Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: To nomalize or not?  (Read 25098 times)

Offline Genghis Cougar Mellen Khan

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Tin Can > Wax String > Dictaphone
Re: To nomalize or not?
« Reply #60 on: November 15, 2005, 06:41:40 PM »
Actually, there is noise introduced by the AD process and it is raised by normalizing after the fact.

Or raised when you turn up the volume to compensate for the lower levels on the recording.  6 - 1/2 dozen... or no?
Maybe a couple of small scratches, but thats because these mics are chick magnets.
Girls always up on Andy tryin to grab these mics, the scratches are from their wedding rings.

CMC641 / DPA4022 / DPA4062>mod MPS6030
V3 / PMD671 / field ready DV-RA1000 / Oade W-mod PMD661 / PCM-M10

Offline Digital Quality

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #61 on: November 15, 2005, 06:52:34 PM »
No difference after the fact but since the digital noise does not depend on the pre-amp gain (or noise) it is rasing the noise floor.
You are here: http://www.atlasoftheuniverse.com/
http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/astropix.html

rig:         mk41/21>kc5>cmc6>KindKables>v3>Axim x50v,WM6,live2496
playback: Marantz DV7600>Mackie 1202>Mackie HR824

Offline momule

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #62 on: November 15, 2005, 06:53:20 PM »
Actually, there is noise introduced by the AD process and it is raised by normalizing after the fact.

Or raised when you turn up the volume to compensate for the lower levels on the recording.  6 - 1/2 dozen... or no?

this has been My point over and over...

AKG 463's (uno ck62) > Mackie Onyx Satellite > Microtrack II

Offline Genghis Cougar Mellen Khan

• Tin Can > Wax String > Dictaphone
« Reply #63 on: November 15, 2005, 07:00:22 PM »

this has been My point over and over...

This may be a factor, maybe not...

Where does a solid state amp or tube amp produce the most noise?  Lower volumes or higher?  You could consider the inherent noise of the playback gear into the equation as well.

When you turn up the volume to compensate, you're also amplifying all the inducted noise from playback gear (preamp/cables/amp), no?
Maybe a couple of small scratches, but thats because these mics are chick magnets.
Girls always up on Andy tryin to grab these mics, the scratches are from their wedding rings.

CMC641 / DPA4022 / DPA4062>mod MPS6030
V3 / PMD671 / field ready DV-RA1000 / Oade W-mod PMD661 / PCM-M10

Offline Digital Quality

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #64 on: November 15, 2005, 07:30:46 PM »
Yes, I agree turning it up later makes the same noise power as normalizing.

I'm just trying to make the point that normalizing does raise the noise floor and introduces noise in the recording that can't be removed. It's not the same thing as cranking the pre-amp during the recording because of the constant components. Not trying to make anyone upset.

This may not be related but I remember a problem that is caused by total noise power and not signal to noise ratio.  Gotta get out some books tonight though because that may be realted to wireless instead of DSP just can't remember atm.

zowie

« Reply #65 on: November 15, 2005, 07:51:13 PM »

I'm just trying to make the point that normalizing does raise the noise floor and introduces noise in the recording that can't be removed. It's not the same thing as cranking the pre-amp during the recording because of the constant components. Not trying to make anyone upset.

This may not be related but I remember a problem that is caused by total noise power and not signal to noise ratio.  Gotta get out some books tonight though because that may be realted to wireless instead of DSP just can't remember atm.

What's upsetting is that we went through this already, at considerable effort, earlier in the thread.

What do you mean "introduces noise in the recording that can't be removed."  That's totally not true.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2005, 07:52:46 PM by zowie »

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #66 on: November 15, 2005, 07:57:15 PM »
For any system:

F_12 = F_1 + (F_2 - 1)/G_1
where
F_n = S:N_in/S:N_out

read: overall noise figure = noise figure of the device in question + (noise figure of the measurement - 1)/(gain of the device in question)

Basically an amplifier introduces its own noise into the signal (because G_1 is relatively small) as well as amplifying the incoming signal (along with whatever noise is present). This means that the fewer amplifying components you run through, the better the S:N of the system.

