Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: New Taper  (Read 43062 times)

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
Re: New Taper
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2006, 02:17:44 PM »

DMBprez - I can't reiterate enough the value of listening to lots of recordings made using the mics/equipment you're considering getting.  Soak up all the info about the recording (like the location from which it was recorded, stealth or permission, etc.).

The recent Oysterhead sources from Bonnaroo are perfect for this.  There were (I think) 5 different rigs set up by the SBD:

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=66945.0

Terry

***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline DMBprez

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Focused
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2006, 12:39:21 PM »
Okay folks, I'm torn here.  First off, thank you all for you input.  I have learned a lot in here and I appreciate everything you all have to offer.

Here's my dilema, I'm torn between two sets of mics.

The SPCMC-2a's and the SMK-H8k's.  Any suggestions or input would be greatly appreciated :)

Offline grider

• Trade Count: (6)
  • always give more than you take
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2006, 12:48:37 PM »
Thank you very much for your help Shane.  :) 

strongly suggest you spend a bit more and get the better sounding and much smaller AKG 390 series mic, pair it with an Edirol UA5 and a JB3 and you are all set to make excellent tapes for a very affordable price

Offline grider

« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2006, 12:54:14 PM »
Okay folks, I'm torn here.  First off, thank you all for you input.  I have learned a lot in here and I appreciate everything you all have to offer.

Here's my dilema, I'm torn between two sets of mics.

The SPCMC-2a's and the SMK-H8k's.  Any suggestions or input would be greatly appreciated :)

another piece of advice here, splurge on your mics and get everything else used and as cheaply as possible; if you have lousy sounding mics, you will never make great recordings despite what you run behind them; when I bought my first rig, I did the exact opposite of this, bought inexpensive mics, a new and expensive preamp/analog to digital converter, and the top of the line new dat machine; needless to say, I replaced my mics within six months

Offline DMBprez

• Taperssection Member
  • Focused
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2006, 05:05:51 PM »
Can someone provide me a link to the AKG 390's?  Any input or suggestions on these?

Offline anodyne33

• You'll have that
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • All my life there's been the magnets.
    • Lucky
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2006, 06:30:36 PM »
I got a GREAT tape of the Iguanas Firday with my 391s. Here's a little info on them...
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/C391B/

It doesn't look like there have been any for sale here in a few months, but when I got mine they were everywhere. Expect to pay anywhere between $300 and $450 for a pair. The body of the mic is the SE300B and the capsules (or business end) are the CK91 (cardoid), CK92 (Omnidirectional) and CK93 (Hyperdardoid). I have the 91 and 93 caps and they work a little differently in different situations. Basically the 93 has a narrower pickup pattern, which is helpful if you are farther away from the source or in a particularly noisy crowd. I like the 91s as an all purpose cap.

Here's a pair on ebay for $600 BIN. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7361214046&category=41466 That's a litlte more than you would expect to pay here if they some up, but still about half of what you'd pay for a pair new.
Pockets full of nickels and nothing left to eat, and I'm stuck behind a semi on Soniat Street.

Offline tscales

• Taperssection Regular
    • .:www.timscales.net:.
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2006, 08:38:01 PM »
I agree with everbody, and I took their advice only a few months ago.  Grider especially.

http://www.archive.org/details/duo2006-04-13.flac16

Do as much listening as you can before you buy. (but i totally understand if you cant wait, niether coukd I)

tim
Life's a garden.  Dig it.

AKG 393s > UA-5 (w-mod +) > D8 / Fujitsu T70G

Live Recordings..  http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/tscales

Offline DMBprez

• Taperssection Member
  • Focused
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2006, 12:04:13 AM »
I'm going to be completely honest, those mics are way out of my price range unfortunately.  Perhaps in a few years.  I'm only 17 at this point and don't have that much to toss around. 

Any more suggestions?

Offline svenkid

• Take Time to Listen!
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2006, 12:11:13 AM »
SP c4s then.
Seriously, the band makes the music. Tapers just point mics in the right direction and hit "record".

That's good to hear!  The last patcher I had complained about my AKGs, fluffed schoeps for about 15 minutes, stayed patched in, and farted on me all night long.
rig: Neuman u89s > Lunatec V3 > MT(24)/JB3(16)
http://db.etree.org/svenkid

Um, in my room, one seam is a little off and I stare at it constantly. It's, like, destroying me.

tapinfool

« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2006, 12:25:38 AM »
I'm going to be completely honest, those mics are way out of my price range unfortunately.  Perhaps in a few years.  I'm only 17 at this point and don't have that much to toss around. 

Any more suggestions?

for an inexpensive set of mics look into the oktava mk-012's...

i run them into a ua-5>jukebox 3 and love the results

i picked mine up for $100 for the pair and love every second of the 200+ shows i've taped in the last 3 years

yes...there are considerably better mics. but for the price...there is no going wrong :)

plus next year after graduation you can always pick up a set of akg's w/ all the graduation party money  ;)

Offline DMBprez

• Taperssection Member
  • Focused
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2006, 07:29:15 AM »
^^^Exactly what I was thinking  ;D

Offline anodyne33

• You'll have that
  • All my life there's been the magnets.
    • Lucky
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2006, 10:48:35 AM »
tapinfool has made some absolutely smoking tapes with his oktavas and i have proof! ;D
Pockets full of nickels and nothing left to eat, and I'm stuck behind a semi on Soniat Street.

Offline Will_S

• Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2006, 11:18:12 AM »
Some good advice so far.  The only thing I would add is that you need to consider whether you will be stealthing at all, either non-taper friendly bands or taper-friendly bands at non-friendly venues.

If you think you may need to stealth, I'd look at Audio Technica AT853s or the Sound Professionals SP-CMC-4 version of the same mics.  These are a good choice to get started IMO, since they offer quite decent quality and have interchangeable capsules available (cardioids, hypercardiods, omnis) so you can really experiment with different setups for different situations.  Plus, even if you buy some really nice open-taping mics down the road, you can hold onto these for stealthing.  Whereas if you go with the cheap open-taping mics you may not have much use for them once the upgrade bug bites.

Offline grider

« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2006, 12:35:20 PM »
why don't you buy the Audio Technica 825's for sale right now in the yardsale for $245, well known quality mics, can be used for open taping or for stealth taping, and they are easily resold, and very small, I'd say get those over Oktavas for sure

Offline tscales

• Taperssection Regular
    • .:www.timscales.net:.
« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2006, 01:42:54 PM »
I got total sticker shock in the begining too when I was considering buy mics new (which for a starter, isn't really neccessary since everyone around her take such good care of their gear)    I was considering buyin two new mics from sonicsence.com for like 550 EACH!!!

I think I only paid 400 for a PAIR of AKG393s, shock mounts, and a real nice manafrotto stand from Jay Morris a while back.  I made payments every month for 150 or so till i was paid off then he shipped the stuff to me - it was very doable financially and very friendly transaction.

My two bits...  buy used from a TS'er, and buy good, not great gear, so your not upgrading a 6 weeks.  Payment plans are the way to go for tight budget folks like me.

tim
Life's a garden.  Dig it.

AKG 393s > UA-5 (w-mod +) > D8 / Fujitsu T70G

Live Recordings..  http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/tscales

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.218 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com