Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: powering the Sound Devices Mix-Pre/ Mp2  (Read 19623 times)

Offline braweave

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Taperssection All-Star
powering the Sound Devices Mix-Pre/ Mp2
« on: March 06, 2010, 10:56:45 PM »
Thinking of getting back into the game at some point (prob within the next year)

and I will be going with either the MP2 or Mix Pre.

my question is.. with Eco Charge now not around. What do you use to charge these??
Thanks
Neumann KM140 > Sound Devices MP-2 > Edirol R-09HR

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: powering the Sound Devices Mix-Pre/ Mp2
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2010, 11:23:57 PM »
Plenty of options:  lithium/nimh/alkaline AAs, li-on or nimh battery pack, self-made SLA (but why, when there are other, lighter, easier options).  Search the Remote Power thread for Mixpre or MP2 and I think you'll find some options.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline yug du nord

• ...til things never seen seem familiar…
  • Trade Count: (56)
  • made with natural flavor
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2010, 08:32:25 AM »
I'm using internal rechargeable 2500mAh NiMH AA's right now with my MixPre.....  gonna build a power cord so I use an external 9v dvd lithium battery.
.....got a blank space where my mind should be.....

Offline jlykos

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Don't sweat the technique
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2010, 10:27:05 AM »
I used rechargeable batteries and they worked very well.  The MP-2 is a power hog so be sure to have multiple sets of rechargeables around.  If you buy an older model, you may have to send it back to Sound Devices so they can fix the battery compartment so it can accept rechargeables.  They did this for free when I owned one; I am not sure what the deal is now.

Great little unit; I really enjoyed it a lot when I ran one.  I paired it with a modSBM-1 and loved the sound.
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

Offline su6oxone

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2010, 10:59:53 AM »
If you buy an older model, you may have to send it back to Sound Devices so they can fix the battery compartment so it can accept rechargeables.  They did this for free when I owned one; I am not sure what the deal is now.

Not free anymore.  Standard MP-2/MixPre servicing charge + shipping, came to about $100 when I sent mine in 2008.  But they do give the unit a thorough testing and touch up paint as well.

Offline moooose

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2010, 03:07:10 PM »
I use Sony's NiMH 2500 or 2700 mA rechargeables. The Sony charger needs less than 15 minutes to bring them to full power. Imho it is a pleasant solution (BTW I love the mix pre).

Offline jeromejello

• Team Florida - always brings the heat
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • surly tapir
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2010, 04:30:19 PM »
i use an external source (9v dvd battery) with a cable that ed from kindkables made.  i only use internals if i need to be super stealth and know that it won't be a long gig... i have had several recordings suffer from voltage drop when using internals.
open: mbho 603a (ka200n/ka500hn) > SD MP-2 > PCM-M10
stealth: AT853a (o/sc/c/h) > SD MP-2 > ihp120
misc: Earthworks SR77 | Shure VP88

bt & dime

Offline ducati

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2010, 10:30:50 AM »
jeromejello: how long were you taping when SQ went down?  What were the sonic signs of voltage drop?

I'm considering a mixpre myself.  Would be using it into my 702.

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2010, 11:37:47 AM »
i use an external source (9v dvd battery) with a cable that ed from kindkables made.  i only use internals if i need to be super stealth and know that it won't be a long gig... i have had several recordings suffer from voltage drop when using internals.

I contacted that homeboy to make me a cable but he never got back to me. Can I ask how much you paid for that cable? That seems like the best solution to me for the mixpre since I have a couple of those dvd batteries.
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline jeromejello

• Team Florida - always brings the heat
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • surly tapir
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2010, 05:14:45 PM »
jeromejello: how long were you taping when SQ went down?  What were the sonic signs of voltage drop?

i was using rechargables/alkaline batteries and probably had the mp-2 on for a around 3 hours (driving at853as for a little over 2 of them).  I would guess that lithium would last longer.

the sonic signs were a marked decrease in the amplitude of the wave (volume) so if i was recording in the -3dB range, i would drop to below -12dB and it would still look like i was pushing the envelope but the range was getting smaller... not sure if that makes sense... i will see if i can find one of my old screen shots...

