Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Stereo bars  (Read 33869 times)

Offline newplanet7

• Hasn't heard a muddy 460/480 tape. EVER. Mike Hawk
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • The Place To Be...... Akustische u. Kino-Geräte
Re: Stereo bars
« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2011, 06:35:20 AM »
with the akg and vark bars, you just hold the mic still and turn the screw until it's tight, repeat for the other side and then secure the cables. the shure bar has a washer you spin to meet the mic clip/shock to keep it from turning.

^^^ what john said.  keep at it, u will get it, and then laugh at yourself when u find how easy it is.  ed

i've tried it with that bendable bar, but didn't work so well.  I will try it again...
Yep.
Just don't spin the mic mount. Get it to the desired angle and hold it while screwing in the bottom screw that comes on the bar.
MILAB VM-44 Classic~> Silver T's~> Busman PMD660
News From Phish: Will tour as opening act for Widespread Panic for Summer
hahaha never happen, PHiSH is waaaaayyyy better the WSP

They both ain't got nothing on MMW... Money spent wisely if you ask me...

FYI, it is a kick ass recording of a bunch of pretend-a-hippies talking.

Offline John Willett

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
Re: Rycote Stereo bars
« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2011, 06:56:00 AM »
Rycote put the new stero bar up on their website last night.

THIS is the link.

UK retail is £151 +VAT for the 40cm kit and £159 +VAT for the 70cm kit.

A bit more expensive than I had thought they would be, but they do come complete with mounts for two microphones, a riser to convert one so the microphones can cross over and loops so the bar can be slung from a catenery wire.

Offline johnw

• Trade Count: (11)
    • My cd List
« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2011, 11:08:21 AM »
with the akg and vark bars, you just hold the mic still and turn the screw until it's tight, repeat for the other side and then secure the cables. the shure bar has a washer you spin to meet the mic clip/shock to keep it from turning.

^^^ what john said.  keep at it, u will get it, and then laugh at yourself when u find how easy it is.  ed

i've tried it with that bendable bar, but didn't work so well.  I will try it again...

If you're referring to the AKG/K&M bar, I once had a pair of shock mounts where the socket was more shallow than the screw, so even though it was screwed in all the way, it wasn't tight and the mounts still turned. If that is what you experienced, you might be able to fix that with some combination of 3/8>5/8 and 5/8>3/8 adapters or possibly removing that adapters if they are screwed into the mount.
Schoeps MK41 & MK4V  |  Schoeps CMC6, Schoeps KCY, AKI/2C, PFA, Nbox Cable/PFA  |  Grace V2, Nbox Platinum  |  SD744T, SD MixPre 6, Sony PCM M10

Canon 16-35mm/2.8L mkii, 24-70mm/2.8L, 70-200mm/2.8L IS, 50mm/1.8 mkii, 135mm/2L, 100mm/2.8L IS, Sigma 35mm/1.4 A  |  Canon 5D mk4

Offline NOLAfishwater

• is not taping much these days
  • Trade Count: (72)
  • I LIKE FISHIN
« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2011, 11:42:10 AM »

THIS is the link.

A bit more expensive than I had thought they would be, but they do come complete with mounts for two microphones, a riser to convert one so the microphones can cross over and loops so the bar can be slung from a catenery wire.

I wonder if you could squeeze a pair of LD mics like the 414's on it for near coincident pair?

Offline John Willett

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #34 on: March 16, 2011, 02:08:29 PM »

THIS is the link.

I wonder if you could squeeze a pair of LD mics like the 414's on it for near coincident pair?

I would guess - yes.

If you get a second riser and put it on top of the other - or - turn it vertical.

Offline Teen Wolf Blitzer

• It's all ballbearings these days.
  • Trade Count: (6)
  • I am Rattus Norvegicus.
    • Support Festival Radio
« Reply #35 on: March 16, 2011, 02:35:55 PM »
Damn that just looks like a piece of prefabbed track with sliders.  I have that type of stuff at work.  I'll have to check it out tonight.  never thought of that.

Chimney Top

« Reply #36 on: March 16, 2011, 04:49:13 PM »
Damn that just looks like a piece of prefabbed track with sliders.  I have that type of stuff at work.  I'll have to check it out tonight.  never thought of that.
That's what I'm sayin', who the hell is going to pay $300-$500 for that?  that is a giant rip off.

