Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Audacity Matrix Question (loss of bass)  (Read 4090 times)

Offline johnw

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • My cd List
Audacity Matrix Question (loss of bass)
« on: April 04, 2014, 06:14:12 PM »
Not sure where else to put this. I recorded Umphrey's McGee 2 nights ago with Schoeps mk4V>V2 and mk41>744 both recorded into the 744 at 24/48. I loaded the 4 mono files into Audacity, adjusted the gain and then exported it to a stereo file. I also made stereo files for the individual 4V and 41 tracks. Individually these have significantly more bass than the matrix file when I'm listening to them. I think this can be caused by phase cancellation, but I'm not sure how that could have occurred. I can upload 3 of the same tracks somewhere if that would help. Any ideas?
Schoeps MK41 & MK4V  |  Schoeps CMC6, Schoeps KCY, AKI/2C, PFA, Nbox Cable/PFA  |  Grace V2, Nbox Platinum  |  SD744T, SD MixPre 6, Sony PCM M10

Canon 16-35mm/2.8L mkii, 24-70mm/2.8L, 70-200mm/2.8L IS, 50mm/1.8 mkii, 135mm/2L, 100mm/2.8L IS, Sigma 35mm/1.4 A  |  Canon 5D mk4

Offline vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • If you ain't right, you better get right!
    • The Mudboy Grotto - North Mississippi Allstar fan site
Re: Audacity Matrix Question (loss of bass)
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2014, 06:32:00 PM »
If you invert the phase in one of the sources, it will be fixed. 
If you have a problem relating to the Live Music Archive (http://www.archive.org/details/etree) please send an e-mail to us admins at LMA(AT)archive(DOT)org or post in the LMA thread here and we'll get on it.

Link to LMA Recordings

Link to Team Dirty South Recordings on the LMA

Mics: Microtech Gefell M21 (with Nbob actives) | Church Audio CA-11 (cards) (with CA UBB)
Pres: babynbox
Recorders: Tascam DR-60D | Tascam DR-40 | Sony PCM-A10 | Edirol R-4

Offline johnw

• My cd List
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2014, 07:09:46 PM »
Is it possible from looking at a .wav file to tell if it's out of phase? Why would one of the sources be out of phase? I know that was a problem with V3s but I've never heard of that happening to a V2 or a 744. I wouldn't think a cable would be the cuprit.

Full lineage is:

mk41>Nbox Cable>Naiant PFA>darktrain XLR>744 (1,2)
mk4v>KCY>Naiant PFA>darktrain XLR>V2>darktrain RCA to mini XLR>744 (3,4)

Is there any other reason the bass would be lost on the matrix?
Schoeps MK41 & MK4V  |  Schoeps CMC6, Schoeps KCY, AKI/2C, PFA, Nbox Cable/PFA  |  Grace V2, Nbox Platinum  |  SD744T, SD MixPre 6, Sony PCM M10

Canon 16-35mm/2.8L mkii, 24-70mm/2.8L, 70-200mm/2.8L IS, 50mm/1.8 mkii, 135mm/2L, 100mm/2.8L IS, Sigma 35mm/1.4 A  |  Canon 5D mk4

Offline vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • If you ain't right, you better get right!
    • The Mudboy Grotto - North Mississippi Allstar fan site
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2014, 07:11:21 PM »
If you invert the phase in one of the sources, it will be fixed.

It is easy to invert the phase and check out the results.  No hand wringing necessary.
If you have a problem relating to the Live Music Archive (http://www.archive.org/details/etree) please send an e-mail to us admins at LMA(AT)archive(DOT)org or post in the LMA thread here and we'll get on it.

Link to LMA Recordings

Link to Team Dirty South Recordings on the LMA

Mics: Microtech Gefell M21 (with Nbob actives) | Church Audio CA-11 (cards) (with CA UBB)
Pres: babynbox
Recorders: Tascam DR-60D | Tascam DR-40 | Sony PCM-A10 | Edirol R-4

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2014, 11:33:22 PM »
Yeah, that's my first thought as the bass cycles are slow enough that you'd end up with cancelation compared to just comb filtering in the upper frequencies. You can visually check polarity by seeing if a drum snap is starting going up or down.

My second guess would be poor alignment and things need to be adjusted in time one way or another by a handful of milliseconds (assuming the two pairs were close together in space). Still phase cancelation, but a different cause.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2014, 02:03:19 AM »
If the sources are synced and aligned, you can zoom in to look at the large, low-bass waveforms which should be all going up or down pretty much across all channels more or less evenly. If one channel or a pair is obviously going down on the largest half-waves when the others are going up, invert polarity on that channel or pair.  But regardless of the visual appearance, rely mostly on flipping polarity back and forth while listening for the difference in the bottom  end.

Could be caused by different mic locations.  Might be on set of the PFAs (my PFAs invert my DPAs). Could be an XLR cable with pin 2 & 3 crossed.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline johnw

• My cd List
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2014, 09:05:33 AM »
Mics were on same shockmount so not a spacing issue. I just dragged the files into the audacity so I don't think it's a timing issue. When I muted either channel during playback both sounded fine (bass wise). I ended up inverting the mk4v file and the bass was fine on the matrix, so I think it's phasing. It sounds ok, kind of too much bass and mid range but listenable. I'll post the link to the archive file

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2014, 12:45:19 AM »
Mics were on same shockmount so not a spacing issue.

hmm... Less likely, sure, but not necessarily.

Have a 30 second sample of all four individual tracks? Worst we could do is go "well, yeah, dunno."
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

Offline johnw

• My cd List
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2014, 02:55:26 PM »
I'll make up some samples in a bit. Thanks

EDIT: actually I realized I deleted the original wav files. I can post stereo tracks of the 2 sources if that would help.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 03:43:20 PM by johnw »

Offline johnw

• My cd List

Offline hoserama

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2014, 08:54:28 AM »
Loaded the files into Audition and looked at the wave form. Folks here are very correct--the files are phase inverted to each other. Night and day difference when you flip the polarity.
Audio: Countryman B3 + AT853(hypers/cards/subcards) + SBD feeds
Wireless Receivers: Lots of those
Antennas: Lots of those
Cables: Lots of those
Recorders: TE TX-6, Zoom L20R, Zoom F8, (3) Tascam 680, (3) Tascam 2D, Zoom H6, and a graveyard of irivers/nomads/minidiscs.

Offline hi and lo

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2014, 12:58:25 PM »
I'd need to fire up Spice to re-confirm, but the signal for the Nbox vs. KCY are from different legs of the FET (laymans terms... different polarity). Pretty sure all nbox recordings are phase inverted and ran into this plenty of times trying to matrix them with other AUD sources.

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2014, 02:01:22 PM »
I'd need to fire up Spice to re-confirm, but the signal for the Nbox vs. KCY are from different legs of the FET (laymans terms... different polarity). Pretty sure all nbox recordings are phase inverted and ran into this plenty of times trying to matrix them with other AUD sources.

and that is an interesting fact I didn't know (but makes sense).

Offline johnw

• My cd List
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2014, 03:37:23 PM »
Awesome information! The mk4Vs were on Nbox cables and the 41s were on a KCY. Makes total sense. I inverted the 4Vs when I made the Matrix and the bass was present again so that's what I shared on archive.org. I'll just need to remember to invert any Nbox recordings for future Matrix recordings.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.062 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com