Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Bags for 722...  (Read 20012 times)

Offline db

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • i do not have a personal statement
Re: Bags for 722...
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2007, 03:01:03 PM »
portabrace.

ding.  it's made for it, adds extra almost unnecessary protection for device and wires... extra bag holds accesories. done.
db

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2007, 09:44:28 AM »
portabrace.

ding.  it's made for it, adds extra almost unnecessary protection for device and wires... extra bag holds accesories. done.

agreed! I have the AR-7(7xx bag)+RM Deluxe and its more than enough room for my MBHO Active setup. I just took the 722 out of the AR-7 for the first time since I got the 722 just last friday night and cleaned it VERY well(I already had the AR-7 when my 722 arrived so it went right into that bag. it was the first thing I did when I got my 722, after I broke the stock battery that came with it that is :P ) and it wasnt even that dusty/dirty at all after sitting in there for 1.5 years. I wouldnt even think of owning a 7xx without that bag. And when I want to run 48x>722, I simply un-vlecro the AR-7 from the RM Deluxe and throw it in my 480 bag setup and im DONE!

Why invest around 2k and not spend the extra $150 or so for a bag that has already been proven in the field as the best? I did and also convinced tonedeaf to do the same. lets just say that I *think* he is glad he did ;)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline waltmon

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2007, 03:26:40 PM »
I dig the Pelican bag, although I need to carry a small pack for accessories ( ie: those friggin U89 shock mounts)

Walt
KM140's, KM150's, U89's, Mixpre-10T II, 788T, F3

CA-14 > UBB > Tascam DR-2D

1 pound non-sequential $50.00 bills

Offline Tim

« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2007, 05:57:52 PM »
I dig the Pelican bag, although I need to carry a small pack for accessories ( ie: those friggin U89 shock mounts)

Walt

walt, the u89s are internally shockmounted. You can order the ring mounts from neumann and greatly cut down on the bulk! This was what Damon did, I didn't figure that out on my own :P
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline F.O.Bean

• Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2007, 09:43:41 PM »
Why / why not?
Because my $15 fishing tackle bag has held up wonderfully for 3 years now. And, I see another 3 years out of it before it dies.

whatever works for EACH person bud ;) The PB bag works fore me and I'll never own a 7xx without it!

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2007, 11:13:48 PM »
Why / why not?
Because my $15 fishing tackle bag has held up wonderfully for 3 years now. And, I see another 3 years out of it before it dies.

whatever works for EACH person bud ;) The PB bag works fore me and I'll never own a 7xx without it!

I agree with everyone that if they like what they have, then that's cool. 

But Bean's right on...the PB is really spot on perfect for the 702/722/744.  Besides having a nice design and of course the cool see-thru windows so you're protected at the same time as you're recording...which is valuable in itself because of the possibility of having drinks spilled into your bag during a club gig...but to me the best feature of all (and the one that Bean used to convince me to buy one) is that the PB bag fastens the unit in so that the bag carries the load on the two side bars, which is where the 7XX is designed to be carried from.  In other words, velcro straps wraps around the carrying bars to support the load.  For any other bag that I know of, the unit is resting in the bottom of the bag which means that the weight of the unit is resting on the battery.  To me, what that means is that if the bag gets kicked while it's sitting on the floor, or if the bag falls off a chair onto the floor, anything that would cause a major bumpage, then the most likely place the shock is going is straight to the battery...and therefore straight to the battery pins.  Not sure if anyone's ever broken the battery pins off, but if that happens then the unit is 100% useless for field use until it gets fixed.  This alone is worth having the PB bag, IMHO.  Yeah, the PB bag can't totally protect this from happening, but by supporting the unit from the carrying lugs instead of the the backside, I think the PB greatly reduces the chance that this could happen.

Just my opinion and THE number one reason I sprung for the PB bag.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2007, 11:18:37 PM by tonedeaf »

Offline boojum

« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2007, 12:14:39 AM »
Why / why not?

Ditto for my $20 Irwin tool bag.  My is still pretty new: heavy dark blue canvas, heavy clips for the shoulder straps, LARGE zipper handles, two on each track, and tough as hell.  It is built to carry tools around between and on jobsites.  It's gotta be tough.  And it does not scream "Steal Me" like the "pro" bags do.  But, as usual, YMMV.  8)

Cheers
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline F.O.Bean

• Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2007, 12:20:41 AM »
Why / why not?

Ditto for my $20 Irwin tool bag.  My is still pretty new: heavy dark blue canvas, heavy clips for the shoulder straps, LARGE zipper handles, two on each track, and tough as hell.  It is built to carry tools around between and on jobsites.  It's gotta be tough.  And it does not scream "Steal Me" like the "pro" bags do.  But, as usual, YMMV.  8)

Cheers

People still steal tools too tho ;)

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2007, 10:21:05 AM »
but to me the best feature of all (and the one that Bean used to convince me to buy one) is that the PB bag fastens the unit in so that the bag carries the load on the two side bars, which is where the 7XX is designed to be carried from.  In other words, velcro straps wraps around the carrying bars to support the load.

Cost me a couple bucks to suspend my 722 with a target rack. The 722 hangs and the v3 is zip tied down.  Any clear plastic will work as a splash guard.  In a pinch you could even use plastic wrap.

Not sure if anyone's ever broken the battery pins off, but if that happens then the unit is 100% useless for field use until it gets fixed.

Then Bean is doing the impossible because I believe he runs his 7xx on NiMH batteries via the side connector.  It would only take a couple minutes to splice the standard cable for use with an alternate source.

Offline boojum

« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2007, 11:56:19 AM »
Why / why not?

