Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Do tapers have fun at shows  (Read 21936 times)

Offline guitard

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Do tapers have fun at shows
« Reply #60 on: August 03, 2006, 12:42:11 PM »
As far as having fun taping... there's more to it than just the few hours you spend doing the actual recording.

I would rather not have to worry about the rig and everything else that goes along with taping a show - and just dance, drink, and have a good time.  But I forego that because I really enjoy listening to the show later and sharing the music - there is more than enough fun in that to make the part that I don't enjoy that much worthwhile.
Mics: Schoeps MK41s & MK41Vs >:D
Pre-amps: BabyNbox & Platinum Nbox
Deck: Sony A10

Video: Canon HF G70 (4K), Sony FDR AX100 (4K), Pany ZS100 (4K)
Photo: Canon EOS 7D w/ Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L is III USM

A/V software: Sony Vegas Pro 18 (build 527) 64 bit / DVD Architect Pro 6.0 (build 237)

Offline svenkid

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Take Time to Listen!
« Reply #61 on: August 03, 2006, 02:10:59 PM »
As far as having fun taping... there's more to it than just the few hours you spend doing the actual recording.

I would rather not have to worry about the rig and everything else that goes along with taping a show - and just dance, drink, and have a good time.  But I forego that because I really enjoy listening to the show later and sharing the music - there is more than enough fun in that to make the part that I don't enjoy that much worthwhile.

definately! +T
Seriously, the band makes the music. Tapers just point mics in the right direction and hit "record".

That's good to hear!  The last patcher I had complained about my AKGs, fluffed schoeps for about 15 minutes, stayed patched in, and farted on me all night long.
rig: Neuman u89s > Lunatec V3 > MT(24)/JB3(16)
http://db.etree.org/svenkid

Um, in my room, one seam is a little off and I stare at it constantly. It's, like, destroying me.

Offline grider

• Trade Count: (6)
  • always give more than you take
« Reply #62 on: August 03, 2006, 02:57:18 PM »
absolutely, admittedly a different kind of fun, in that the excitement of being in the front row or being as loud as you want to be is replaced with the satisfaction of pulling tape during the show, I prefer to tape when I see live music

Offline rocksuitcase

• Trade Count: (4)
    • RockSuitcase: stage photography
« Reply #63 on: August 03, 2006, 03:11:01 PM »

Good perspective.  I see those points for sure.  Sometimes taping IS NOT fun, but for me,those times are few and hopefully farther between!
music IS love

When you get confused, listen to the music play!

Mics:         AKG460|CK61|CK1|CK3|CK8|Beyer M 201E|DPA 4060 SK
Recorders:Marantz PMD661 OADE Concert mod; Tascam DR680 MKI x2; Sony PCM-M10

Offline Digital Quality

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #64 on: August 03, 2006, 04:09:06 PM »
The only not-fun part for me is getting there super early for the big shows. That and getting pegged by the heavy duty glowsticks, the light ones don't bother me but some of them are like test tube hard and heavy,, ouch. Other than that it's a hoot, sometimes we even meet people of the opposite sex  :o By the end of summer season I'm ready to come out of the rain do some indoor taping and of course at the end of winter it's nice to be outside.

Edit: Now we have indoor smoking ban too so I'm looking forward to that.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2006, 04:11:15 PM by Riff Raff »
You are here: http://www.atlasoftheuniverse.com/
http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/astropix.html

rig:         mk41/21>kc5>cmc6>KindKables>v3>Axim x50v,WM6,live2496
playback: Marantz DV7600>Mackie 1202>Mackie HR824

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #65 on: August 03, 2006, 06:40:23 PM »
I stopped being the "front row guy" a few years ago. The TS was the next logical step for me. ;D

you were 'the front row guy' for moe morgantown on 2/27/2005 but shortly after, i recall you taping ;D wait a minute, you were 'the front row guy' at roseland moe as well ;D
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline aberg

• Team Canada
« Reply #66 on: August 03, 2006, 07:48:57 PM »
There are several tapers who I know who think of taping as a Race, they sit, have no fun, are really pissy at other people for coming within 10 feet of their stand, and at the end of the night have the tape converted before I pull into my driveway.  I've even seen one taper set up and go back to his car and go to sleep for the majority of the show, coming back later to get his stuff.

I think I pooed a little reading this... fucking funny shit!

