Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Attenuating clapping in live recordings - the easy way  (Read 18285 times)

LoveBuzz81

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Attenuating clapping in live recordings - the easy way
« Reply #60 on: March 25, 2017, 01:57:39 PM »
Limiter

Any particular type of limiter?  Basically I want to filter all frequencies/sound -6db and louder and then normalize the wav file.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2017, 01:59:36 PM by LoveBuzz81 »

Offline Sloan Simpson

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • Southern Shelter
« Reply #61 on: March 25, 2017, 02:21:20 PM »
Limiter

Any particular type of limiter?  Basically I want to filter all frequencies/sound -6db and louder and then normalize the wav file.

Any limiter will do that, though some have more control than others over how it's accomplished. I use FabFilter Pro-L.
Neumann KM-184> Tascam DR-680

LoveBuzz81

« Reply #62 on: March 25, 2017, 05:48:55 PM »
Limiter

Any limiter will do that, though some have more control than others over how it's accomplished. I use FabFilter Pro-L.

Hmm, I'm trying a noise gate but it's only filtering sound below a certain threshold rather than above.  I'll check out some other plugins.

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (26)
« Reply #63 on: March 25, 2017, 07:23:50 PM »
How can you attenuate/filter only frequencies that are above a certain db level?  (for quiet performances with clapping 10 db's louder than the music.). This should be straightforward... not sure how to execute this with Logic or Audacity.

My preferred way in Audacity:

1. Highlight the area with loud clapping.
2. Effect > Hard Limiter
3. Set Residue Level to 0.7  Basically this softens the limiter somewhat making it not sound offensive like a limiter often does.
4. Set dB limit to -12 or so.  You may have to set it a little bit lower than you think because changing the Residue Level makes your setting here less than a "hard" limit.
5. Hit OK, then decide if that does what you wanted it to without actually limiting the music.  You will have to go back and forth and undo / redo a couple of times to get it where you want.  Make sure to leave Residue Level at 0.7, but adjust the dB limit.
DPA 4061 | Line Audio CM3 | Naiant X-Q
Naiant PFAs | Shure FP24
Tascam DR-70D JWMod | Sony PCM-M10

Tascam DR-70D FAQ
Team Line Audio
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.    ///    If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music.
- Gustav Mahler

LoveBuzz81

« Reply #64 on: March 25, 2017, 07:46:42 PM »
How can you attenuate/filter only frequencies that are above a certain db level?  (for quiet performances with clapping 10 db's louder than the music.). This should be straightforward... not sure how to execute this with Logic or Audacity.

My preferred way in Audacity:

1. Highlight the area with loud clapping.
2. Effect > Hard Limiter
3. Set Residue Level to 0.7  Basically this softens the limiter somewhat making it not sound offensive like a limiter often does.
4. Set dB limit to -12 or so.  You may have to set it a little bit lower than you think because changing the Residue Level makes your setting here less than a "hard" limit.
5. Hit OK, then decide if that does what you wanted it to without actually limiting the music.  You will have to go back and forth and undo / redo a couple of times to get it where you want.  Make sure to leave Residue Level at 0.7, but adjust the dB limit.

I don't see Hard Limiter under effects in Audacity.  I'm using Noise Gate in LPX w/ the duck feature.  Not too effective.

Offline Sloan Simpson

• Trade Count: (1)
    • Southern Shelter
« Reply #65 on: March 26, 2017, 09:16:31 AM »
Limiter

Hmm, I'm trying a noise gate but it's only filtering sound below a certain threshold rather than above.  I'll check out some other plugins.

Do you use a hammer for screws? Wrong tool.
Neumann KM-184> Tascam DR-680

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.128 seconds with 28 queries.
© 2002-2017 Taperssection.com