Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: PIPsqueak questions  (Read 17276 times)

Offline beatkilla

• Trade Count: (70)
  • Needs to get out more...
PIPsqueak questions
« on: November 26, 2014, 12:23:13 PM »
I would ask jon directly but want to hear other users feedback who are running this as well.

1)I charged the PIPsqueak up until light turned green(is green full charge or should i continue to charge for undetermined extra amount of time?)

2)So assuming PIP was fully charged now i ran it a show and after 90mins the light turned from green to orange,this was quite a concern as i could only assume that this was the low battery light.Inbetween sets i unplugged the PIPsqueaks output cable to power down unit.Plugging output cable back in for main set the light turned green again for about 5mins than went to orange again and i ran it for 90 more mins.During this last 90mins the orange light proceeded to get more yellow and dimmer as time elapsed.I was sure my recording was screwed but all seems well on initial playback and checking waveforms.

3)Assuming the PIPsqueak was now fully drained after this 3hr run i charged it and the light tuned green after only 30mins---->>continue back to question 1.

Offline Humbug

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Humbug Hum Rejection Unit
    • Trading site
Re: PIPsqueak questions
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2014, 11:19:01 AM »
Probably not a lot of help, but that's not my experience in the field - I've used PIPsqueak around 5 or six times, typically for 2-3 hours at a time, and it's stayed green throughout.

Recharge time does seem pretty quick, sometimes as little as half an hour till it goes green.

I've had the light flickering during recording once, but that was because I had the switch set to medium for a loud rock gig, and I believe it nearly overloaded the signal. Recording was OK though.
UK based taper: MK4>Nbox Platinum>PCM-M10
AT853C>CA9200 / PIPsqueak>Tascam DR-2D

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Humbug66

Offline beatkilla

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2014, 11:25:04 AM »
I'll run some more testing later on today.Also it seems that on the recording from the time when the orange yellow light came on there is a hum throughout the rest of the recording too.

Offline Humbug

• Trading site
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2014, 11:39:31 AM »
Mains hum from a cable (or siting the recorder too close to the SBD)? Running too close to a PC? Those are the times I've had it.

Offline beatkilla

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2014, 09:51:06 PM »
I ran a test set up in living room and after 6 hours power light was still green,than charging took only 20 minutes.That seems kind of a fast charge so im letting continue to charge anyways not sure what the problem was the other night.And to clarify about Hum im not sure if that was thru the PA or not although it doesnt seem to of been.

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2014, 05:27:47 PM »
I ran a test set up in living room and after 6 hours power light was still green,than charging took only 20 minutes.That seems kind of a fast charge so im letting continue to charge anyways not sure what the problem was the other night.And to clarify about Hum im not sure if that was thru the PA or not although it doesnt seem to of been.

Do a runtime test from an indicated full charge to low battery, that should take about a day.

Bingo!!! The ONLY sure way to test your battery, is to keep running battery runtimes to see where your battery dies. I run for DAYS when I get a new piece of gear, like the vms02ib I'm running/testing now lol ;) But that way I know exactly how long I can push it at festies and long shows 8)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline beatkilla

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2015, 05:20:02 PM »
I have another question.I remember reading somewhere in the original pipsquak thread about the unit not actually powering off when cable from output is unplugged and switching the gain switch from high to low after unplugging the output?Is the standard procedure because i have done that before but last time i know i didnt. Which was about 2 weeks ago and today plugged in charger and must be drained because it usually takes 30 minutes to turn green but this has been charging for 4 hours and still orange.

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2015, 10:31:11 PM »
I have another question.I remember reading somewhere in the original pipsquak thread about the unit not actually powering off when cable from output is unplugged and switching the gain switch from high to low after unplugging the output?Is the standard procedure because i have done that before but last time i know i didnt. Which was about 2 weeks ago and today plugged in charger and must be drained because it usually takes 30 minutes to turn green but this has been charging for 4 hours and still orange.
there was something about the first ones and power
I didn't pay much attn because it didn't effect me
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline beatkilla

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2015, 08:43:57 AM »
I sent jon an email.mine seems dead let it charge for 17 hours,still orange and when i plug in mics no light at all.

Offline 2manyrocks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2015, 06:31:36 PM »
Gotta say pipsqueak was a brilliantly named product.  Is there a charge to update the first units?  I think mine is one of the first seven.

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2015, 10:43:54 AM »
What's it mean when I plug in PIP mics and I hear a high pitched tone through the recorder? I thought it was feedback but the tone is present even when headphone are not connected to the recorder. Do I need to adjust the gain?

Mics were countryman b3s and I think chris church's ca14 omnis.
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline Humbug

• Trading site
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2016, 04:26:40 PM »
Could someone please tell me how to remove the battery from a PIPsqueak?

I've removed the bottom cover, but can only get the battery to protrude from the bottom.

Leads on replacement batteries (particularly in Europe) would be most welcome. In desperate need.

They seem to be four 1.2V 1/3 AA size NiMH, total 4.8V, 280mAh, sealed together.

Can take a picture if necessary.

Cheers,

Humbug

Offline Humbug

• Trading site
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2016, 05:03:11 PM »
Here are my PIPsqueaks:

Offline Humbug

• Trading site
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2016, 05:06:06 PM »
This is link to the OEM:

http://www.batteryspace.com/nimh-battery-pack-4-8v-280mah-square-4x1-3aa-rechargeable-battery.aspx

Fairly obviously, if I want the batteries to last longer than two years (particularly as I will then need to find an electronics engineer to solder on new connectors), I will want something different.

Please help!

Offline Massive Dynamic

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • 20 years of the best in apocalyptic gothic metal
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2016, 03:00:36 PM »
Gotta say pipsqueak was a brilliantly named product.  Is there a charge to update the first units?  I think mine is one of the first seven.
All the Naiant threads in the retail section have been purged, so I can't prove that I came up with the name, but I did. The initial price on the PIPsqueaks was higher than Jon's estimate, so I never picked one up.  :-[
Naiant X-X > SP-SPSB-1 > M10
Superlux S502 > Denecke PS-2 > Hosa MIT-435 > M10

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.079 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com