Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Modded PS-2 won't work with Oktava MK-012's. Grounding issue?  (Read 15130 times)

Offline (Evan)

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
Modded PS-2 won't work with Oktava MK-012's. Grounding issue?
« on: January 03, 2011, 03:52:35 PM »
Hey guys. So I just got a PS-2 with a 5-pin mini-XLR to 1/8" output mod, and it refuses to work with my Oktava MK-012's into my Sony PCM-D50. It just outputs static and a barely audible signal from the mics. I tried it with AKG C414 B-ULS mics and it works perfectly. What could be going wrong here? The Oktavas work perfectly when I use them with my Microtrack II's phantom power, so the mics aren't broken. Could it be a grounding/balancing issue? I'm no electrician so I'm not familiar with how that kind of stuff works. Would someone here be able to mod the unit for me or, if its not too difficult, tell me how to mod it myself?

Thanks.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 12:12:51 AM by (Evan) »

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
Re: Modded PS-2 won't work with Oktava MK-012's. Grounding issue?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2011, 10:53:04 AM »
What you describe is puzzling. ??? If what you describe is accurate it sounds like a bad cable to me. Maybe there is an intermittent problem with either the mic cables or the five pin breakout cable?

Do you have a multi-meter?

If so, check continuity on all of the cables you are using. I'd test the cables while jiggling them around, to make sure there isn't a short somewhere too.

If that's not the problem, then I'd check the voltage output of the PS-2 across Pins 1 and 2 and Pins 1 and 3. If the voltage is 48v +/- 4 volts then the phantom power is working. I've owned several PS-2's and I know they are built very well. I doubt it is the PS-2 itself, but I guess anything is possible.

Who did the 5 pin breakout cable mod? Maybe you could send to back to him to see if he can fix it for you?

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline darktrain

• Trade Count: (715)
  • Whats next?
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2011, 10:58:00 AM »
Thats one i made but he just got this(ps-2 and cable) second hand from someone else, more than happy to take a look but odd that it would be fine with one set and not the other, have you tried multiple sets of cables connecting to the ps-2, very well could be a ground issue, there are certain mics that need to be grounded to the chassis(mbho actives) as well, just a thought
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 11:00:41 AM by Darktrain »

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2011, 11:00:07 AM »
odd that it would be fine with one set and not the other

Yeah, that part is puzzling.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline (Evan)

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2011, 11:11:29 AM »
have you tried multiple sets of cables connecting to the ps-2, very well could be a ground issue, there are certain mics that need to be grounded to the chassis(mbho actives) as well, just a thought

Do you mean tried using different XLR cables connected to the microphones?

Offline darktrain

• Whats next?
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2011, 11:24:20 AM »
have you tried multiple sets of cables connecting to the ps-2, very well could be a ground issue, there are certain mics that need to be grounded to the chassis(mbho actives) as well, just a thought

Do you mean tried using different XLR cables connected to the microphones?

yeh

Offline (Evan)

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2011, 11:26:53 AM »
I actually only have olne set of XLR cables that I just got them the other day from B&H. I'll go down there and exchange them.

These are the cables: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/574243-REG/Pearstone_C24136_6_3_Pin_XLR_Male_to.html
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 04:52:01 PM by (Evan) »

Offline ArchivalAudio

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Teams Milab | MBHO | TeamVW:2011 Touareg TDI
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2011, 04:11:19 PM »
Not that I'll have a great suggestion
but how are you powering the PS-2?
if only it's only by a single 9v battery have you replaced it?
I had a PS-2 that would power my RODE NT5's fine with a 9-V battery - however it would ONLY do So for about 1 hour! then I would get the static distorted sound as the battery drained to hell.
sound like devil evil bad mojo voodoo stuff!

So I ended up hauling around a 12v SLA battery to power my PS2 and My AD 20 - after contacting denecke and they said it can run from (I think) 7 to 18 v DC - but 9 would be a good range but one the power dropped it sucked!

