Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Poll

Which version of the song sounds better? 1 or 2

1 sounds better
9 (60%)
2 sounds better
4 (26.7%)
they sound about the same
2 (13.3%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Author Topic: Nbox/CMR Comp  (Read 23146 times)

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Nbox/CMR Comp
« Reply #45 on: July 30, 2010, 11:44:36 AM »
I don't understand how people are getting so worked up over this thread. there are too many factors that could affect the sonic quality of the recording.

Head height
Mic spacing
Fabric over mics
People sitting in front that were taller
etc.....

The original post mentioned they were both DINA.   And while those other concerns are important, Ed and Nick are both very, very experienced at this.   If there were other relevant factors that compromised the comp, like people standing in front of them, different fabric, I think they would have mentioned it.   Ed just bought CMRs, and I'm sure he is entirely motivated to produce the best possible result. And I just don't see the list of items you mentioned causing the waveform oddness (which I posted about before the sources were revealed), and the issues that MSH measured.  Something is awry...

Hopefully, we'll get some more comps soon.  I imagine Ed in particular is very motivated to figure out what is up.

Offline darktrain

• Trade Count: (715)
  • Whats next?
« Reply #46 on: July 30, 2010, 12:25:21 PM »
I don't understand how people are getting so worked up over this thread. there are too many factors that could affect the sonic quality of the recording.

Head height
Mic spacing
Fabric over mics
People sitting in front that were taller
etc.....

The original post mentioned they were both DINA.   And while those other concerns are important, Ed and Nick are both very, very experienced at this.   If there were other relevant factors that compromised the comp, like people standing in front of them, different fabric, I think they would have mentioned it.   Ed just bought CMRs, and I'm sure he is entirely motivated to produce the best possible result. And I just don't see the list of items you mentioned causing the waveform oddness (which I posted about before the sources were revealed), and the issues that MSH measured.  Something is awry...

Hopefully, we'll get some more comps soon.  I imagine Ed in particular is very motivated to figure out what is up.

I have not seen anything strange in my waveforms when i use my cmr's and tinybox or bb so could be isolated and mean nothing

Offline yug du nord

• ...til things never seen seem familiar…
  • Trade Count: (56)
  • made with natural flavor
« Reply #47 on: July 30, 2010, 02:01:47 PM »
Is it safe to say that schoepsnbox and Darktrain wire the CMR's exactly the same?

Constructive criticism is a good thing.  It makes us all better if it's not taken personally.
.....got a blank space where my mind should be.....

Offline schoepsnbox

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Nbox...........Zero's and One's
« Reply #48 on: July 30, 2010, 03:45:53 PM »
I was supplied the pin configuration from ed who got it from msh..so I think it should be a standard configuration for tinybox..I would think so anyhow..jon?

Offline yug du nord

• ...til things never seen seem familiar…
  • Trade Count: (56)
  • made with natural flavor
« Reply #49 on: July 30, 2010, 04:50:44 PM »
I was supplied the pin configuration from ed who got it from msh..so I think it should be a standard configuration for tinybox..I would think so anyhow..jon?

So, it seems different wiring schemes for the CMR's can be ruled out.
That's a baby step.
.....got a blank space where my mind should be.....

Offline schoepsnbox

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #50 on: July 30, 2010, 07:44:59 PM »
So...is anyone interested in an Nbox rig ;D
« Last Edit: July 30, 2010, 09:03:51 PM by schoepsnbox »

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #51 on: July 30, 2010, 11:20:53 PM »
The only thing clear to me from reading this thread is that many people commenting have some form of vested interest in where this discussion goes.   

With the exception of some raw data being offered here and there, I'm starting to wonder whether the blind test at the beginning of this thread is the only really credible part of this thread.  :-\ :-\ 

Not meaning to be a dick and not intending to call anyone out...just sayin'.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2010, 11:26:49 PM by tonedeaf »

Offline schoepsnbox

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #52 on: July 30, 2010, 11:43:29 PM »
The only thing clear to me from reading this thread is that many people commenting have some form of vested interest in where this discussion goes.   

