Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: DSLR questions  (Read 14942 times)

Offline Teen Wolf Blitzer

• It's all ballbearings these days.
  • Trade Count: (6)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I am Rattus Norvegicus.
    • Support Festival Radio
Re: DSLR questions
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2011, 02:48:07 PM »
I'm not sure that cam is pro enough for me to move away from my camcorder/Rebel combo.  I'm thinking more Canon/Nikon.

I have a question.  Is there a DSLR out yet that can shoot 1080p for an unlimited time?

The Panny GH2 will do 1080i with no limit.

Fran

Offline Sockan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2011, 03:13:31 PM »
I have a friend that really like the video part of GH2, so that part isn't a problem I think. It doesn't come close to his canon though in still photography.
GH2 has more noise in high ISO´s and the lens choices is far behind Canon/Nikon.
I haven't tried it myself, so I can't say anything about this...
Equipment:
Two ears recording to a 16Kb memory between them.

Offline Teen Wolf Blitzer

• It's all ballbearings these days.
  • Trade Count: (6)
  • I am Rattus Norvegicus.
    • Support Festival Radio
« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2011, 03:36:29 PM »
I just really love a lot of the dslr footage I've seen.  More movie type stuff than music but I like the indi type look they produce (film like is I guess the term I'm looking for).  I would seriously consider a 5-D if not for the damn limit thing. 

I just need to buy this.  My brothers rig in LA.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 04:25:00 PM by Mark Burgin™ »

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2011, 04:31:45 PM »
chicks for free and money for nothing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWXDjiKVs2U
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline johnw

• Trade Count: (11)
    • My cd List
« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2011, 07:40:09 PM »
I just really love a lot of the dslr footage I've seen.  More movie type stuff than music but I like the indi type look they produce (film like is I guess the term I'm looking for).  I would seriously consider a 5-D if not for the damn limit thing. 

I just need to buy this.  My brothers rig in LA.

Other than Peter Jackson I didn't know anyone was using these. These are very cool and VERY pricy.
Schoeps MK41 & MK4V  |  Schoeps CMC6, Schoeps KCY, AKI/2C, PFA, Nbox Cable/PFA  |  Grace V2, Nbox Platinum  |  SD744T, SD MixPre 6, Sony PCM M10

Canon 16-35mm/2.8L mkii, 24-70mm/2.8L, 70-200mm/2.8L IS, 50mm/1.8 mkii, 135mm/2L, 100mm/2.8L IS, Sigma 35mm/1.4 A  |  Canon 5D mk4

Offline printguy

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Rockin' in Toronto
    • hipfans.com
« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2011, 08:11:16 PM »
Lots of folks are using DSLRs to shoot video. An episode of House was shot with a 5D: http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/13/canon-5d-mark-ii-used-to-shoot-entire-house-season-finale-direc/

The "film" look comes from lens, aperture, frame rate, lighting and aspect ratio - and post-processing. Oh... And skill!
• CA-11 or CA-14 > Naiant TinyBox > Tascam DR-1
• Neumann KM184s > R-44

Offline phanophish

• Trade Count: (2)
    • ImageLume Photography
« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2011, 01:28:15 PM »
Lots of folks are using DSLRs to shoot video. An episode of House was shot with a 5D: http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/13/canon-5d-mark-ii-used-to-shoot-entire-house-season-finale-direc/

The "film" look comes from lens, aperture, frame rate, lighting and aspect ratio - and post-processing. Oh... And skill!

For most forms of true professional video DSLR is a great option. High quality, relatively low cost, superior optics, etc. The key problem becomes a long single continuous shot that is often needed for live concert performances, which is what a lot of the people here are looking to use the camera for. 

Photo:  Nikon D300, D200, 35mm f/1.8,  50mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8, Nikon 17-55 f/2.8, Sigma 18-50/2.8 Macro, 18-70 f/4.5-5.6, 24-120 f/3.5-5.6 VR, Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6, Nikon 70-200 f/2.8VR, SB-800

Jake: What's this?
Elwood: What?
Jake: This car. This stupid car. Where's the Cadillac? The Caddy? Where's the Caddy?
Elwood: The what?
Jake: The Cadillac we used to have. The Blues Mobile!
Elwood: I traded it.
Jake: You traded the Blues Mobile for this?
Elwood: No. For a microphone.
Jake: A microphone? Okay I can see that.