You could power it with a 9vDVD battery for longer life.

anyhow my point is
that some mics are more tolerant of their Phantom voltages...
some ONLY want p48 while other s can be powered fine by P12
the AKGs may be more tolerant of a voltage drop than the oktava's

I don't know ?

the other thing I did was to get a simple 9v DC wall wort from Rat Shack and cut the cable and spliced in 2 plugs - one for the PS-2 and one for the AD-20  for those shows where power was not an issue.

do you have solid power for the PS-2?

can you get a wall wort and place a plug on the end of it so you can assure stable power?

that's my input at this time

good luck
--Ian
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 04:13:32 PM by ArchivalAudio »
~ Archival Audio ~
Archiving Worthy Music
since 1986 & digitally since 1995

https://www.facebook.com/ArchivalAudio/

Main Mics: Milab VM-44 Links • Milab DC-196's (Matched  Pair)  • MBHO KA500 or KA300 •
PreAmps:  BaybNbox  • Naiant LittleBox • Naiant [Milab VM44] TinyBox • Naiant PIPsqueak
Recorders: MixPre 10T •  Tascam DR-100 mkIII • Sony A-10 • Sony M-10 

macMini 3Ghz i7 16GB Ram 500GB SSD • MOTU UltraLite
Naiant MSH-2's •   TOA K1's • Beyer TG 153c's •  AT 853 (4.7kmod darktrain) • Countryman B3's (1 k mod)  + other assorted mics

Offline (Evan)

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2011, 04:40:43 PM »
Well I just got back from B&H and I exchanged the XLR cables for much nicer ones, and the problem persists.

I don't believe it's a problem with the 9v battery, as I used an AC adapter with the PS-2 and it does the same thing. I also don't think that the PS-2 is incompatible with the Oktavas, because there are several recordings available on the LMA where people used the two together.

My guess it that it has something to do with the way the 5-pin output plug is wired, or the breakout cable itself.

Sooo any suggestions as to what to do next?

Thanks!

Offline (Evan)

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2011, 04:54:35 PM »
Oh also, I forgot to mention. When the PS-2 arrived, the plug for the breakout cable was actually loose, and the plug could spin in a circle with the cable connected. I rotated it clockwise and it tightened. Could the spinning have pulled a wire loose?

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • goes to 11
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2011, 05:06:51 PM »
Oh also, I forgot to mention. When the PS-2 arrived, the plug for the breakout cable was actually loose, and the plug could spin in a circle with the cable connected. I rotated it clockwise and it tightened. Could the spinning have pulled a wire loose?

That's an easy one....open up the connector and have a look inside. I had a customer return an xlr cable that shorted out on him...I opened up the xlr and one of the pieces of heatshrink that I used to isolate the shield had slipped back and the shield was grounding out against the chassis. Happens all the time with regular field use. Someone who's handy should be able to fix it for you if that's the case.
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline (Evan)

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2011, 05:23:43 PM »
Opened up the PS-2 and didn't see anything disconnected. I took some pics of the open unit in case anyone can spot a problem.

Offline (Evan)

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2011, 06:05:50 PM »
Does the PS2 have output capacitors on all leads of the 5-pin (except ground of course)?

I'm not sure what that means, but you tell me then I can check.

Offline darktrain

• Whats next?
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2011, 06:10:42 PM »
Does the PS2 have output capacitors on all leads of the 5-pin (except ground of course)?

I'm not sure what that means, but you tell me then I can check.

with one set of mics working and one not then what  Jon is talking about makes sense, i had a ps-2 once and it wouldn't work for my 4021's but worked for other mics, i never investigated further, i just bought a mixpre instead ;D

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • goes to 11
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2011, 06:11:58 PM »
I meant to open up the connector of the cable - the mini xlr. More likely to short out than the mounted PS-2 jack.
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.104 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com