sounds pretty damn sweet...and it's blumlein!  Yummy.  ;D

http://www.archive.org/audio/etree-details-db.php?id=20015
It’s not what you look like when you’re doin’ what you’re doin’, it’s what your doin’ when you’re doin’ what you look like your doin’…express yourself. - Charles Wright

My recordings on the Archive

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Retired Taper
« Reply #61 on: August 17, 2005, 06:18:45 PM »
Anybody here run AKG 460/480 > m148 > V3?  What's the consensus?  I've read the m148 brings the soundstage closer to you while the v3 provides the quality detail.
It’s not what you look like when you’re doin’ what you’re doin’, it’s what your doin’ when you’re doin’ what you look like your doin’…express yourself. - Charles Wright

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #62 on: August 17, 2005, 06:23:02 PM »
Bean has run that combo before...
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Retired Taper
« Reply #63 on: August 17, 2005, 06:25:04 PM »

Just finished PM'ing him about getting some copies.  ;D

Offline sygdwm

• unknown sleath taper
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #64 on: August 17, 2005, 06:31:48 PM »
i ran 483>v3 in cinci then 483>148>v3 in deer creek for panic. the latter way smoked but our location was better. i wish i could elaborate but i currently cant play back my dats, but i will say the difference was remarkable. 
mics: (4)akg c460b(a60,mk46,ck1x,ck1,ck2,ck3,ck61,ck63)
pres: oade m148/edirol wmod ua5
recorders: marantz stock671/oade acm671/fostex busman vintage fr2le

(P.S.: On a threaded discussion board like this one, there's no need to repeat someone's post when you reply to them; everyone can see all the messages in the thread.)

Ray76

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #65 on: August 17, 2005, 06:34:11 PM »

Just finished PM'ing him about getting some copies.  ;D

Matt, you D/L my tapes yet??

Teddy

Offline d5

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #66 on: August 17, 2005, 07:50:02 PM »
i recall a pic of all the aprts he sent back FWIW

maybe you posted it tho EA

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=33963.0
JW mod AKG 460/ck61's > Sound Devices 702

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Retired Taper
« Reply #67 on: August 17, 2005, 09:50:14 PM »
Matt, you D/L my tapes yet??

Teddy

Working on it as we speak.  Had shitty download speeds & connectivity problems at work due to thunderstorms.  Just got home and kicked it back on.  Looking forward to hearing it for sure!

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Retired Taper
« Reply #68 on: August 17, 2005, 09:53:52 PM »
the modded ones do sound fantastic, i had a copy of mod vs. non-mod,a nd the mod was GREAT

Hey Bean.  You still have this mod vs. non-mod comp tape?

Offline ts

• Trade Count: (81)
« Reply #69 on: August 21, 2005, 11:20:40 AM »
and it's more than a week. i'm going on 2 now. 350 for the mod/pair. i paid 400 for the active cables with the CK1x caps and 350 for the 460 bodies. so i'll have a total of 1100.00 into a nice pair of JW mod 460's with actives. that i hope won't be too bright sounding.

Let me know if their too bright.  I'll take first dibs on the actives & ck1x caps if/when you decide you don't want them   8)  We can work out the details then  ;D

I ran the JW mod 460's for the first time at ABB the other night(8/19). 17th row just slightly right of center. Used the CK1x caps and actives ORTF @110% and *they are bright sounding, mostly the vocals, almost fatiguing*. My ears are used to bright(Nak 1000's, 700's and unmodded 460's)but these seem even brighter, so they will take some getting used to.  Overall, I'm pleased. I was very hesitant in doing the mod, 'cause I really liked the way they sounded unmodded. Unmodded I pulled consistently good sounding tapes. My first impression on the modded version is that they will take a little more thought on setup and position. Maybe not as forgiving.

Again, these are first impressions in a tent covered outdoor amphitheater. Next Sunday I'll be trying them open air with Jdisc/CK62's, and then indoors with CK63's. So I  should have a good idea of their performance in different situations real soon. Report back later.

Tony

*edited my previous statement after a real good listen, were I first thought they were not bright sounding. These puppies are bright, maybe it's the CK1x caps, maybe the mod460/V3 combo, maybe it was the venue/mix. I don't know. The instrumental tracks are very nice, full sounding. Most Gregg vocal tracks are fatiguing to listen to.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2005, 11:21:47 AM by ts »

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Retired Taper
« Reply #70 on: August 21, 2005, 02:53:58 PM »
I ran the JW mod 460's for the first time at ABB the other night(8/19).

+T for the new mod mics!

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Retired Taper
« Reply #71 on: August 26, 2005, 02:55:31 PM »
The search is over!  An opti mod V3 should be here on Tuesday.   ;D

Now to find a m148.  Oh where oh where can one be?   8)

Ray76

« Reply #72 on: August 26, 2005, 03:02:00 PM »

;D

Offline ts

• Trade Count: (81)
« Reply #73 on: August 29, 2005, 02:39:57 PM »

So I'm beginning to get the impression that the V3 by itself is not the best unit to run behind these mics. Well I don't think I'll be getting rid of my V3 and I doubt I'll be looking for another pre to run in front of it. So it's either get used to this "new" sound or go back to the unmodded 460's. I ran the CK61 caps and found them to be a little less fatiguing than the CK1x caps but still that in your face sound. I find myself wanting to turn the volume down more often, whereas with the unmodded 460's, I could continually increase the volume with very little fatigue. Anyone else with a V3 feel this way.

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Retired Taper
« Reply #74 on: August 29, 2005, 03:15:57 PM »
So I'm beginning to get the impression that the V3 by itself is not the best unit to run behind these mics. Well I don't think I'll be getting rid of my V3 and I doubt I'll be looking for another pre to run in front of it. So it's either get used to this "new" sound or go back to the unmodded 460's. I ran the CK61 caps and found them to be a little less fatiguing than the CK1x caps but still that in your face sound. I find myself wanting to turn the volume down more often, whereas with the unmodded 460's, I could continually increase the volume with very little fatigue. Anyone else with a V3 feel this way.

My V3 gets here tomorrow, so I haven't run it yet.  Hopefully, I won't have the same feelings you do about the mod 460 > V3  :-\

I'm looking forward to hearing the combo though.  If you decide to move away from the 460's I got dibs on your actives and caps  ;)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.085 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com