Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Do tapers have fun at shows  (Read 22304 times)

Offline pmonk66

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Do tapers have fun at shows
« Reply #90 on: September 27, 2006, 07:09:05 PM »
My only problem is I can't go more than 10 inutes without taking a peek at my recorder to make sure the levels are fine, the thing is still on, etc...!

Offline firmdragon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • taping blog
« Reply #91 on: September 27, 2006, 07:24:13 PM »
ya just got to set it and forget it.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #92 on: September 27, 2006, 07:47:28 PM »
My only problem is I can't go more than 10 inutes without taking a peek at my recorder to make sure the levels are fine, the thing is still on, etc...!

..must...have....self-

dicipline
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline SparkE!

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #93 on: September 27, 2006, 10:00:35 PM »

..must...have....self-

dicipline
...especially to stealth Fripp.  Excellent reference. Excellent album. +t
How'm I supposed to read your lips when you're talkin' out your ass? - Lern Tilton

Ignorance in audio is exceeded only by our collective willingness to embrace and foster it. -  Srajan Ebaen

Offline dreyfuss

• Taperssection Regular
  • Team Canada
« Reply #94 on: October 07, 2006, 11:46:15 PM »
This was a great thread that I had missed when it was posted,

As everyone has pretty much stated, the real payoff is after the show when you listen to it, share it, give it to the band, etc

Countryman ISOMAX 2 -> Tascam DR100

Offline ThePhog

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #95 on: October 08, 2006, 03:38:49 PM »
Any other married people here?? Ever taped a show just for your spouse? That is the only time I will not have as much fun as normal...my wife loves Kid Rock, I think he is a tool. But doing one show for her makes it possible for me to travel all over the midwest to tape the bands I like. Small trade-off I guess.
"Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of the Phog!"

Offline Humbug

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Humbug Hum Rejection Unit
    • Trading site
« Reply #96 on: October 08, 2006, 06:17:39 PM »
Any other married people here?? Ever taped a show just for your spouse? That is the only time I will not have as much fun as normal...my wife loves Kid Rock, I think he is a tool. But doing one show for her makes it possible for me to travel all over the midwest to tape the bands I like. Small trade-off I guess.

You might make "kidrocklive" happy as well!

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=55104.0
UK based taper: MK4>Nbox Platinum>PCM-M10
AT853C>CA9200 / PIPsqueak>Tascam DR-2D

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Humbug66

Offline ThePhog

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #97 on: October 10, 2006, 05:07:36 AM »
He played the same show in 2006 that he did in 2004...I've had to endure 3 shows in 2 years and that is too much. I think he played a few more hits this year but it was the same gimmick. I feel dirty even talking about it. That kidrocklive guy is a trip...I give him major credit for his enthusiasm.
"Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of the Phog!"

Offline beathydrolysis

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #98 on: October 11, 2006, 02:44:44 PM »

I know what you're saying.  I tape the ocassional gig for my girlfriend so she won't be upset when I want to go to a show that she has absolutely no interest in.  Then I gotta watch my rig like a hawk.  I was tapin Nickel Creek for her at Bonnaroo this and my rig went down during the second track.  I lost the first two tracks with that little disaster (thanks to all the dust at the Roo I think...boy was she dissappointed.  The only minutes I lost during the entire festival and it was during the show she wanted to see most. 
Take care of the tapers and the tapers will take care of you.

Offline wbrisette

• Trade Count: (2)
    • Homepage
« Reply #99 on: October 11, 2006, 05:21:41 PM »
Any other married people here?? Ever taped a show just for your spouse?

Nope. ;-)

Actually the only stuff she has any real interest in are things I've turned her onto. I have however, recorded a show for my daughter. But then those were shows that were fun too. Farmer Jason (aka Jason Ringenburg - Jason & The Scorchers), Joe McDermott. All fun stuff.

Wayne
Mics: Earthworks SR-77 (MP), QTC-1 (MP)

Editing: QSC RMX2450, MOTU 2408 MK3, Earthworks Sigma 6.2

RebelRebel

« Reply #100 on: October 11, 2006, 05:27:47 PM »
well, recording pays the bills now, so in a offhand way..each show I record is for her and my daughter.  :) They both go with me to the gigs when possible and love music..

Offline rocksuitcase

• Trade Count: (4)
    • RockSuitcase: stage photography
« Reply #101 on: October 11, 2006, 09:25:25 PM »

Ok, I've got you all beat.  My first wife ( yep, I'm with the 2nd one now) was also an engineering student while we were in college and while I was starting to be a Grateful dead Taper ( 1982 ish).  In 1984 she announced she wanted to buy her own TC D5M ( Portable cassette recorder- almost professional grade).  So we drove down to NYC and went to Uncle Steves and paid $499 for her brand spanking new D5.  This deck was at at least 200 Dead shows and recorded many many other shows before it got retired.  Yes, my taper friends, she "gave" it to me in the divorce settlement.  At many GD shows we were at we used her deck to patch from another source or  maybe be a back up on a second set of mics.
music IS love

When you get confused, listen to the music play!

Mics:         AKG460|CK61|CK1|CK3|CK8|Beyer M 201E|DPA 4060 SK
Recorders:Marantz PMD661 OADE Concert mod; Tascam DR680 MKI x2; Sony PCM-M10

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #102 on: October 12, 2006, 09:18:01 AM »

Ok, I've got you all beat.  My first wife ( yep, I'm with the 2nd one now) was also an engineering student while we were in college and while I was starting to be a Grateful dead Taper ( 1982 ish).  In 1984 she announced she wanted to buy her own TC D5M ( Portable cassette recorder- almost professional grade).  So we drove down to NYC and went to Uncle Steves and paid $499 for her brand spanking new D5.  This deck was at at least 200 Dead shows and recorded many many other shows before it got retired.  Yes, my taper friends, she "gave" it to me in the divorce settlement.  At many GD shows we were at we used her deck to patch from another source or  maybe be a back up on a second set of mics.

Nice! Did the second wife go digital?
It's like a taper dowery.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline rocksuitcase

• Trade Count: (4)
    • RockSuitcase: stage photography
« Reply #103 on: October 12, 2006, 03:03:42 PM »

Nice! Did the second wife go digital?
It's like a taper dowery.

Hehe, exceot she didn't have to catch her self on fire a few years after the wedding!!!!!!   (joke)
funny question: the second wife wants nothing to do with taping, she enjoys the music and lets me do my "taper thing".
music IS love

When you get confused, listen to the music play!

Mics:         AKG460|CK61|CK1|CK3|CK8|Beyer M 201E|DPA 4060 SK
Recorders:Marantz PMD661 OADE Concert mod; Tascam DR680 MKI x2; Sony PCM-M10

Offline F0CKER

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #104 on: October 14, 2006, 10:28:46 AM »
NOBODY! has more fun than we do!

Taping adds to the enjoyment from my experience.  And you'll meet a whole new group of friends who share the same dorky hobby.  Subculture within a subculture.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2006, 10:30:27 AM by F0CKER »
Nevaton MC49 -> Sonosax SX-R4

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.074 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com