Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: outdoor speakers  (Read 9717 times)

Offline doodee

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: outdoor speakers
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2011, 02:25:50 PM »
Little above your price range but I've had some Infinity Outriggers mounted under my eave year round for the last 14 years. They still sound great. Highly recommended.
An instrument that converts sound waves into an electric current >
an electronic amplifier which precedes another amplifier to prepare an electronic signal for further amplification or processing >
a device to capture an analog or digital source and store the encoded data in a digital format.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2011, 02:57:05 PM »
Install a couple hanging eye points in the rafter overhangs outside the attic, then call these guys and make them a pot of coffee-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Z-ex4VfmSY&feature=related
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Gordon

• Trade Count: (22)
    • my list
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2011, 04:36:08 PM »
thanks everyone.  think I'm going with the first one KC Mule posted.  great reviews and the pair for $89.  pretty good specs as well for what I need.

Did you end up getting these?  Just curious.

yep!  like them a lot!  the only issue (not really an issue) is that the output is a bit lower on the outdoor set than indoor (they are much less wattage than my indoor speakers).  not a huge deal but if you're coming in and out say when grilling I like the volume to be about the same inside and out.  my solution is to lower the level on the indoor set about 5dbs when I'm using both.  that gets both sets about the same volume.

for $90 shipped for the pair you can't beat them.
Microtech Gefell M20 or M21 > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II @ 32/48

https://archive.org/details/fav-gordonlw

https://archive.org/details/teamdirtysouth

Offline BJ

• been around the world and found that only stupid people are breeding the cretins cloning and feeding
  • They're baaack! ??
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2011, 03:33:58 PM »
anyone have any idea if there is an ideal range(ie. max) speaker cable length?  I am thinking about picking up a pair of these (maybe two).  b/c of my house, i would need a LONG run of wire  :-\
Auditory
Intake  waves -> 0/1's -> waves
it's magic 

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2011, 04:42:28 PM »
anyone have any idea if there is an ideal range(ie. max) speaker cable length?  I am thinking about picking up a pair of these (maybe two).  b/c of my house, i would need a LONG run of wire  :-\

For typical speaker wiring it's simply a matter of resistance- resistance increases as the run gets longer from amp to speaker so heavier guage cable is required to compensate.  If the run is really long the size and cost of the cable gets prohibitive.

If your run is really long, you may consider looking into a distributed audio type system.  Distributed audio systems (sound sytems in retail stores, airports, malls, schools, bigger resturants, theme parks, etc) typically have very long runs and lots of speakers.  Those systems use transformers at the amp and at each speaker to increase the voltage and decrease the current allowing less costly, lighter guage wire to be used.  Those systems often run at something like 70V.  Some outdoor speakers are specifically designed for that use and have built in transformers often with various taps so mulitple speakers can be wired together.  That kind of equipment is marketed more towards installers than then general public, but isn't necessarily more expensive.  Do a search about it to find out more.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline doodee

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2011, 09:31:38 PM »
Saw these Polk Audios at the local Sam's Club today. looks like a seasonal item. $149 a pair.

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/shop/product.jsp?productId=prod2830414&searchTerm=polk%20audio
An instrument that converts sound waves into an electric current >
an electronic amplifier which precedes another amplifier to prepare an electronic signal for further amplification or processing >
a device to capture an analog or digital source and store the encoded data in a digital format.

Offline bhadella

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Toiling away the day...
    • http://db.etree.org/bhadella1
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2011, 09:27:10 PM »
To the top!   

I ended up getting a pair of Klipsch AW-400 for $150.   http://www.klipsch.com/aw-400-outdoor-speaker

Time for some speaker cable recs.......I've heard good things about using 14 or 16 gauge low voltage outdoor lighting wire from Home Depot.  Any recommendations?
"Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter. "

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2011, 12:23:28 AM »
When a buddy cobbled together a DIY projector to project surf films on his garage, I wired up his yard with some 50' bargin bin outdoor power extention cables- tan instead of orange. Cut the molded plugs off and shorted the ground wire to one of the other two condutors at each end to so as not to waste copper and lower the resistance a bit more.  It was cheaper than the equivalent guage bulk wire, nicely jacketed and worked a charm.

Offline kcmule

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2011, 01:38:45 AM »
I've heard good things about using 14 or 16 gauge low voltage outdoor lighting wire from Home Depot.  Any recommendations?

That is what I used.  Seems to work fine for me.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.066 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com