Gear / Technical Help > Recording Gear

Roland R-05 has secret easter egg menu for more settings too!

(1/7) > >>

listener2:
Hi, just got my new Roland R05 this afternoon and found there is a hidden menu you can access by pressing the "A<>B/Split" button together with the "Menu" button.
It will display what looks like the normal menu screen but with an extra option choice #8 that says "Special Setup".
When you select that option #8 it takes you into a bunch more parameters that you can set and fiddle with.
The most useful one for me at the moment is turning off the "Record" red led light whenever you go into record mode.  That's good for stealth mode recording in dark places so it won't catch attention.
There is also a mic gain setting which is default I think to 18DB gain.  You can adjust it in fixed increments up or down a litlle bit.  I think the next higher gain step jumps to 28DB gain, the next lower setting is like 13DB gain (I cannot remember as I don't have it in front of me now).  There is also a setting called "Mic Bias" which is default set to *0.9.  I have no idea what it is for except my guess is how much battery voltage it sends to the mic plug in power.
Many other adjustments are in there to tweak reverb timings and all that too, there's more too but I just cannot remember the list.  But there you have it.  Nice easter egg they gave us.

Preamp noise? I have no conclusive opinion yet compared to my Sony PCM-M10 and PCM-D50 mic-in preamp noise levels.  But the R-05 seems to be just as quiet by my initial impressions.
No, I have not tested line-in overload levels.  I don't use line-in currently.
Updated: to correct menu selection choice #6 to #8 for the "Special Setup" after I looked at it again.  Also there is not adjustments for reverb settings, but rather the "Auto Record Start" parameters instead as well as the AGC level and attack settings.
#

jbou:
Wanted to bump this for all the new R-05 owners. I was able to find this special menu but I don't know what all the options mean. If you know what some are, jump in and let us know!

TimeBandit:
looks like the hidden menu from the r09hr has survived into this unit. In fact the r05 is its follow up.

LikeASong:
Sorry for the loooooong bump, but I've just got myself a cheap R-05 and I was surfing the website looking for info... THANKS very much to the thread opener for this info, it will be interesting to tweak that stuff when I get the recorder :)

rolandr05:

--- Quote from: LikeASong on July 27, 2012, 07:01:05 PM ---Sorry for the loooooong bump, but I've just got myself a cheap R-05 and I was surfing the website looking for info... THANKS very much to the thread opener for this info, it will be interesting to tweak that stuff when I get the recorder :)
--- End quote ---
It's cheap "now" after long time it was announced on the market so it doesn't mean the Roland R-05 is inferior to its direct competitors.
I've added more feedback in my thread: http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=158660.15

And thanks to @listener2 for helpful information.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version