I contacted that homeboy to make me a cable but he never got back to me. Can I ask how much you paid for that cable? That seems like the best solution to me for the mixpre since I have a couple of those dvd batteries.

i think it was around $25... if i remember correctly it ended up being more than was quoted but I think ed honored the price.  getting in touch with ed, ime, has always proven to be a little challenging... i think its best to contact him through his website for quickest response.  there might be other cable makers that would be willing to make this for you if time if of the essence.  darktrain makes some awesome cables and has quick turnaround.  although getting the plug (different for each mp-2 and mixpre) would be the longest part of the process (and probably the most expensive part... the hirose connectors arent cheap or easy to work with from what i understand).
open: mbho 603a (ka200n/ka500hn) > SD MP-2 > PCM-M10
stealth: AT853a (o/sc/c/h) > SD MP-2 > ihp120
misc: Earthworks SR77 | Shure VP88

bt & dime

Offline landshark

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2010, 04:32:57 PM »

Excuse me while I show my ignorance, but aren't the pre's in the 702 pretty close to the MixPre?  Or are the Lundahls in the MixPre unique to that model?
AKG 461's / 463's OR Senn MKH 8040's > MR1000 (Busman mod) or Shure FP24 (aka MixPre) > MR1 (open)
Coresounds Binaurals > CChurch 9100 > MR1 OR AKG CK1x/2x/3x > Deneke P20 > MR1 (low profile)

Offline su6oxone

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2010, 05:03:58 PM »
Excuse me while I show my ignorance, but aren't the pre's in the 702 pretty close to the MixPre?  Or are the Lundahls in the MixPre unique to that model?

The 7-series have transformer-less pres as opposed to the MixPre/MP-2.  I have no idea what that means but thought I would regurgitate that here.  :P

kirk97132

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2010, 10:35:59 PM »
I run an MP-2 and it has a way hotter out put than the 7xx series does.  Are they the same pre's?  I dunno.

Offline ducati

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2010, 08:59:06 AM »

The 7-series have transformer-less pres as opposed to the MixPre/MP-2.  I have no idea what that means but thought I would regurgitate that here.  :P

That is what I understand, also.  I'd like a Sonosax, but can't find one.  Maybe a V2, or a mixpre.  Or maybe I'll try a Portico.  I have been happy with the pre's on the 702, but I'm curious as to what I can get with different options.

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2010, 08:52:46 PM »

i think it was around $25... if i remember correctly it ended up being more than was quoted but I think ed honored the price.  getting in touch with ed, ime, has always proven to be a little challenging... i think its best to contact him through his website for quickest response.  there might be other cable makers that would be willing to make this for you if time if of the essence.  darktrain makes some awesome cables and has quick turnaround.  although getting the plug (different for each mp-2 and mixpre) would be the longest part of the process (and probably the most expensive part... the hirose connectors arent cheap or easy to work with from what i understand).

Thanks for the advice. I'll hit him up again and see if he can get in contact with me.
Robb (darktrain) referred me to Ed or else I would have had robb make the cable awhile ago.

I did notice the price of the screw in adapter, its about $10 on its own. but once you own the cable, it will always be yours.
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline taperj

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2010, 10:04:43 PM »
I had gone out and bought some rechargeables assuming they'd work in the internal compartment and to my surprise they didn't work reliably, eventually I'll just rewire a cable and do this job with a Tekkeon battery but here's what I did as a complete electrical novice. Not saying it's pretty but it works really well, it's cheap, and you can build it easily out of Radio Shack parts other than the 4 pin Hirose adapter. Here goes...

