Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: gear on airplanes  (Read 11490 times)

Offline Phil Zone

• Trade Count: (22)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: gear on airplanes
« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2014, 02:46:42 PM »
is it worth disconnecting everything?
Microphones: AKG 460B, 480B, Naiant Actives,CK1,CK61,CK62,CK63, CK69, Busman BSC-1, CA-14
Preamps: Naiant Littlebox, Naiant Tinyhead
Recorders: Zoom F6, Tascam DR-05

LMA Shows: http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Cam%20Keough%22&sort=-date

Offline RobertNC

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2014, 11:32:46 PM »
I've had the entire range of experiences from no questions to being pulled out and taken to a room and interviewed.

Stands are an issue.  I either check them or better yet try to do without.

But everything else goes with me - I always am short on time and flying in day of show, I plan on taping, the show.  Period.  So I assume the stand if I check one at all will not make it, and carry a full working rig sans stand and enough clamping hardware that I can either manage on my own or maybe with a little help from another taper if I checked a stand that did not arrive.

Mics, recorder, cables, clamps, and yes lithium batteries, sometimes lots like 6 (the DVD style since I run a 722) all in my carry on.

Just use some basic common sense and think about what you are doing.  Have everything well organized and packed methodically, allow yourself plenty of time.  I do not put it in a separate bin but I treat my 722 like what it is - a computer, and remove it and put in  the same bin with my gear bag.

Shoes go in first, everything else gear always goes last so that if and when they red flag it you have already gotten dressed, gotten the rest of your shit and are calm and ready for whatever happens next.  At that point all you have to know is that TSA is Law Enforcement, they are not your friends, don't want them to be your enemies.  Like ALL law enforcement officers they want one thing first and foremost - an attitude that immediately makes it clear to them that your are not cordial, not cooperative, not friendly, but rather you are COMPLIANT (cordial, cooperative are are part and parcel, but compliance is the key to your demeanor).

It's pretty simple really.  Have your shit together, be compliant and whatever happens you will get through - I have yet to not make it... ;-)

SD:  Microtech Gefell M210 > Silver Clad XLRs > SD722
LD:                   ADK A51 TL > Silver Clad XLRs > SD722
Guns:               DPA 4017    > Silver Clad XLRs > SD722

Offline Phil Zone

• Trade Count: (22)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2014, 06:08:50 PM »
Just went through Logan airport. Went with 2 little boxe a 680 and a tin of other stuff. No issues just a quick side check and they said OK.
Microphones: AKG 460B, 480B, Naiant Actives,CK1,CK61,CK62,CK63, CK69, Busman BSC-1, CA-14
Preamps: Naiant Littlebox, Naiant Tinyhead
Recorders: Zoom F6, Tascam DR-05

LMA Shows: http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Cam%20Keough%22&sort=-date

Offline weroflu

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #33 on: July 07, 2014, 07:10:25 AM »
They just issued new guidelines, cell phones have to be powered up before entrance on international direct flights to the u.s.

I'm not quite sure I understand how they can enforce this since this involves literally every international airport and it's outside the u.s.

Also it seems strange that only cell phones are targetted and no mention of any other piece of electronic equipment.

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #34 on: July 07, 2014, 09:52:09 AM »
They just issued new guidelines, cell phones have to be powered up before entrance on international direct flights to the u.s.

I'm not quite sure I understand how they can enforce this since this involves literally every international airport and it's outside the u.s.

Also it seems strange that only cell phones are targetted and no mention of any other piece of electronic equipment.

I thought it was other things as well.

They now do customs abroad in a number of places; get your return stamp and duty declared before you even leave the ground. It would happen there as they have the equipment.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline Ultfris101

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Spoon!!!
« Reply #35 on: July 07, 2014, 10:16:38 AM »
I believe it's currently stated as something like "certain devices" may have to be powered up prior to being cleared for flights to the US from "certain locations" which have not been named yet. It doesn't sound like it's a blanket "all devices must be powered up first" requirement - yet.
Mics: Schoeps MK5,MK41 CMC6,KCY,KC5 | AKG ck63,ck1 C460B,C480B | DPA 4061 | Naiant X-R card,hyper | CA-14o,c
Pres: Sound Devices USBPre2 | Naiant Tinybox | Church Audio 9200, UBB
Recs: Zoom F8 | Edirol R-44 | Sony PCM-M10 | Tascam DR-2d
Video: Sony CX550(2), CX580, HX9

LMA: http://archive.org/bookmarks/ultfris101

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #36 on: July 08, 2014, 01:56:53 AM »
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline John Willett

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #37 on: July 08, 2014, 06:38:38 AM »

In the UK they say *any* piece of electronic equipment would have to be switched on - including iPads, computers, cameras, etc....

So this would include any recorder.

If it was only phones, the bombers would just put it in a camera, or the like.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.077 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com