Not sure if that's what you were looking for Riff Raff, but hope it helped.
Out of the game … for now?

Offline Digital Quality

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #67 on: November 15, 2005, 08:55:30 PM »
I read the whole thread and I agree with the 2nd post. Don't always mess with it to get out the last 0.5dB. Is that the solution you came to?

I think it's an interesting problem with lots of variables. Some cool new ones are coming out now as far as "ideal" playback and noise from different systems. Matt's point is the same one I was trying to make. Get the best signal at the beginning of the chain and your noise at playback will be less.

Here is another part of the problem that isn't totally solved yet in my mind. Digitizing the signal  introduces quantization errors. I believe that chainging the gain introduces more quantization errors which adds more noise. I'll look up the math to see if I'm right or not but it's some pretty dusty stuff.

How about the differences in noise in the digital realm vs the analog realm? When you send higher power noise in the digital side of your playback is it really the same as amplifying later on the analog side? I don't really think so.

I think with all these factors there is probably a mathematical answer as to what point it would be best to normalize and at what point you are really introducing more problems.

Offline divamum

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #68 on: November 15, 2005, 09:08:38 PM »
Thanks to all of you for this thread. I have more than once been lambasted for asking Q's about adding compression to classical. The purists' mentality which seems to (rightfully?) prevail here always shuns my tendancy to master things. As I don't really release or seed any of my stuff (classical) I tinker with it, because, frankly, it is more the mastering that draws my attention rather than the taping. I like taping fine, but it's the simple manipulation of the source that interests me, thus I can spend hours working w/ my recordings of live opera. My tapes are really done to give to my fellow singers with whom I am performing, and hell, they'll like anything I give them, so I don't need to worry about the purists mentality.

I DO use Wavelab 5 montages more and more, as all mastering in them is non-destructive. I usually will keep the source untouched, but seriously, you guys that do rock and louder shows w/ less dynamic range would be very hard pressed to tape some classical and be happy with your tapes, ESPECIALLY give the less than ideal circumstances I have to tape in (stealthed and balance problems between orch and singers). HELL YES, I use  eq'ing, punchers, and L2!!! In doing so, I can (shudder) IMPROVE the live sound. There IS a reason why the majority of the POP artists are lipsynching so much of their shows....cuz it sounds BETTER on tape when they're not jiggling their tushes off in some shitty dance move. The same reasoning applies here too. WE have to stop being afraid to 'improve' our tapes.

Does anyone really bemoan the fact that the EXACT duplicate of Caruso's recordings might not be in circulation, or are they happy that they simply GOT him on 'tape?'

This is all very interesting stuff.  My classical sensibilites are of two minds, and always have been (even before I got "into" recording my own performances as i have in the last year or so):  1. Live, warts and all - let us hear it the way it WAS without cleaning it up or "improving" it 2. Clean studio recording, heavily mastered making it sound "as good as possible".  Both have their virtues, but over the years I've definitely decided that I greatly prefer live, no matter WHAT.

Which begs the question, "How much compressing/limiting/mastering is reasonable?"  Well, it depends. There have been times when I'd have given a body part for  hard limiter/compressor just so I didn't wind up with blown out tapes (there are some classical pieces for which it is virtually IMPOSSIBLE to set a successful "all purpose" level - the Verdi Requiem springs to mind, with its supersofts followed by BLARINGLY loud brass).  Even with a good guesstimate for levels for the "normal" parts of the piece, the softs are barely audible and the brass stings are off the scale (fortunately, with one exception I wasn't singing during either of those passages so I still got hte parts of ME that I wanted to get cleanly!)  But generally, I guess I sitll go for "highest FIDELITY" rather than "highest QUALITY" and try to do as little as possible to my own recordings - for the ones taped live in the house (which have been FAR more successful than my efforts at a "studio" recording), it's usually been little more than boosting the volume (very occasionally compressing slightly and THEN boosting hte volume). For the "studio" recording I made of myself - with mixed (possibly even limited) success, I wound up having to add some acoustic ( the preset reverbs in wavlab and soundforge were a nice tool to help) and then twiddled with the EQs until I liked what I heard. I make NO claims for expertise - it was entirely done by the seat of my pants and to see what I could come up with; an exercise I set myself as much as anything else.  

