Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Difficulty viewing 1080 HD video  (Read 4665 times)

Offline BobbyHurley

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • got a blank space where my mind should be
Difficulty viewing 1080 HD video
« on: January 04, 2010, 02:17:58 PM »
Friends,

My gf bought me a little Samsung HD videocam, and I tried it out the other night for a New Year's Eve show. Recorded an hour set at 1080 onto an 8gb sdhc card. I plugged the cam into my PC, a Sony Vaio desktop that I purchased new in Fall 2001. Running Win XP.

When you plug the camera in (USB 2.0), it automatically uploads a video editing software program Intelli-something or another. I exported the video to the PC. Looks like the camera automatically divided the 60 mins into roughly three (3) chapters of 18 mins, so I have three videos.

When I play it back, the video is all choppy whereas when I hooked it up to the TV, it plasys back fine.

Question: what components on my PC do I need to upgrade? Video card? Its running a Nividea GeForce 2 Maxx 400. Also, my RAM may be capped at 512 mb, which is what I currently have in there.

Time for a new PC? Or can I make this work with a few new parts?
AKG C 480 B (CK61 and CK63) > Oade m248 > GAK cable > Sony M-10

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Difficulty viewing 1080 HD video
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2010, 02:49:39 PM »
before replacing the computer try this video player out:
http://mirillis.com/splash.html

what format does it record the HD video in?
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline BobbyHurley

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2010, 05:24:16 PM »
I believe it records in mpeg-4. I'll try that player when I get home.

I tried playing it on VLC media player, which usually works on most everything I throw at it.

I know the cam specs call for 2gb of RAM, and I've only got room for 512mb.  fml.

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2010, 05:38:32 PM »
Long time no see around here Wade.

From the specs you listed below i'd say that 'yes' it is time for a new PC.  I'd assume you're probably running an older P4 processor and 512mb RAM was probably close to the max for a 2001 machine.   Take into account that your video card only having 64mb you're trying to play on the autobaun with a minivan.

As far as upgrading the honest truth is that you would realize more benefit by buying a new machine than you would trying to upgrade a 9 year old machine. 

Dell has some pretty disgustingly inexpensive machines right now.    The Zino HD's are getting good reviews, are tiny and play 1080i without fail.  HDMI output to boot.   http://www.dell.com/us/en/home/desktops/inspiron-zino-hd/pd.aspx?refid=inspiron-zino-hd&s=dhs&cs=19&ref=dthp

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2010, 05:59:55 PM »
Hey thanks for linking to those Zino's. I'm thinking about getting a new computer and the base price of one of those is real good. I would get more RAM and a larger HDD but that won't raise the price too much.

How would you customize it if you were to get one?
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline BobbyHurley

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2010, 06:30:35 PM »
Long time no see around here Wade.

From the specs you listed below i'd say that 'yes' it is time for a new PC.  I'd assume you're probably running an older P4 processor and 512mb RAM was probably close to the max for a 2001 machine.   Take into account that your video card only having 64mb you're trying to play on the autobaun with a minivan.

As far as upgrading the honest truth is that you would realize more benefit by buying a new machine than you would trying to upgrade a 9 year old machine. 

Dell has some pretty disgustingly inexpensive machines right now.    The Zino HD's are getting good reviews, are tiny and play 1080i without fail.  HDMI output to boot.   http://www.dell.com/us/en/home/desktops/inspiron-zino-hd/pd.aspx?refid=inspiron-zino-hd&s=dhs&cs=19&ref=dthp

Wow, thanks for the tip. I've got 2 flat sceen monitors, so I'm thinking I could pick one of these up just for audio/video editing.

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2010, 06:38:35 PM »
Remember the only downside to this particular product if you're into video/audio editing is that it does not have a digital audio input or room for an expansion card.  So if you have any DAT/analog transfers you'll need an external box for that.

Otherwise for me i'd pick any of them (looks like the last 2 just include a monitor).  With a 64bit OS you should try and start at 4GB of RAM.   You could always add more later but 4GB is perfect to start with x64 machines/OSes.   

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2010, 06:55:59 PM »
Remember the only downside to this particular product if you're into video/audio editing is that it does not have a digital audio input or room for an expansion card.  So if you have any DAT/analog transfers you'll need an external box for that.

Otherwise for me i'd pick any of them (looks like the last 2 just include a monitor).  With a 64bit OS you should try and start at 4GB of RAM.   You could always add more later but 4GB is perfect to start with x64 machines/OSes.

great point!  for me it is not too big of a deal because I have another computer room for cards so I could put it in that and then LAN it to the zino.

kind of a round about way of doing video/audio editing but no reason to dump a useful computer!

Offline BobbyHurley

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2010, 09:58:48 AM »
Perhaps a silly question, but what should I be shooting if I ultimately want to put it on a dvd (1080, 720, something else) ???

Offline tailschao

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2010, 05:46:22 AM »
Perhaps a silly question, but what should I be shooting if I ultimately want to put it on a dvd (1080, 720, something else) ???
If you want maximum quality, shoot as high as possible, regardless of the output. Shooting higher than your final resolution and doing a sharp downsize in post will look better than shooting in your final resolution.

Offline BobbyHurley

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2010, 10:39:34 PM »
OK, sounds good.

Follow up question ... if I shoot at 1080, then I can "downsample" in post using something like Vegas Video?

What do I need to "downsample" it to, to be able to convert and burn to a DVD?

Offline indiie

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2010, 09:10:40 AM »
I'm in a similar situation to you BH in that I have a new Panasonic TZ7 camera that records HD video and to edit/play back without stutter I need to buy a new PC. FYI I'm using the most expensive suggestion here as a basis for my new PC:
http://whirlpool.net.au/wiki/?tag=rmp_sg_whirlpoolpcs_multi_tasking_configs

In regard to compressing (I assume this is what you guys mean by down sampling) your HD vids this looks like a good free tool
http://www.videohelp.com/tools/SUPER

and here is a straight forward beginners guide for compressing using H.264
http://www.dvd-guides.com/content/view/143/59/

Offline tailschao

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2010, 10:59:24 AM »
OK, sounds good.

Follow up question ... if I shoot at 1080, then I can "downsample" in post using something like Vegas Video?

What do I need to "downsample" it to, to be able to convert and burn to a DVD?
Well DVD resolution is 720x480 for NTSC and 720x576 for PAL (the aspect ratio is decided by putting a A/R header into the file). And the codec used is MPEG-2. But most video editors should have an obvious functionality to output a DVD, or at the very least, a DVD compliant video stream that can be losslessly authored to DVD.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.072 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com