Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Recorded show too low- how to fix?  (Read 2540 times)

Offline wharfrat48

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Recorded show too low- how to fix?
« on: May 13, 2014, 02:26:03 PM »
Just started recording, and somehow made a newbie mistake and recorded a show too low.  Looks like I average about -30 to -35db and peak about -25db.  Show was recorded 24/44.1.  I have been using Audacity, and was wondering if Amplifying or normalizing would be a better option?  Should I normalize to 0.0db or set the amplification to 25db?  Allow or not allow clipping?  Should I be normalizing all my recordings to 0.0db?  thanks for your help   

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
Re: Recorded show too low- how to fix?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2014, 02:57:15 PM »
You can do it either way.  I can't remember the specifics of Audacity, but if using nomalization choose 'peak normalization' rather than 'RMS normalization'.  Don't allow clipping.  Your target is to bring the highest peaks to just under 0dBfs.  Shoot for -0.5dBfs or even a couple dB below 0dBfs, within 3dB is fine.  Not all material needs the levels up that high though, only the stuff that should be loud.  You wouldn't want spoken word or a solo flute performance or something peaking that high, it would end up far too loud relative to everything else in your music catalog.

If amplifying instead of normalizing, you'll need to determine how much to amplify rather than specifying a peak threshold, which is part of what the normalization function does for you.  Find the highest peak, note it's level and use that to figure how much you need to amplify to land around -0.5dBfs or a bit lower.

Either of the above methods will bring up the level as much as is practical without making any changes whatsoever to the music itself.

If you want to get the average level up higher than that, you'll need to lower the extent of the peaks.  There are lots of ways to do that, and lots of ways to do it badly.  All of them will make changes to the music itself, some more transparently than others.  That's a more advanced topic for a different thread.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline wharfrat48

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2014, 03:02:01 PM »
Thanks for the reply, I will give normalization a try tonight

Offline wharfrat48

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2014, 11:42:29 AM »
OK, I went ahead and normalized last night and I think it went well.  There is a particularly loud peak during one song (0.9 vertical scale) which keeps the rest of the recording around 0.5 on the vertical scale.  Should I make any mods because of this or just leave it alone?  Second question, since Audacity only exports files at 16bit (I think), does it matter if I normalize, export at 16bit, then label tracks and export individual tracks or should I do all my modifications prior to exporting at 16 bit?

Finally, should I normalize all my "loud" concert recordings to the same level (I normalized to -1.0db)?  I am trying to target around -15db during recording at 24/44.

Thanks again

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2014, 01:06:50 PM »
If it's loud enough that you don't need to crank the volume knob more than a reasonable amount on playback you don't need to do anything more.  If you want to get the average level up higher, you can usually find and modify a couple of the very highest peaks which are often significantly higher than all others.  You may only need to do that for one or a handfull of those highest peaks to be able to raise the level of everything else enough to be comfrotable.  The easiest way to modify them is to find them, zoom in until you can see the transient peak itself, then either redraw just the peak with the pencil tool or make a quick volume envelope change which just covers the peak event an lowers it to about the level of all the other peaks.  That becomes a chore with more than a few, but usually there tends to be a just a few really bad offenders.  A limiter can do it automatically, but is much easier to abuse unless you learn how to set it correctly and listen very closely to make sure it's not screwing up the sound.

You want to do all editing such as level changes, peak editing, and other stuff like eq or whatever before dithering to 16bit and exporting from your editor. However, simple file splitting and renaming is an exeption to that and can be done either before or after export.  Check to make sure Audacity is set to automatically dither when exporting.  The standard trianglar dither option is entirely adequate, you don't need anything fancier like noise-shaped dither. 

Audacity has the abilitly to export files at different bit-depths, but that's not necessary if the end product you want is 16bit.  You can either export the entire set as a single file, then split that into individually labled tracks using another tool (such as CDWave if you are on windows, which is excellent for spitting and renaming tracks) and that's how most folks seem to do it.  Or you can do the track splitting and naming in Audacity and export the individual tracked files directly.  It's mostly a workflow choice and I can't remember the specifics of tracking and renaming in Audacity.  I use Samplitude and do it all within the editor, but I still use CDWave for some stuff.

It's safe and makes sense to normalize all your 'loud' concert recordings to -1.0dBfs as part of your standard processing.  -15dB is a good target when recording most things, which leaves some saftey room for unexpected peaks.  Lower than that is fine too, as long as you don't find that you need to amplify so much that you begin to hear the noise of your recording equipment.  The tricky part is that it can be hard to tell sometimes if the noise at the bottom is from your equipment or from the environment in which you are recording.  But none of that will be a problem for most loud concert recordings where the noise floor of the recording environment is usually well above that of your equipment.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 07:58:49 PM by Gutbucket »
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline wharfrat48

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2014, 06:10:15 PM »
Awesome   thanks so much for the info

Marshall7

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2014, 10:06:13 PM »
Audacity DEFINITELY exports as 24 bit.  Adjust in preferences.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.062 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com