Materials:
8 x AA Battery Holder(Radio Shack Model: 270-387) - $1.99
Fully Insulated 9V Battery Snap Connectors(Radio Shack Model: 270-325) - $1.99
Hirose 4 Pin Male Push Lock(there are a couple varieties available but they all are suitable) - $14.00
8 x Rechargeable AA Batteries
Electrical Tape :)
Radio Shack Soldering Iron
Radio Shack Solder
Housing for the 9V battery snap(I just used rubber tubing)

Fairly self explanatory assembly from looking at the finished product. The 9V battery snap snaps right on the 8 x AA holder so the only real work involved is soldering the 2 wires on the 9V snap to the 4 pin Hirose, on the side of the mixpre it says which is to be hot and cold(On mine pin 4 = +  pin 1 = - ). After soldering I jacketed and filled any airspace where the wire enters into hirose connector jacket and then taped it up for extra security and housed the thin wire in a piece rubber tubing. I've run on it for about 10 shows now and the longest was 3 bands, that was about 6 hours without seeing the light start to dim at all, running phantom as well of course. 

One other really neat thing I stumbled upon is you can switch quickly from external to internal power while running with no ill effects, no spikes on the recording(this may be microphone specific, works on my 140's), no loss of phantom to the mics. So.. I just pop some old AA's in the internal compartment as a safety net for emergencies and to bounce off of if I ever need to swap to my second set of 8 rechargeable AA's while running. Hope this helps someone  ;D

« Last Edit: May 23, 2010, 12:14:37 PM by taperj »
Rig: Neumann skm184 or Neumann skm140 > Sound Devices Mixpre > Olympus LS-10 or Korg MR-1

Just ask the axis, he knows everything.

Offline braweave

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2010, 11:20:09 AM »
I had gone out and bought some rechargeables assuming they'd work in the internal compartment and to my surprise they didn't work reliably, eventually I'll just rewire a cable and do this job with a Tekkeon battery but here's what I did as a complete electrical novice. Not saying it's pretty but it works really well, it's cheap, and you can build it easily out of Radio Shack parts other than the 4 pin Hirose adapter. Here goes...

Materials:
8 x AA Battery Holder(Radio Shack Model: 270-387) - $1.99
Fully Insulated 9V Battery Snap Connectors(Radio Shack Model: 270-325) - $1.99
Hirose 4 Pin Male Push Lock(there are a couple varieties available but they all are suitable) - $14.00
8 x Rechargeable AA Batteries
Electrical Tape :)
Radio Shack Soldering Iron
Radio Shack Solder
Housing for the 9V battery snap(I just used rubber tubing)

Fairly self explanatory assembly from looking at the finished product. The 9V battery snap snaps right on the 8 x AA holder so the only real work involved is soldering the 2 wires on the 9V snap to the 4 pin Hirose, on the side of the mixpre it says which is to be hot and cold(On mine pin 4 = +  pin 1 = - ). After soldering I jacketed and filled any airspace where the wire enters into hirose connector jacket and then taped it up for extra security and housed the thin wire in a piece rubber tubing. I've run on it for about 10 shows now and the longest was 3 bands, that was about 6 hours without seeing the light start to dim at all, running phantom as well of course. 

One other really neat thing I stumbled upon is you can switch quickly from external to internal power while running with no ill effects, no spikes on the recording(this may be microphone specific, works on my 140's), no loss of phantom to the mics. So.. I just pop some old AA's in the internal compartment as a safety net for emergencies and to bounce off of if I ever need to swap to my second set of 8 rechargeable AA's while running. Hope this helps someone  ;D

Amazing!!

How long does that little sled power the Mix pre for??

Offline tim in jersey

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2010, 11:22:55 PM »
No need to have SD mod the spring(s).

Mod the battery. There's a little shrink wrap and wafer on the + side of the rechargable AA. Just need to trim the shrink wrap just below where the + terminal is capped and toss the shrink and wafer.

http://picasaweb.google.com/timmenewman/20100714NiMHBattMod#

Been doing this for years now w/ my FP-24 w/ no issues...