For any other bag that I know of, the unit is resting in the bottom of the bag which means that the weight of the unit is resting on the battery.  To me, what that means is that if the bag gets kicked while it's sitting on the floor, or if the bag falls off a chair onto the floor, anything that would cause a major bumpage, then the most likely place the shock is going is straight to the battery...and therefore straight to the battery pins.  Not sure if anyone's ever broken the battery pins off, but if that happens then the unit is 100% useless for field use until it gets fixed.  This alone is worth having the PB bag, IMHO.  Yeah, the PB bag can't totally protect this from happening, but by supporting the unit from the carrying lugs instead of the the backside, I think the PB greatly reduces the chance that this could happen.

Just my opinion and THE number one reason I sprung for the PB bag.

The battery surface is flush against the back of the unit and held firmly in place by the locking pin.  The pins themselves are pretty heavy-duty.  I think Tatooles and the other folks at SD thought that one out pretty thoroughly.  I see the battery ripping before those pins bend or break.  To me this is pretty much a non-issue.  And, I always take the unit out.  I find it easier to work with when not stuffed in a bag.  If I were taping a bar band in crowded quarters I would leave it on the bag and put the bag on the ground against the bar, out of everyone's way and sit my barstool in front of it.

At the end-up this is a matter of personal preference.  It is like arguing Ford-Chevy-Dodge in trucks.

Cheers
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline ianstone

• Trade Count: (2)
  • schoeps>something>something else
    • My Recordings on ARCHIVE
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2007, 08:36:06 PM »
I'd be willing to bet that the $150 that I saved on a gear bag has brought me at least, at a bare minimum, probably $1500 in investment returns.
The foam support that I cut out holds my 722 without stressing anyting more than the top and bottom aluminum plates.

so,... give me a year of two more, and my $150 saved might buy me another recorder?
I'll surely enjoy it more later in retirement savings.

150>>>>>1500?

Damn moke - would you like to help me manage some money? I've got about 10k i'd like to turn into 100k
 ;D
Microphones:
CCM4v (pair)
mk6 (pair) and mk41 (pair) with kc5's & cmc6's
mk21 (1) for those M/S situations

Preamps:
Sonosax SX-M2

Recorders:
Sound Devices 722
Edirol R-01

My Recordings on archive http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=%22ian%20stone%22

Offline ianstone

• Trade Count: (2)
  • schoeps>something>something else
    • My Recordings on ARCHIVE
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2007, 08:37:49 PM »
back on topic, i really dig the mountainsmith line of bags

i got the cairnII on the campmor deal - like $30, has a great 'stash' spot
fits 722+v2+mics+cables nicely, w/ extra room for my earplugs, etc etc etc

it also has a rain fly on the bottom will pulls out and covers the bag during a storm and keeps everything water proof

Microphones:
CCM4v (pair)
mk6 (pair) and mk41 (pair) with kc5's & cmc6's
mk21 (1) for those M/S situations

Preamps:
Sonosax SX-M2

Recorders:
Sound Devices 722
Edirol R-01

My Recordings on archive http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=%22ian%20stone%22

Offline Tim

« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2007, 08:53:28 PM »
I love the Cairn's too... great rugged bag. Lots of room and the stash pocket is great, as is the pocket on the rear side - keep it pressed against your chest during the bag search and you can fit a good sized bottle in there ;D
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2007, 10:12:32 PM »
does the $150 bag suspend the deck when its on the ground, or, just when carrying it?

I'm thinking,.. just while carrying it; Unless they've provided some sort of interior fold out a-frame, or, an exterior a-frame to keep the deck suspended.

I know that when mine is set down, its as equally well supported as when its being carried.

The PB bag keeps the 722 suspended all the time, not just when it's being carried by the straps.  So, even when the bag is sitting on the ground, the weight of the unit is not resting on the battery, but it's resting on the 7xx frame by virtue of the a) two back straps that are sewn into the bag about half way deep...the unit rests on these back straps, and b) velcro straps that fasten around the sundial-shaped posts on the front of the 7xx.  The velcro straps are integrated with the bag so that the bag holds the posts tight and basically keeps the 7xx firmly positioned inside the bag.  Finally, the bag is built with sort of semi-hard shell sides so that there is some structural support of the whole bag to maintain it's shape, form and structure under the weight of the unit.  The firm sides keep the bag from breaking down under the weight of the unit, while those back straps are carrying the load.  The firm sides also resist exterior shocks.

However, the real bottom line of bag storage for your 7xx investment is that there are obivoulsy multiple solutions to the issue.  They all work fine for each individuals level of comfort for storing their 7XX. 

Therefore, what I am able to offer to the original poster of this thread is that if they were to decide to buy the Portabrace bag this is specially designed for this unit, I don't believe that they would not be disappointed with the product...even at $150 or so.  Whether storage justifies the cost or not when there are many lower cost options is based on subjective factors that have been discussed in this thread, but to me the Portabrace bag is worth the cost to provide the protection I want for my $1700 piece of gear.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2007, 10:16:19 PM by tonedeaf »

Offline CQBert

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Sunset in Zilker Park
« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2007, 02:38:10 AM »
Don't knock those giant u89 shock mounts....  I sent Waltmon the ring mount when he picked up the package... 

No he can go Lo Profile with the u89's...

I have a 702 and currently have it in a Portabrace -would not trade it for the world... my bag is packed and ready to go and everything is easy to see and convenient.  I have run a 722 in a camera bag and from a large Pelican 1520 and both worked as I had LD Mics at the time.  If you are running LD's then look for a real sturdy bag as you have way to much for the Portabrace AR-7.... If SD's consider it seriously, it is not cheap but extremely well built.

CQBert
Sennheiser MKH 8040 (Matched) > Sound Devices 702

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.081 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com