I DID have the good fortune to sit in on a mastering "lesson" earlier in the year, and I learned on helluva a lot, not least of which the fact that I am such a lowly and ignorant noob about what to do and how to do it that it's kind of scary!  But it was fascinating to watch an experienced pro engineer at work, especially since he was willing to answer sooooooooo many questions and demonstrate how he would handle certain situations. I will say, however, that with three of us involved - all professional musicians with excellent ears and a good grasp of both the musical and technical side of things (well, in my case, modest grasp of the latter, perhaps, but certainly better than the average bear) - there were three varied opinions on each and every sound we played/heard/tweaked.  Was an eye-opener, actually, to see how differently we heard/interpreted the same extracts; what one of us thought was "just right" another thought "too much" and the third "not enough".  Goldilocks city....

Anyway, not sure I'm adding much to the discussion except another shout from the classical peanut gallery.  I guess my bottom line is that mastering should be kind of like retouching  a photograph: nothing wrong with enhancing what's already there, but it still needs to "look like the person really did".  Enhance, rather than surgically alter :)  And "how much is enough/too much" is very VERY hard to define!
« Last Edit: November 15, 2005, 11:42:54 PM by divamum »
DPA4060
R09

Offline newblue

• Taperssection Member
  • "Yeah, well, the Dude abides."
« Reply #69 on: November 16, 2005, 09:48:03 AM »

This was my original point.  This seems intuitive to me.  Regarding S:N, there is during amplification a certian S:N ratio associated with this step.  After a recording has been made this ratio is fixed and is relative to the signal strength of the audio.  The situation that I was thinking of was that if a recording is made at -18 dB ceiling and the noise floor is at -98 dB (or whatever) when you normalize the audio portion to 0 dB you also raise the noise in the recording to a level higher than it would have been if you had set the preamp to a 0 dB ceiling.

I am making sense?  I think so.
To be able to fill leisure intelligently is the last product of civilization, and at present very few people have reached this level. - Bertrand Russell

TLM170R/KM184 > V2 > MR-1000 [Zaolla Interconnects]

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • ... A broken angel sings from a guitar
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #70 on: November 16, 2005, 10:16:01 AM »

Does anyone really bemoan the fact that the EXACT duplicate of Caruso's recordings might not be in circulation, or are they happy that they simply GOT him on 'tape?'

If you move your mic stand over 10' to the left you will get different sound.  back, forward, up down whatever... for better or worse this will change the sound of your recording.  Same with configs and gear... there is no true perfectly acurate representation of the sound in the venue.  I understand the purest view, but to me it isn't about the recording it is about the performance, the crowd and the room.  I think the archival of the original recording is important from the stand point that new skils, technology or new technique may allow you to produce a more pleasing recording in the future.  However, making the best out of your recording with properly applied mastering techniques is only a benefit to thoes who may listen and enjoy... the person hearing your recording wants it to be as good as possible, not how it sounded from your seat, with your gear, blah blah blah.  If your recording is for you to enjoy (as most should be) then enjoy them however you want.
     As for normalizing... if you have 80%music and 20% noise, and you increase the levels of your recording in post, you still have 80%music and 20% noise.  To do it on the playback will add additional noise due to the analog aspects of the playback.  Maybe the $10,000 home system suffers this less than the stock car stereo but isn't this really true regardless?  I agree if you are peaking at -.5db you shouldn't mess with it, but if you are 2 or 3 db down that is a huge difference.  In order for an amplifier to produce an additional 1db in sound you have to double the power used!  That is huge at higher volume levels even with the cleanest playback pre's! 
     Bar none... when talking about normalizing the best way to produce a clean recording is to push your levels up to whery you want them when recording.  I'm sure we all agree on that one.