Offline dgale

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Los Lobos Tour Dates & Setlists
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2010, 12:26:08 AM »
I'm surprised to hear people mention power issues with the MP-2.  I've stealthed with it for years on 2 alkaline AAs, providing phantom to my KM140s, and never had a problem or thought of it as a power hog.  Most shows I can recall were in the 1.5-2.5 hour range, so maybe it's just because it wasn't long shows, but I always thought of that thing as going an impressive distance for something that ran on two AAs.  I've never tried it with rechargables - never had any faith in those things...it's always been eco-charge for open taping and alkalines for stealth. 
http://loslobos.setlist.com/

Mics: SKM140, CM300/CP-1/CP-2/CP-4
Pre/AD: SD MP-2, AD2K+, MiniMe, SBM-1
Recorders: Tascam DR-680, Motu Traveler, Korg MR-2, DA-P1, D8, D7, DTR-80P, D5, D6

Offline braweave

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2010, 10:33:49 PM »
I have bought an MP2 and I have a power cable for a portable battery.

I was told that it works with this:
http://www.overstock.com/Electronics/Initial-RB-270-Portable-DVD-Player-Rechargeable-Battery/3985593/product.html

unfortunately it looks like this battery is out of stock everywhere.

In reading this thread It looks like i need a battery that can handle 9v

the question is how much power do i need?? (i.e. xx00 mAh) I want to be able to power the Mp2 for at least 4.5 hours without any problems.
Thanks,
Branodn

Offline fmaderjr

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2010, 07:44:27 AM »
I believe this one will work as well:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Lenmar-Model-DVDU923-universal-Battery-portable-DVD-/320559148230?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4aa2d06cc6

You could wait and keep seaching for the RB-270 though. I got one from an E-Bay seller about 2 weeks ago, but don't see any one E-Bay or anywhere else now.
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

kirk97132

« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2010, 12:08:00 PM »
I believe this one will work as well:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Lenmar-Model-DVDU923-universal-Battery-portable-DVD-/320559148230?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4aa2d06cc6

You could wait and keep seaching for the RB-270 though. I got one from an E-Bay seller about 2 weeks ago, but don't see any one E-Bay or anywhere else now.

I believe that is a Ni-Mh not a Li-Ion...not that it matters.  those 9V dvd batteries have become hard to find at a good price.  I think if you look around you can still find the randoms but they want 40-50 bucks for them now.  I also bought on recently because it looked like they wouldn't be around.  I got it for $25.  Make me wish I scooped up a bunch when they were real cheap.  Like 5 of them isn't enough right now ;D

Same battery as Initial RB-270 with different branding:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Universal-Portable-DVD-Player-External-Battery-/370407592019?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Other_MP3_Players&hash=item563e035053
« Last Edit: July 31, 2010, 12:18:00 PM by kirkd »

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2014, 04:59:05 PM »
If you buy an older model, you may have to send it back to Sound Devices so they can fix the battery compartment so it can accept rechargeables.  They did this for free when I owned one; I am not sure what the deal is now.

Not free anymore.  Standard MP-2/MixPre servicing charge + shipping, came to about $100 when I sent mine in 2008.  But they do give the unit a thorough testing and touch up paint as well.

Sending my MP-2 in this week.  They quoted me $75.00 + parts.  I imagine shipping will carry it to $100.  Just updating the thread, that in 2013, Sound Devices was still upgrading the Spring in the battery tube.

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2014, 03:31:51 PM »
MP-2 on the way back next week! 

Sound Devices gave it the once-over and brought it back to factory specs: new XLR connectors, battery Tube, battery Spring, battery Enclosure, and headphone connector (noise issue).  I think there are a couple more updates that I didn't write down.  Any hoot, $147.00 shipped.  I can live with that.   :)         

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.103 seconds with 50 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com