Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: $1500 for complete rig. What would u buy?  (Read 10324 times)

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: $1500 for complete rig. What would u buy?
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2008, 12:09:47 PM »
Used AKG 48x > modFR2-LE

or also

AKG 48x > ACM671

Offline run_run_run

• Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2008, 12:16:44 PM »
I think allot of this comes down to you sitting down, listening to some tapes and figuring out what you like.  You have allot of good options at 1.5k

Offline popskull

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Analog....the ultimate sampling frequency
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2008, 09:31:08 PM »
KM 184s (pair used ~ 1200) > MiniMe (used ~ 450) > MT (bit bucket) (used ~ 200)

Its a little more than 1500, but that's my rec.

x2

Go modular and upgrade when the mood (and wallet) allow

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2008, 11:11:53 PM »
Lots of votes for the beyer MC930 here, so I suppose I'll add mine.

Personally, I'd grab them over ANY of the other mics mentioned in that general price range (460/480, KM184, Peluso)

Is the FR2-LE a good mate for the beyers?

I think it is.  I use a self-modded FR2-LE with my Beyers, and just about anything else.

I would start with the stock box and then go from there.  Having an all-in-one is really nice.

By the way, remember to buy the FR2-LE at a discount.  It should be something like $400-$450.  Maybe not in the stores, but from a (recommended) Ebay seller maybe.

Richard
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

Offline setboy

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2008, 11:25:48 PM »

Offline china_rider

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • The center of the universe is not on this earth...
    • AZTapers
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2008, 01:54:54 AM »
Used AKG 48x > modFR2-LE

;D

I think Jake is using stock 46x -> FR2LE and his shows come out great.  I always download his and comp them to mine. :-}  RC batteries on the FR2 also give you great run time.
(#1) AKG C480b CK61,CK62,CK63,CK69 -> Silverpath XLRs -> BMod R-4
(#2) BMod ADK A51TL -> Silverpath XLRs -> BMod R-4
(#3) Sonic Studios DSM6SM -> Sonic Studios PA-3SX -> R-09

Offline Will_S

• Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2008, 11:45:13 AM »
The FR2LE has awesome all-in-one ergonomics and internal battery life.  I also think it sounds just fine stock, and would suggest putting the ~$200 you save (don't forget shipping etc for the mods) into better mics, and don't forget to budget for a stand, clamp, cables, and gear bag.

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2008, 12:03:42 PM »
i say go with a fr-2le too
the busman mics seem to be great for the price too
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline Krispy D

• my recordings on LMA
Peluso CEMC6, ck4/ck21
Oktava MC012
Sony ECM260f
AT 811

canare star quads
DIY mil spec silvers

DIY (W-ish) mod UA5>JB3
Oade ACM PMD 660
R4

You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong. You cannot help the wage-earner by pulling down the wage-payer. You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich. You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves.
~Rev. William J. H. Boetcker (not Lincoln)

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2008, 01:45:48 PM »
It took 10 posts of recommendations to blow the $1,500 budget by ~$1k.  I'm disappointed in TS...it usually only takes 5 posts.  :lol:

I've been thinking about scaling back, and the Beyer 930s and FR2LE are in my sights, too.   :hmmm:
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline rowjimmytour

• Trade Count: (3)
    • My LMA bookmarks
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2008, 01:47:25 PM »
I'm looking for something that resembles schoeps>v3 or 483>v3 (or something a touch warmer).  Ideas welcomed.  
I would go for the 930's ;D but he did say he wanted some thing warmer then shoeps and the akg's which they aren't IMO at all. Check my sig for samples and stringthesauce has some great samples that helped me make my decision to buy 930's.
http://www.archive.org/bookmarNo
And the trees are all kept equal
By hatchet, axe and saw

Offline illconditioned

« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2008, 01:57:56 PM »
I'm looking for something that resembles schoeps>v3 or 483>v3 (or something a touch warmer).  Ideas welcomed.  
I would go for the 930's ;D but he did say he wanted some thing warmer then shoeps and the akg's which they aren't IMO at all. Check my sig for samples and stringthesauce has some great samples that helped me make my decision to buy 930's.

Listen to some MC930 samples on my webpage, http://Soundmann.com if you're not convinced yet.

Also, Aberg has a pair for sale right now.  Get them before he moves them off the board  >:D.

Richard
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2008, 02:01:51 PM »
keith also has some akg481/3 for sale
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline nic

• Big In Japan
    • half dead batteries
« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2008, 02:39:32 PM »
I think allot of this comes down to you sitting down, listening to some tapes and figuring out what you like.

I understand that this is a common statement for such requests, there are some issues with this:
> finding a single show (ideally of a music style that you will be recording the most) that has multiple recordings but only 1 piece of equipment changes from the other sources is next to impossible to find.
> if you can find the above, are all of the sources in the same config (x/y, ortf, din, etc) AND in the same location (vertical/horizontal plane)?

other than knowing various people that have all of the various pieces of equipment that you are looking at and can set up a true a/b test in a controlled environment, there is still WAY TOO much guesswork involved and it is a VERY subjective experiment.

the water's clean and innocent

Offline illconditioned

« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2008, 03:07:04 PM »
I think allot of this comes down to you sitting down, listening to some tapes and figuring out what you like.

I understand that this is a common statement for such requests, there are some issues with this:
> finding a single show (ideally of a music style that you will be recording the most) that has multiple recordings but only 1 piece of equipment changes from the other sources is next to impossible to find.
> if you can find the above, are all of the sources in the same config (x/y, ortf, din, etc) AND in the same location (vertical/horizontal plane)?

other than knowing various people that have all of the various pieces of equipment that you are looking at and can set up a true a/b test in a controlled environment, there is still WAY TOO much guesswork involved and it is a VERY subjective experiment.

I agree it is hard to judge this, especially when comparing different shows/venues/placement.  But it is still worthwhile to listen to different recordings.  Sometimes you'll hear a show that really stands out.  Then you know that particular mic is *capable* of getting a great recording, if used correctly.  Basically, you're looking for the case when the limiting factor is the mic, and then you can see how good a particular mic can sound.

I don't have controlled tests, but I do have lots of samples from the same venues at my website, http://Soundmann.com.  Take a listen there if you wish...

Richard
« Last Edit: October 29, 2008, 03:08:44 PM by illconditioned »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.109 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com