Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Do tapers have fun at shows  (Read 22296 times)

Offline Wiggle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • So soft. Clearly meant to be loved by humans.
Re: Do tapers have fun at shows
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2006, 09:21:26 AM »
I stopped being the "front row guy" a few years ago. The TS was the next logical step for me. ;D

Swap 'guy' with 'gal' and that was me a few years ago too. I find music sounds so much better just about anywhere but the front row. Not to mention that part of me gets off on watching the crowd get into the show too. The further back I am (within reason) to take it ALL in the better.
Open: SP C4/MSH-1O > Nick's Picks hydra cables > BM2P+ UA-5 > iRiver H120
Optional: Giant Squid cards > iRiver H120

Offline JoeKiller

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Duo!
    • JoeKiller.com
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2006, 09:26:08 AM »
I stopped being the "front row guy" a few years ago. The TS was the next logical step for me. ;D

Swap 'guy' with 'gal' and that was me a few years ago too. I find music sounds so much better just about anywhere but the front row. Not to mention that part of me gets off on watching the crowd get into the show too. The further back I am (within reason) to take it ALL in the better.

True that.  Some of the most fun I have is watching all the people doing crazy stuff and having fun.  Also, I figure I'm a bit too much of a booze hound to go all the way up front.  I'll have to pee eventually (no nalgene)  Generally the only problem I have is when the show is over and I'm picking up a chick, I gotta be like, lemme run this shit outside and sometimes I miss her, or if my friends are like, lets go hang with the band, sometimes I miss that transition but its totally 100% worth it. 
spc4>mme>mt

Archive List

Offline tapeheadtoo

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
    • My Dime stuff
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2006, 09:35:21 AM »
I love everything about live music, and think that taping would be a good thing thing for me to do, but don't want to sacrifice some things I enjoy about shows dancing,drinking,"other things",being social, and I like to be up close to the stage (I realise that's pretty obvious, won't be able to do that), but do you have to kinda be by your equipment all night? 

For the band I tape the most, and for certain other artists, I am a fan first... meaning I would rather be up front.  I have taped from the front row a handful of times...  It is certainly doable and depending on whether the taping gods are watching over you it IS possible to get a decent tape.

One pull I have fond memories of was a Yes symphonic show back in 2001 in Interlochen, MI.  I ran my Sonics and MZR70 MD completely stealth (no visible wires, no touching deck from beginning to end) from the front row.  I was directly in front of the PA for the orchestra.  The recording sucked... 80% orchestra, 20% band, in mono...  but I had a great time and it was the only tape to ever surface from that show.   (Plus, having had experience playing in an orchestra, it was real interesting to hear exactly what was going on back there, as it was usually drowned out by the band.)
Mics: Schoeps MK4, DPA 4061, AT953, Shure MV88
Preamps/BB: Nbox, tinybox, ST-9100, CA-UGLY, SP-SPSB-10
Recorders: In use--Teenage Engineering TX6, Tascam DR-2d, Sony PCM-A10, Zoom L-20R; collecting dust--Sony M10, Ediirol R-09, Zoom H4n, Zoom H6, Cymatic LR16
Video: In use--Panasonic VX981, Panasonic ZS100, GoPro Hero 10/11; collecting dust--Sony HDR-CX520V, Sony HX9V, Panasonic ZS3/ZS7

Offline Aaron41

• Needs to get out more...
  • Quack
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2006, 09:42:45 AM »
I've been wondering this the last couple shows I've been hitting. Yes I have fun at the shows but taping can definitely put some strain on the evening. I will say though that I find it hard NOT to tape. I'd imagine I'd feel worse not having taped an event than taping it and not enjoying it as much in person.
"The pizza game has treated me well" - Evil Taper

Offline wbrisette

• Trade Count: (2)
    • Homepage
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2006, 09:45:41 AM »
I think it all depends on what you call fun. I walk away from my gear, but only if I know it's in a secure area or that the crowd isn't going to mess with it. But, I have fun at shows too, but for me that's sans any extras other than some beer or wine (or the ocassional vodka & tonic). But I'm a music geek, I love music and love recording. I'm not much into the whole dance thing, or being a "front row joe", so hanging back a bit is just fine with me... and really for me that's all part of the fun.