With the exception of some raw data being offered here and there, I'm starting to wonder whether the blind test at the beginning of this thread is the only really credible part of this thread.  :-\ :-\ 

Not meaning to be a dick and not intending to call anyone out...just sayin'.

What exactly are you sayin?

Offline edtyre

• Trade Count: (85)
  • Team Philly " No Excuses, Just Tapes"
« Reply #53 on: July 31, 2010, 03:04:21 AM »
I'm at Gathering Of The Vibes
I'll be home monday and will try to figure if anything went wrong with
the first recording i did with the CMR's. Just checked this thread and can't believe
all the comments. My intentions were honest. The CMR's sound pretty good up here
using Jon's PFA > R-44. How about i run one channel CMC6 and one channel CMR into the same
recorder?

Here's the pin config we used on my 5 pin connectors

pin 1 ground
pin 2 right signal
pin 3 left signal
pin 4 power
pin 5 open
music>mics>pre>recorder

Offline darktrain

• Whats next?
« Reply #54 on: July 31, 2010, 08:14:37 AM »
sounded good on both to me Ed, i didn't think there was anything wrong, did you? I have seen strange waveforms before(not with my current setup) but it resulted in nothing you could audibly hear.

« Reply #55 on: July 31, 2010, 12:07:51 PM »

Have you bothered to compare the waveforms?

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #56 on: July 31, 2010, 12:19:15 PM »
For those of us unable to do so on our own, would you mind posting some screenshots of the oddities?
It's not really necessary

I took "odd" to mean something unusual and/or unexpected, hence the request.  But from the discussion it seems the waveforms are simply different from one another, not necessarily "odd' in the sense I took it.  Thanks to all for the discussion to date...I'm curious to see where this leads.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

« Reply #57 on: July 31, 2010, 12:45:17 PM »
I took "odd" to mean something unusual and/or unexpected, hence the request.  But from the discussion it seems the waveforms are simply different from one another, not necessarily "odd' in the sense I took it.  Thanks to all for the discussion to date...I'm curious to see where this leads.

I'll see if I can dig something up this weekend...  It is easiest for me to do screenshots in linux, but my preferred audio tools are in windows.

MSH's comments may have explained it as being due to different frequency response.   The cmr waveforms tend to look "less detailed" than the other.  So in comparison they do look "odd".  Ideally, if we're digging that deep we should use the 24 bit source, to eliminate any dither concerns.

We need a good cmr vs. cmc6 comp, ideally into a 4 chan recorder.  Then people can direct any pissed-off-ness at Schoeps.

Offline schoepsnbox

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #58 on: July 31, 2010, 05:53:55 PM »

Bottom line, dither doesn't cause +/-3dB peaks in response below 10kHz.

None of this is a concern unless you are recording mosquito farts  ;D   Just sayin'

Should have some more good comps once Ed gets back home...CMC6 vs CMR's...That will be the true test!
« Last Edit: July 31, 2010, 05:55:29 PM by schoepsnbox »

Offline darktrain

• Whats next?
« Reply #59 on: July 31, 2010, 06:08:11 PM »

Bottom line, dither doesn't cause +/-3dB peaks in response below 10kHz.

None of this is a concern unless you are recording mosquito farts  ;D   Just sayin'

Should have some more good comps once Ed gets back home...CMC6 vs CMR's...That will be the true test!

So its personal for you nick, thats at least 2 shots you have taken at me personally when i have never done that to you, you sure are doing your best to paint the cmr in a bad way, not sure why, there is plenty enough room for both, and i will say it again, both samples sounded good but more people prefer the one, that doesn't mean there isn't a place for the other. Here is a quote of yours  "these CMR's were designed for some lame wireless transmitter", thats just a nasty statement, tapers are very inventive people much like yourself who also took a product and modified it for a use that many have loved, i don't see the difference there. You are trying to make it like there can only be one, thats what i was defending, and i have no personal gain except for the fact that I really like the setup. There is room for both, can't we just hug it out and call it a day.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2010, 06:20:51 PM by Darktrain »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.074 seconds with 42 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com