I can think of a few people like this... reminds me of some tapers that spend their whole time at the show grabbing balloons and beach balls and deflating them, when they could just have a little fun and realize that a practically weightless balloon will not only not make any noticeable sound on the recording if it grazes the mics, but it will also do no damage. Big ass beachballs are another story, but still... some people should really just find a new hobby if they're going to take this one so seriously that they can't seem to enjoy themselves.

Offline Oysterhead00

• Taperssection Member
  • Rock This Bitch
    • My Ugly Page In Need Of A Huge Makeover
« Reply #67 on: August 03, 2006, 07:57:56 PM »
Pro's:
 - PERSONAL lasting memory of the show
 - Can revisit the show any time you want
 - Fun to play with your expensive toys
 - Some bands give you special attention and REALLY appreciate your taping and giving them copies
 - Same for venue, little clubs will give you all the free drinks you want for copies of great shows
 - MOST IMPORTANT:  Hot chicks seeing you tape and asking you for copies...you do the math  ;)

Con's:
 - Security hassles
 - Drunks (in my case, that includes me at lots of shows - ha ha ha)
 - Big venues, your friends want to run for a beer in the beer garden...leave your gear or stay by yourself??
 - MOSH PITS near your gear

Overall - I love taping.  If I go to shows with a special someone, I won't tape as I hope to make my own special memories for the night :)  When stealth taping, I used to stand like a rigid pole to get a good recording, have since relaxed and just hoped the recording turned out OK for my own personal enjoyment.  What I can say is I've gone to see some taper friendly/little bands that I NEVER would have gone to if it wasn't to tape them and have been introduced to some of my favorite bands that way.

If you're thinking of getting into the hobby, I'd recommend a cheap setup to see if you enjoy it...if not, why do it?  If you enjoy it then the investment is totally worth it and the Pro's will greatly outweigh the Con's.
Big Rig:  SMK-H8K/U or MSH-1O > PS-2 > AD-20 > CJB3
Sm Rig:  SS DSM-6S (or SP-CMC-12 > SPBM-2)  > MD-MT77
ISO: Cheap iRiver 120 or 140 :)

Offline itook2much

• Taperssection All-Star
  • AKA rspencer
    • my masters
« Reply #68 on: August 03, 2006, 08:27:14 PM »
When stealth taping, I used to stand like a rigid pole to get a good recording, have since relaxed and just hoped the recording turned out OK for my own personal enjoyment.

Ditto.  I have a few drinks, smoke, move a little, & you usually can't ever hear it.  If so, oh well, that's the nature of the game.  I have a stiff neck often, I've found i enjoy stealthing (my usual MO) a lot more when I can go home without my neck hurting for the next coupla days.
DPA 4060 (CS HEB) > CS BB > Edirol R-09

Backups:  DPA 4060 (1/8"), SP-BMC-2, SP-SPSB-6, Sony MZ-NH1

Quote from: tomluvsgiants
rule #1 - get the show taped
rule #2 - see rule #1    >:D

Quote from: Grace Hopper
“If it's a good idea, go ahead and do it. It's much easier to apologize than it is to get permission.”

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • ... A broken angel sings from a guitar
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #69 on: August 06, 2006, 02:14:14 AM »
  ...What I can say is I've gone to see some taper friendly/little bands that I NEVER would have gone to if it wasn't to tape them and have been introduced to some of my favorite bands that way. ...

This is very true for me as well.  I never knew what I was missing before I started taping.   SOOOO much good music out there these days!

Matt
I do think taping is the reality of the business..it is also an impetus for artists to create studio CDs that are ART, not just another recording...    Fareed Haque  2-4-2005

Canon 24-70 f2.8L, Canon 135 f2L, Canon 70-200 f4L, Canon 50 f1.8, > Canon 5D or Canon xt (digi) and Canon 1N (film)

Offline admkrk

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm an idiot
« Reply #70 on: August 07, 2006, 02:21:59 AM »
i was shut down taping tuna last month. had a misserable time because every time i went to ceck on my rig, it wasn't doing anything. as long as my gear isn't in any iminnent danger, i just let it be.

had a date friday, and that was even worse than not taping or being anal about gaurding gear. she wasn't into the tunes and just wanted to sit in one spot. usualy i'll only do that if i have to take my turn watching others gear, and quickly wander off as soon as someone returns.