Wayne
Mics: Earthworks SR-77 (MP), QTC-1 (MP)

Editing: QSC RMX2450, MOTU 2408 MK3, Earthworks Sigma 6.2

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2006, 10:15:49 AM »
Sorry if this had been posted I couldn't find it, if anyone knows of a link just post it

So I'm thinking about getting started in taperdom, I have a good hook up for the gear to get started and I'm looking into it and researching.  One main thing that I need to know is how is taping a show different from just attending a show.  I love everything about live music, and think that taping would be a good thing thing for me to do, but don't want to sacrifice some things I enjoy about shows dancing,drinking,"other things",being social, and I like to be up close to the stage (I realise that's pretty obvious, won't be able to do that), but do you have to kinda be by your equipment all night?  Not that I need these things to enjoy a show.  So, what I'm looking for is all of your oppinions on this matter, I hope you understand what I'm trying to ask:  How is the experience different when taping? 

I hope to learn from your experiences
Thanks
Ben

The biggest difference between taping and not-taping is your mobility.  At least for me, I don't feel comfortable leaving my gear out and like to be where I can watch it.

I stopped dancing and partying a long time ago and became a chill-in-the-back guy, so taping was natural.  If you still want to go crazy, I don't think taping will be fun for you, you might even find it boring.

However, that's not saying you can't become a patcher...  That might be the way to go...

Terry

***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline Sanjay

• www.drivebytruckers.com/tourdiary.html
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2006, 11:03:04 AM »
If it wasn't fun I wouldn't tape.  Taping for me is solely a way for me to preserve and have a copy of the concert I went to, its not a contest, its not a race, and its not a job.  As soon as it stops being fun for me i'll quit since I want to have fun at the concerts I go to.  There are several tapers who I know who think of taping as a Race, they sit, have no fun, are really pissy at other people for coming within 10 feet of their stand, and at the end of the night have the tape converted before I pull into my driveway.  I've even seen one taper set up and go back to his car and go to sleep for the majority of the show, coming back later to get his stuff.  These people probably don't have any fun at concerts, but its what they want out of it.

Its all what you make of it, as long as you tell yourself that your enjoyment of the concert comes first you will leave happy and probably still with a copy of the show. 
mics & cameras

Offline Kevin Straker

• The Shogun of Easley
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2006, 11:33:41 AM »
Keeping the dumbasses off your stand is the only real headache. Otherwise, I still dance around, drink beer and partake of the occassional.....whatever. We have a pretty good group of tapers in the SE and it's fun to get out and hang with friends that share a common interest.
People on ludes should not drive...
J. Spicoli

mk4,mk21>kc5>cmc6>V3>SD722

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • ... A broken angel sings from a guitar
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2006, 11:38:18 AM »
I have a great time at concerts I tape!  I feel strange if I'm at a show and I'm not taping.  When I first started taping I had a girl who loved to go to show's as much as me, but she had a lot less fun when I was recording because my attention was no longer on her.  I actually prefer to go to shows alone when I am taping so that I can focus just on that.   I'll move from my rig to go into the crowd from time to time each show, and I drink a few beers but I don't get trashed... I don't typically get trashed anyways.  The challange of getting the great pull is a very exciting thing for me.  Sometimes you nail it, and sometimes you don't!
     Sometimes when I bring my full multitrack rig out (this is my personal "prefered" way to tape) the load-in > setup > tear-down can get old, but I have gotten to know so many bands, venues and engineers by being there early/late that I often get in for free, or atleast early when I bring that rig out, so that is a nice perk.  My ambient rig is now a very small open rig and bringing that out is just pure pleasure.  Some shows I am at, I know the band is running on all 8 and if I am the only taper I get huge satisfaction knowing I preserved a very special moment in time that would otherwise never be heard by outside ears.  I guess for me the fun is there but it is the ending satisfaction that makes me want to do it again.  I look at some of my recordings on the archive and see that hundereds or thousands of people have downloaded my source and I feel pretty proud of myself!  One band actually thanked me in the liner notes of their first album because they attribute a lot of their early success to my first recording of them and then the efforts of of other tapers via the buzz I started about them through the TS taping community.
     Then add to that all the friends I have made at shows with just hardcore fans of the artist, bands archivists, other tapers, or even just the people who come up and want to know what I am doing and how to get started.  Taping is cool as shit!

Matt

*edit*  When I first started out I was very anal about staying with my rig, staring at my meters, checking to make sure batts were OK, and gurding my shit.  I have since relaxed and I think that would be true for most people who have been taping for awhile.  First few shows are a little nervewracking but fun nonetheless.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2006, 11:40:15 AM by mmmatt »
I do think taping is the reality of the business..it is also an impetus for artists to create studio CDs that are ART, not just another recording...    Fareed Haque  2-4-2005

Canon 24-70 f2.8L, Canon 135 f2L, Canon 70-200 f4L, Canon 50 f1.8, > Canon 5D or Canon xt (digi) and Canon 1N (film)

Offline leehookem

• Texas Tapers
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2006, 11:48:29 AM »
I've got to say I have a great time taping at shows.  There is the random person around your mics that are bound to bug you... but thats life.  After recording several shows it will stop bugging you and you will get used to it.  Also, I have met some very kind people in the taper section.