Matt
I do think taping is the reality of the business..it is also an impetus for artists to create studio CDs that are ART, not just another recording...    Fareed Haque  2-4-2005

Canon 24-70 f2.8L, Canon 135 f2L, Canon 70-200 f4L, Canon 50 f1.8, > Canon 5D or Canon xt (digi) and Canon 1N (film)

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #71 on: November 16, 2005, 10:22:01 AM »
While I agree that there is a small amount of noise that is constant (from A/D, etc) and there might be some s/n efficiency which is lost when gain is increased in post, I don't think it is significant (especially for PA/rock recordings). Obviously, we need to measure this because 'hand waving' alone isn't going to settle this much.

Let's say I set the mics up in the basement and record ambient in a quiet house.. I run 20dB of gain in one channel and 35 dB of gain in the other.  I raise the gain of the 20dB channel to match the peak of the 35 dB channel in post. Then measure the noise floor in each channel and compare.  Seems like that would provide some real data.  Where this method gets ugly (and may not work) is making sure the mics are equal, etc.  I suppose the 'control' would be comparing the noise floor on each mic at the same amount of preamp gain. The 722 is probably good for this test since it reports the gain setting in dB.

The other gotcha.. Some pre-amps are very noisy as the gain is cranked. The UA5 seems to get disproportionally noisy at higher gain. So does the minime.   I don't know for a fact that the noise is disproportional up there. It may just be a high noise floor to begin with that just gets more noticable. The pre in the 722 is much quieter. I hear the V3 is very quiet but I haven't played with one.

Offline newblue

• Taperssection Member
  • "Yeah, well, the Dude abides."
« Reply #72 on: November 16, 2005, 10:40:26 AM »
An experiment sounds like a good idea.  I'm not trying to drive home a point but I would like to know just for the knowing.   :hmmm:

The method you describe sounds like a good approach.
To be able to fill leisure intelligently is the last product of civilization, and at present very few people have reached this level. - Bertrand Russell

TLM170R/KM184 > V2 > MR-1000 [Zaolla Interconnects]

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • ... A broken angel sings from a guitar
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #73 on: November 16, 2005, 11:05:03 AM »

The other gotcha.. Some pre-amps are very noisy as the gain is cranked. The UA5 seems to get disproportionally noisy at higher gain. So does the minime.   I don't know for a fact that the noise is disproportional up there. It may just be a high noise floor to begin with that just gets more noticable. The pre in the 722 is much quieter. I hear the V3 is very quiet but I haven't played with one.

this is true with stock/digi ua5's  There is tons of noise at higher gain settings.  It is better after doug or busman is done with them though.  This is actually a good point.  For a very quiet recording with some pre's it may be much better to normalize in post than to push the levels.
     I think your test sounds like a good idea.  make sure you turn off your furnace and flouresant lights etc.

Matt
I do think taping is the reality of the business..it is also an impetus for artists to create studio CDs that are ART, not just another recording...    Fareed Haque  2-4-2005

Canon 24-70 f2.8L, Canon 135 f2L, Canon 70-200 f4L, Canon 50 f1.8, > Canon 5D or Canon xt (digi) and Canon 1N (film)

BobW

« Reply #74 on: November 19, 2005, 08:59:03 PM »
From what some recording engineers have told me, even just "adding gain" is destructive.  Audible?  No idea.

If my peaks are 0 to -3db, I don't normalize.  If they are lower, I'll always normalize the 16bit version, sometimes the 24bit.

Never raise noisefloor, especially prior to dithering, is the point I think.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.12 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com