Gear / Technical Help > Ask The Tapers

Recording anomoloy... What could cause this?

(1/4) > >>

moonchilddave:
Ok, I just recently taped a loud rock concert and am seeing something odd I've never seen before...

AT933 (w/sub-cardioid elements) - concealed in the liner of a hat with one above each ear
Sound Professionals Battery Box (dual level controls with bass roll-off) - bass roll-off turned off
Edirol R-09HR (LIMITER: off, PLUG IN POWER: off, LOW CUT: off, MIC GAIN: L) -used LINE IN and had level set to 39

The audio turned out sub-par.  Forgive me if I'm not using proper terms here - but when I pull the audio in to my editing software (Sound Studio 4 for Mac), usually I see the waveforms displayed on the center line for each track with equal amounts above and below the center line.  For some reason, this time the main audio still seems to be along the center line with a fair amount dipping farther below it than above it (in the negative? direction).  Someone suggested fiddling with the DC offset, but that shits the ENTIRE waveform up or down, moving the center above or below where it should be.  Any clue what's going on here?  See the attached image.

Also, here is a sample from the beginning of the show: https://soundcloud.com/dave-downin/ttw-nothing

Thanks for any advice / help!

page:
My first instinct is a dying battery if it sounds bad and you weren't recording brass horns.

jefflester:
Yeah, dying battery would be my first guess. Only time(s) I saw an asymmetric waveform were from a dying (battery box) battery.

moonchilddave:
Hmmm... I was using a Maha PowerEx 9.6V 230mAh IMEDION "Ready When You Are!" Rechargeable battery.  I had charged it the night before and put it in the battery box.  I wouldn't think that it would have drained that quick, but I guess it's possible (I pulled the battery and charged it again before I even started to mess with the audio).

moonchilddave:
Here's one zoomed in... I notice there seems to be some noise that appears to be riding the waveform... I'm going to have another shot this Thursday as I'm headed out to see Queensryche on their 25th Anniversary Operation Mindcrime tour.  Really hoping that turns out a little better than this did.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version