Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: DINa bar not foolproof enough.  (Read 3680 times)

Offline ianmacd

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
DINa bar not foolproof enough.
« on: June 28, 2012, 10:39:42 AM »
Hello,

I've just received one of Louis' (NOLA) DINa mount bars in the post. It comes with no instructions and you'd think none were needed, but...

I'm confused about how to use it. I plan to use it with a pair of CCM 41Vs lying horizontally, the microphone tips pointing backwards, the sides splayed out towards the PA. The problem is that there's nothing to hold the microphones in place. When I screw the cable into the microphone and seat the metal base of the connector in the hole of the mount bar, it slides in nicely, but there's no friction or tension to hold the microphone in place.

Am I missing something obvious or is this mount bar not quite the right tool for the job?

I'm flying to England tomorrow with the intention of recording the three Stone Roses shows at Heaton Park, so I really need to get this figured out today.

Any help appreciated. Thanks,

Ian
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 11:08:35 AM by ianmacd »
Factory-matched Schoeps CCM 41V microphones -> Marantz PMD661 recorder with Oade Concert Mod
Factory-matched DPA 4060 microphones -> DPA MMA6000 amplifier -> Edirol R-09HR

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: DINa bar not foolproof enough.
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2012, 10:53:13 AM »
A quick fix would involve tape on the connector, or bar, to snug things up.

Your bar is not quite a fit.  A bar properly sized will have just enough friction fit to hold the mic snug.  Not too snug, and certainly not loose.

The CCM is different than the more common KC5/KCY collette.  As I recall, the CCM uses a LEMO connector.  I've measured them but don't have the data handy.  My recollection is that the lemo is actually slightly larger than the KC5/KCY.

Offline NOLAfishwater

• is not taping much these days
  • Trade Count: (72)
  • I LIKE FISHIN
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2012, 10:55:11 AM »
you might need to pry the mouth of the opening open with a coin so that it end of the ccm fits in there.

view from the top with it seated properly in the mount with KC cables which is the same size as CCM U series

with the CCM Lemo series. some people just leave the cables permanently mounted and just remove the capsules when not in use.

« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 10:56:56 AM by NOLAfishwater »

Offline ianmacd

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2012, 11:08:12 AM »
you might need to pry the mouth of the opening open with a coin so that it end of the ccm fits in there.

I see. Yes, that works. I wasn't expecting to have to apply any brute force to the thing. Thanks for your incredibly fast response.

One other thing: where your DINa appears for sale in on-line audio shops, the product description mentions velvet-lined mount holes and cable locks. This bar has neither. Is it supposed to?

Cheers,

Ian
Factory-matched Schoeps CCM 41V microphones -> Marantz PMD661 recorder with Oade Concert Mod

Offline NOLAfishwater

• I LIKE FISHIN
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2012, 11:42:12 AM »
send me a link. the mount is just the bar. maybe they were referring to a shockmount that had cable lock.

Offline NOLAfishwater

• I LIKE FISHIN
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2012, 11:44:11 AM »
don't use brute force. you can use a large flathead to pry it as well. just be careful

Offline ianmacd

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2012, 11:49:26 AM »
send me a link. the mount is just the bar. maybe they were referring to a shockmount that had cable lock.

Yes, sorry for the confusion. You're right. The shockmount has the cable lock and the cradle is lined with felt.

Offline ianmacd

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2012, 11:52:36 AM »
don't use brute force. you can use a large flathead to pry it as well. just be careful

I used a coin, but it needed quite a bit of pressure to widen enough to accept the connector.

Perhaps leaving the connectors in there overnight will pry open the plastic just enough that I'll be able to mount the connectors next time using a lot less pressure.

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2012, 12:00:58 PM »

I used a coin, but it needed quite a bit of pressure to widen enough to accept the connector.

Perhaps leaving the connectors in there overnight will pry open the plastic just enough that I'll be able to mount the connectors next time using a lot less pressure.

Some of these mounts need more pressure than others, but you should be able to push it in firmly without needing to use a screwdriver, I'd think. If not I'd just use the screwdriver without the mic in there to shave a tiny bit of the plastic back. 

Some of mine fit better than others, though I don't have trouble getting the mic into any of them.  My DINa bar seems to be a little tighter with the part that holds the cables than others, FWIW.
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline yug du nord

• ...til things never seen seem familiar…
  • Trade Count: (56)
  • made with natural flavor
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2012, 12:30:40 PM »
CCM41V....  freakin sweet!!....  pick up a small vertical NOLA bar when you get a chance...  then you have multiple options with one bar.
.....got a blank space where my mind should be.....

Offline darktrain

• Trade Count: (715)
  • Whats next?
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2012, 01:13:23 PM »
take a xacto knife and round off the entry edge just a little so its not a sharp edge and they will be much easier to insert

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.056 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com