Chimney Top

« Reply #37 on: March 16, 2011, 04:54:27 PM »

If you're referring to the AKG/K&M bar, I once had a pair of shock mounts where the socket was more shallow than the screw, so even though it was screwed in all the way, it wasn't tight and the mounts still turned. If that is what you experienced, you might be able to fix that with some combination of 3/8>5/8 and 5/8>3/8 adapters or possibly removing that adapters if they are screwed into the mount.

^this

Thanks, I'll remember to take my shockmounts with me to the store to get either the right bar or adapter, reducer...

Offline audBall

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Feel brand new about it
« Reply #38 on: March 16, 2011, 07:00:37 PM »
^ Rubber washers, totalled at about $0.20, should fix any spacing issues with sockets being too shallow.  They also give the ability to "fine tune" the angle after the screws are tightened. 
mg m20.21.23 ■ akg ck61.62.63 »  nbob■naiant
aercomp2 ■ v2∞3 ■ sx-m2d2
d100 ■ pmd661 ■ r44ocm ■ f3

Chimney Top

« Reply #39 on: March 16, 2011, 07:29:58 PM »
why do that when you can spend $241.73 on that Rycote?  ::)

it appears this thread has not turned up any units that are reasonably priced with more features than just a screw and a bar.  and that there is a $300 price gap between those that do and those that do not.  With maybe one or two exceptions in the $70-$100 range.

Offline darby

• Trade Count: (108)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Support artists and venues that allow recording
« Reply #40 on: March 16, 2011, 07:38:39 PM »
I guess my point is that you can make do... at least I have, with the basic stuff
sorry for deleting my post, but I didn't want anyone to think I was bashing the Rycote brand

Offline John Willett

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #41 on: March 16, 2011, 07:46:15 PM »
That's what I'm sayin', who the hell is going to pay $300-$500 for that?  that is a giant rip off.

Er - retail in the UK = about $240  (£151).

I think Rycote wanted to make it cheaper - but that's just what it cost to make.

The Rycote does have distance and angle markings - though not as good as the Grace.

In the US the Grace SpaceBar may be affordable.

In the UK the Grace is more than double the cost of the Rycote - but in the US the Grace will be much cheaper and the Rycote more expensive as it costs to ship across the pond.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 07:47:54 PM by John Willett »

Offline rjp

• Taperssection Member
  • You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
« Reply #42 on: March 16, 2011, 07:46:38 PM »

I ran into a similar issue with the mic clips that came with my AKG Perception 170s. What I did was to use a couple of washers over each screw. Works like a charm...
Mics: AKG Perception 170, Naiant X-X, Sound Professionals SP-TFB-2
Preamps: Naiant Littlebox
Recorders: Olympus LS-10
Interfaces: Focusrite Saffire Pro 14, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2

cashandkerouac

« Reply #43 on: March 16, 2011, 10:48:31 PM »
The AKG bar is a classic and works wonderfully, here's another option just to spice things up. The good ol' Shure A27M, it's not light, but it works well and is certainly bombproof. I have both the AKG and the Shure in my bag when I run full bodies but I tend to run the A27M.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/68616-REG/Shure_A27M_A27M_Stereo_Stand_Adapter.html

(this is a little over the 50$ limit specified but close enough)

might be a dumb question, but how does the Shure one work?  None of the cheaper models have any flexibility in positioning, except side to side spacing (not a huge fan of the bendable bar, its ok).  why you have to spend $400 or more to get simple features they all should have sucks.

Thanks for helping me with my research.

From another thread... Here is a Shure A27M mounted on an AKG 235/1 with a windtek clamp, not a typical usage of the AKG unit but a creative one.  :clapping:  Thanks, Darby!

very cool!

Offline soundpro

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #44 on: March 17, 2011, 12:11:23 AM »
Hello:

Since there was a specific request for a product, I hope it is OK to list a couple of ours:

http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/item/SP-DTS-10
http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/item/SP-DTS-12

Thanks!

If you have any questions, please let me know.

Best Regards,

Chris Carfagno
sales@soundprofessionals.com
www.soundprofessionals.com
The Sound Professionals, Inc.
3444 Sylon Blvd
Hainesport NJ, 08036
800-213-3021
609-267-4400
609-267-0054 fax

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.097 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com