Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Crackle Removal - SoundForge  (Read 3807 times)

Offline microburst

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • formerly "mcroberts"
Crackle Removal - SoundForge
« on: March 30, 2014, 05:57:55 PM »
What's the easiest and best way to remove crackle/static in SoundForge?  There's a crackle and click removal plugin, but it doesn't seem to catch everything.

Reason for question: Last night I was recording Bonerama and running omni's on stage through the house snake.  The left channel mic must have not been seated properly in the snake or it's also possible I had a bad house cable (used house lines to take the mic feed out of the snake to my preamp) because the left channel has crackle and static periodically throughout the show.  If I keep the mic pair low relative to the board mix in the mixdown the crackle is not that noticeable, but I'd like to use as much of the omnis as possible because the capture came out quite well otherwise. 

Here's a sample of the noise I'm trying to get rid of...is there a way to sample this noise and try to remove throughout?

Offline 2manyrocks

• Taperssection All-Star
Re: Crackle Removal - SoundForge
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2014, 07:44:00 PM »
I don't use Soundforge enough to be able to offer a useful suggestion about it.  One I'm more familiar with is download a free trial copy of Reaper and try running the ReaFir plug in.  You build a noise profile of the crackle during a quiet section and then ReaFir will try to subtract it.   

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2014, 08:45:38 PM »
I've had good luck with iZotope RX2 with crackle removal.

Worse comes to worse you can paste your right omni channel over the left and add a little artificial stereo.
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Marshall7

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2014, 12:51:17 AM »
I've had good luck with iZotope RX2 with crackle removal.

Worse comes to worse you can paste your right omni channel over the left and add a little artificial stereo.

Ditto on both points

Offline microburst

• Taperssection All-Star
  • formerly "mcroberts"
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2014, 07:36:23 AM »
What is the process or function to add artificial stereo?

Marshall7

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2014, 02:09:29 PM »

Highlight and delete the bad track, copy and paste the good track over the blank one.  I usually add a few milliseconds delay at the front of the copied track.

Offline microburst

• Taperssection All-Star
  • formerly "mcroberts"
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2014, 04:20:31 PM »

Highlight and delete the bad track, copy and paste the good track over the blank one.  I usually add a few milliseconds delay at the front of the copied track.

Ohh...so you were just talking about rendering mono to stereo - that's easy enough and no explanation required.  When I read "add artifical stereo" I assumed some kind of effect or processing was applied to the file after the mono track was rendered to stereo.

I don't want to go that route with this recording as the stereo AUD capture is quite good other than the on and off intermittent left channel crackle.  I don't think the entire left channel needs to be wiped out as the crackle is intermittent and mostly noticeable between songs.  I'll try to downlod the Izotope tool or Reaper and see if it helps.

Offline capnhook

• All your llamas are belong to us....
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • All your llamas are belong to us....
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2014, 08:02:56 PM »
SF's "repair" tool lets you copy short selections from the good track....
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.084 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com