Offline fguidry

• Taperssection Regular
    • Kaleponi - Slack Key in California
« Reply #37 on: January 29, 2011, 03:03:23 PM »
I'm not sure that cam is pro enough for me to move away from my camcorder/Rebel combo.  I'm thinking more Canon/Nikon.

I'm just learning about video and photography. This guy seems to have a fair amount of experience, and picks the GH2 as the top choice in replaceable lens camera format video shooters: http://philipbloom.net/2010/12/07/whichdslr/

Due to the mirrorless micro 4/3 design, the GH2 can use practically any lens with the appropriate (lensless) adapter.

If you visit DVXuser.com you can peruse extensive discussions of the various choices. Several folks who described themselves as committed Canon users have said that they're switching to the GH2.

Fran

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
« Reply #38 on: January 30, 2011, 06:47:57 AM »
After reading about some of the models reviewed by Bloom, surprised to learn manual audio features in still cameras do exist, and some have actual VU level indicators.  Even better, one or two cameras with manual audio actual allow making level adjustments WHILE shooting, and NOT before LIKE MOST which block audio adjustments after staring a shoot.  I am thrilled to hear the GH2 has good chance of being one of those with active audio VU indication, and always working manual adjustment.  At least a good rumor of having such until verified with first shipment arriving in a few months.
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

Offline fguidry

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #39 on: January 31, 2011, 12:44:53 PM »
After reading about some of the models reviewed by Bloom, surprised to learn manual audio features in still cameras do exist, and some have actual VU level indicators.  Even better, one or two cameras with manual audio actual allow making level adjustments WHILE shooting, and NOT before LIKE MOST which block audio adjustments after staring a shoot.  I am thrilled to hear the GH2 has good chance of being one of those with active audio VU indication, and always working manual adjustment.  At least a good rumor of having such until verified with first shipment arriving in a few months.

OK, my GH2 is here. Good news on the video, especially the low light performance with the 20mm f1.7 pancake lens. Not so good on the audio. The quality is better than average using the built-in mics, and it is possible to activate a tiny little "vu" display that will at least warn of clipping, but the mic sensitivity is only adjustable to one of four levels, and I can't find a way to adjust it during the shot.

I'm still keeping the camera, though <grin>.

Fran

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
« Reply #40 on: February 01, 2011, 01:04:40 PM »
Does the GH2 allow choice between ALC auto and Manual Level Control audio modes?

If manual mode is available, and VU shows at least there's a signal present and overload events, then sending high quality stereo from external audio devices having manual level control seems a practical way to make audio level adjustments while filming with this camera model. 
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

Offline fguidry

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #41 on: February 01, 2011, 02:30:10 PM »
Does the GH2 allow choice between ALC auto and Manual Level Control audio modes?

If manual mode is available, and VU shows at least there's a signal present and overload events, then sending high quality stereo from external audio devices having manual level control seems a practical way to make audio level adjustments while filming with this camera model.

The place I go for in depth discussion of the GH2 and other video issues is DVXuser: http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/

There's no option to turn off the AGC in the GH2, at least not that I've found so far. The AGC is pretty reasonable based on one test of recording amplified music, though.

Fran

Offline ingsy

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #42 on: February 05, 2011, 06:52:31 AM »

I have a question.  Is there a DSLR out yet that can shoot 1080p for an unlimited time?

The Panny GH2 will do 1080i with no limit.

Fran

If you are going w/ a full frame sensor on the canon/nikon, then I would agree, but if not then I would go w/ a GH2.  Spend some time on dpreview.com looking at reviews, then time on flickr comparing images.
Mics: AKG C 414 B-XL II/ST, Nevaton MCE 400
Other: M148, AD-500e, AD-1000, ACM PMD 660, R09-HR, JB3

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #43 on: February 05, 2011, 09:33:34 AM »
If you are going w/ a full frame sensor on the canon/nikon, then I would agree, but if not then I would go w/ a GH2.  Spend some time on dpreview.com looking at reviews, then time on flickr comparing images.

The gh2 is small and interesting, for sure.  I haven't tried one, but the limited lens selection and lack of a traditional viewfinder are major drawbacks that would require a lot of mulling over.

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #44 on: February 05, 2011, 10:40:04 PM »
I have a feeling more lenses for the micro 4/3 will be seen soon. I think the m4/3 is perfect for someone who wants almost a dslr but not the price.
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.105 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com