[edit] the "work" comes in when you need to get a tape to the band asap(sorry, i can't do instant live). it's worth it though when the praise comes from them.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2006, 02:26:27 AM by admkrk »
"the faster you go ahead, the behinder you get"

"If you can drink ram's piss, fuck, you can drink anything"

Offline guitard

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #71 on: August 07, 2006, 09:21:44 AM »
I taped UFO ('70s British rock band) last night (I'll post about some other things that came up while recording in a different thread if anyone cares to read a bit about the show).

This probably sounds kind of stupid ~~ but it worked for me!

OK ~ how to add a little enjoyment to the recording experience... lip synch the music.  Yes - I said LIP SYNCH.  Sing your lungs out.  Flap your gums.  Belt 'em out like the drunks in the front row.  Just be careful you don't get so carried away that you start dancing and jumping around and you're all set.

I was diggin' the jams so much (haven't seen them in 25 years) and knew I probably had a good sounding tape rolling that I just couldn't mess up by singing out loud.  So I just started lip synching... and by God, it was almost like the real thing.  Kind of like sex with a rubber on... not nearly as good as the real thing - but a helluva lot better than nothing!

Next time you tape - give it a try - you've got nothing to lose.
Mics: Schoeps MK41s & MK41Vs >:D
Pre-amps: BabyNbox & Platinum Nbox
Deck: Sony A10

Video: Canon HF G70 (4K), Sony FDR AX100 (4K), Pany ZS100 (4K)
Photo: Canon EOS 7D w/ Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L is III USM

A/V software: Sony Vegas Pro 18 (build 527) 64 bit / DVD Architect Pro 6.0 (build 237)

Offline Javit

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Lágrimas de Sangre - Guayasamín
« Reply #72 on: August 07, 2006, 10:02:01 AM »
I think the best thing (and not just with taping) but collecting music is introducing it to people that would have otherwise never known about it. I just turned my dad onto an Elvis show he was at back in the 70's and the look on his face when he was getting to listen to it was priceless; so happy. i have tons of fun at shows if I'm stealthing (getting the gear in is half the fun) or if I'm open taping in a huge forest or the only taper.  So if I'm taping somewhere and someone wants to bother me for a copy of the show I'll give them my contacts and stuff because I want people to be able to hear the same stuff we do on a regular basis. [/hippie]

Nobility is expensive, nonproductive and parasitic, siphoning away too much of society's energy to satisfy its frivolous cravings.

Offline tapeheadtoo

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
    • My Dime stuff
« Reply #73 on: August 07, 2006, 11:20:05 AM »
This probably sounds kind of stupid ~~ but it worked for me!

OK ~ how to add a little enjoyment to the recording experience... lip synch the music.  Yes - I said LIP SYNCH.  Sing your lungs out.  Flap your gums.  Belt 'em out like the drunks in the front row.  Just be careful you don't get so carried away that you start dancing and jumping around and you're all set.

I do the same exact thing!!  Makes it more fun.  Plus if I'm taping from the front row, or I'm near the front, it just looks more natural to the performers on stage... like I'm singing along with everyone else.
Mics: Schoeps MK4, DPA 4061, AT953, Shure MV88
Preamps/BB: Nbox, tinybox, ST-9100, CA-UGLY, SP-SPSB-10
Recorders: In use--Teenage Engineering TX6, Tascam DR-2d, Sony PCM-A10, Zoom L-20R; collecting dust--Sony M10, Ediirol R-09, Zoom H4n, Zoom H6, Cymatic LR16
Video: In use--Panasonic VX981, Panasonic ZS100, GoPro Hero 10/11; collecting dust--Sony HDR-CX520V, Sony HX9V, Panasonic ZS3/ZS7

Offline tapernateva

• LOOKING DOWN FROM OUTER SPACE
  • Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Tapernate...doesn't advertise
    • db.etree.org/tapernate
« Reply #74 on: August 07, 2006, 12:08:53 PM »
if you have seen any of my posted picts they speak for themselves....
fuck yeah i have fun at shows
unless its like a giant show with like 1000000000 people then i get lost in the crowd and forget where my gear is plus i never get to piss if i'm stealthing but oh well
Everybody's got a little karma to pay!

Neumann ak40 > lc3 > km100>sd442>sd744t
Neumann ak50 > lc3 > km100>sd442>sd744t
4 channels of Neumann bliss

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.211 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com