Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Acoustic taping  (Read 1804 times)

Offline StarkRavingCalm

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
Acoustic taping
« on: November 14, 2014, 10:34:22 AM »
There is a band that plays near me fairly regularly that I am thinking of asking to record. Really good singer, would love to capture some of the performances.
Sometimes she really belts it out, sometimes a little more restrained, like last night  :(
2 acoustic guitarists\vocalists and a percussionist.

Looking for some advise on the best way to record them if I am given permission.

Here are some variables to consider.

Big open area, even with only a few people, it is fairly loud chatter-wise.
Bands usually sound like shite there unless they have a dedicated soundguy.
( I've seen a national act there and the sound was really great, but that's the only time).
Stage is kind of kitty-cornered in the room.

I was thinking lip of stage but have no real experience with that.
Can run cardioids or omnis.

Thanks in advance

Offline bombdiggity

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Acoustic taping
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2014, 11:51:43 AM »
The real issue with any vocalist/s is how to get the PA without too much of the room or especially too much of the crowd if they are chatty. 

Vocals generally require amplification which puts you somewhere out in the crowd where that sweet spot is unless they run a fairly strong vocal signal through the monitors with an appropriate balance of everything vocally and instrumentally. 

Acoustic bands I'd always try to get from stage lip to on stage unless they have vocals.  With vocals I tend to go as close as there is good balance from the PA and onstage sound.   

My general MO when undecided is to run from wherever my ears say it sounds best.  Since you've had time to scope things out and should have more I'd suggest walking the room (including around the satge area to the extent you can) to determine where you have balanced sound with the fewest distractions.  If there is an even mix onstage then by all means do that.  Otherwise I think you're looking for a close sweet spot out in the room...

If you're in the room and there's yapping I'd strongly lean toward cards.  Onstage omnis. 
« Last Edit: November 14, 2014, 12:00:33 PM by bombdiggity »
Gear:
Audio:
Schoeps MK4V
Nak CM-100/CM-300 w/ CP-1's or CP-4's
SP-CMC-25
>
Oade C mod R-44  OR
Tinybox > Sony PCM-M10 (formerly Roland R-05) 
Video: Varied, with various outboard mics depending on the situation

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.072 seconds with 26 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com