I think one key for me to having fun is that we have a few local tapers here that are at most shows.  We have fun with each other and if any of us decide to leave the taper section to hit the rail or go get drinks we know that the rest of us will look out for our gear so there are really now worries.

Taping became much of an addiction for me and I love doing it.
that sums up taping here in Austin too!
www.texastapers.org

AKG c480b ck61/ck63 > Tascam DR-70D
Oade ACM Marantz PMD-671
AKG ck61/63 > NBob Actives > Naiant PFA > Tascam DR-70D
Oade ACM Marantz PMD-671
Audiophile 2496 > Mytek Stereo96 DAC > Sony MDR-7506
Dual 1229 > Marantz 2270 > Kimber Kables > Cerwin Vega VS120

Canon Rebel XSi, EF 50 mm f/1.8, EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS

Offline Liquid Drum

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2006, 12:31:36 PM »
If it wasn't fun I wouldn't tape.  Taping for me is solely a way for me to preserve and have a copy of the concert I went to, its not a contest, its not a race, and its not a job.  As soon as it stops being fun for me i'll quit since I want to have fun at the concerts I go to.  There are several tapers who I know who think of taping as a Race, they sit, have no fun, are really pissy at other people for coming within 10 feet of their stand, and at the end of the night have the tape converted before I pull into my driveway.  I've even seen one taper set up and go back to his car and go to sleep for the majority of the show, coming back later to get his stuff.  These people probably don't have any fun at concerts, but its what they want out of it.

Its all what you make of it, as long as you tell yourself that your enjoyment of the concert comes first you will leave happy and probably still with a copy of the show. 

These people are mainly sellers, I reckon.

They only care about a decent tape so they can make a quick bit of cash.

I do get pissed when people knock my mics around on purpose (when they basically sitting on top of me) its not good.

Mics:
AT933/C

Batt-Boxes, Pre-amps:
CA-9100

Recorders:
Edirol R-09
iRiver H120 (CF Modded)
Sony MZ-RH910 Hi-MD

Video: Canon HV20 E

Offline cgrooves

• Taperssection Member
  • Get On the Bus -Busman Audio
« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2006, 12:32:23 PM »
Stealth taping isn't really 'fun' to me personally.  I have fun open taping though.  I don't tape the 'big' shows I go to since there are always multiple sources from big money rigs available the next morning online (I have patched a time or two at these types of shows).  I usually tape small local shows where there are 1-3 tapers present.  I don't have a big money rig and all my stuff fits in a waterproof gear bag (cooler).  This allows me to leave the rig and not really worry about someone spilling a beer on it or walking out with it.  Since I've stopped using DAT, I've even let the recorder run while I've left the venue momentarily.  It's nice not worrying about running out of tape or using it efficiently.
AUDIO:
Open:  Busman Audio BSC1-(K1/K2/K3/K4) > Fostex FR-2LE (Busman T Mod) 

Unopen:  AudioReality Omni Mics (Panasonic capsules)> AudioReality Battery Box (depending on SPL's) > iRiver H140 w/ Rockbox

VISUAL:
Canon 7D, Canon 50mm/1.8, Canon 85mm/1.8, Tamron 17-50mm/2.8, Tamron 70-200mm/2.8

Offline firmdragon

• Taperssection All-Star
    • taping blog
« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2006, 12:40:38 PM »
I went from being front row guy to guy stealthing in front of a stack to being front row guy with a cam.

I still get a buzz whenever I come out of a show with awesome footage. 

Offline Sanjay

• www.drivebytruckers.com/tourdiary.html
« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2006, 12:48:43 PM »

no just people who tape a hobby too seriously.
mics & cameras

Offline Liquid Drum

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2006, 01:05:59 PM »

no just people who tape a hobby too seriously.

Maybe, but they gotta calm down, lol.  :P
Mics:
AT933/C

Batt-Boxes, Pre-amps:
CA-9100

Recorders:
Edirol R-09
iRiver H120 (CF Modded)
Sony MZ-RH910 Hi-MD

Video: Canon HV20 E

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.204 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com