Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Eliminating camera shake  (Read 14218 times)

Offline xjsb125

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • An Our Lady Peace Fan Forum
Eliminating camera shake
« on: December 06, 2014, 12:19:42 PM »
I filmed a show this past week and had a beautiful, dead center, well lit static shot of the band and stage. Unfortunately there was so much shake from the vibration of the bass and drums that the majority of the video is junk. What can I use in the future to help tame the jumping? I'm using a Canon XH-A1 on a Manfrotto tripod with a 128RC fluid head. Thanks!
"I'm the one who's gonna have to die when it's time for me to die. So let me live my life, the way I want to."

Offline coloartist

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • MGoldey -"you can shove those mics up your ass
Re: Eliminating camera shake
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2014, 07:37:02 PM »
Thick neoprene under the tripod legs.
mk4>Kwon/din a/din>kc5>cmc6>kindkables XLR>788T
mk22>Kwon/NOS>kc5>cmc6>kindkablesXLR>788t                                                     
Canon XH-A1 Sony AX100                       
Samsung Backlit LED 55">Pioneer Elite SC-27>Snell Acoustics E.5  Series

Offline kubacheck

• Trade Count: (3)
    • My Flickr site
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2014, 07:47:18 PM »
out of curiosity, is there any good software out there that can rescue a video with the "kick drum shake" problem??

Offline beatkilla

• Trade Count: (70)
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2014, 11:24:26 PM »
I use memory foam under tripod legs and hang bag with some weight to it from center column,and if using monopod i rest it on top of my foot.

Offline if_then_else

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2014, 02:52:57 AM »
If you're repurposing a mic stand as a tripod (they're generally sturdier than video tripods), you could use some of these pads to decouple the tripod:
http://www.thomann.de/gb/the_takustik_mic_stand_pads.htm

Otherwise, you could add some counterweight to the center column as beatkilla already suggested. Or just use a "stone bag".

Another option might be to enlarge the feet of the tripod by using tripod snowshoes (http://www.manfrotto.com/tripod-snow-shoes) and to put some pieces of rug under these.

Offline guitard

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2014, 03:37:49 AM »
out of curiosity, is there any good software out there that can rescue a video with the "kick drum shake" problem??

I've tried several over the years and it seems like it works the way of the old expression, "For every action, there is a reaction."  In other words, you fix one thing, and another problem results.  There really doesn't seem to be a magic bullet for this kind of shake.  You can only make it look a little less bad ... which to me isn't acceptable.

Every few years, some new version comes out and makes all the standard claims that it's different than all the others and the guy who created it finally found the algorithm and process that does the trick.  I try it out ... and it's always the same result.

Of course, this kind of software requires a lot of tweaking and I've sat and tweaked for hours and never got anything that seemed like it made it worth the trouble. 

So I've all but given up on it. 
Mics: Schoeps MK41s & MK41Vs >:D
Pre-amps: BabyNbox & Platinum Nbox
Deck: Sony A10

Video: Canon HF G70 (4K), Sony FDR AX100 (4K), Pany ZS100 (4K)
Photo: Canon EOS 7D w/ Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L is III USM

A/V software: Sony Vegas Pro 18 (build 527) 64 bit / DVD Architect Pro 6.0 (build 237)

Offline 2manyrocks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2014, 02:51:09 PM »
Seems like there was a discussion on something similar a while back where mention was made about turning off the antivibration stuff inside the camera because the sound was affecting the antivibration device in the camera, not that the camera itself was actually being vibrated by whatever it was placed on.  The OP hasn't indicated if his camera was sitting on a concrete floor or sitting on something that was vibrating.   

Offline xjsb125

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2014, 10:24:25 AM »
Thanks for the advice everyone! The tripod was situated between the sound and light boards, which was a carpeted floor with what felt like a wood base under it. It was inside an old theater. I've had minor vibration issues in the past, but this was so significant that the video isn't enjoyable. I'm not worried about attempting to correct in post, but I want to be better prepared for future events. Again, thank you all for the good suggestions. If anyone has further advice, all is welcome.
"I'm the one who's gonna have to die when it's time for me to die. So let me live my life, the way I want to."

Offline techgui

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2014, 06:29:17 PM »

Well there is Deshaker, which is free.  Also Black magic Fusion software will track and stabilize and it's currently free.  I use Mocha Pro which is a planer tracker to stabilize, but not free.

Offline JayBTV

• Taperssection Newbie
    • Twitter
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2014, 10:01:15 AM »
Gunner Thalin's Deshaker is the best in my personal opinion (and yup it's free).....his was the first and he's still updating it when there's something to add.  I have tried most of the commercial ones (Mercalli for example) but none have impressed me enough to drop deshaker w/ vdub.

If you post a clip it'd be easier to tell if what you captured is salvageable......lots of setting w/ deshaker to get the results you want.  The problem w/ the bass kick vibration is distortion in the frames themselves/rolling shutter issues.  If the frames are clean (limited blurring/warping) you should be able to get it worked out pretty well.....
« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 10:08:53 AM by JayBTV »
@Copperpot5

Offline xjsb125

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2015, 02:01:13 AM »
Here's a 10 second clip from the show. It's pretty indicative of how much shake is present during the entire video. In the parts where there is no bass or drum it's very clean, but when the music gets going it's all to hell. Thanks again for all the suggestions.
http://youtu.be/dfzTbHMG7tk

Offline anr

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2015, 05:52:38 AM »
Here's something cheap, and perhaps a little nasty

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Rcmodelpart-Anti-vibration-Camera-Phantom-Walkera/dp/B00G4ZF31G

One good solution would a Self Tuned Vibration Absorber, but it is likely to be very expensive.

Offline 2manyrocks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2015, 10:20:32 AM »
The XH-A1 has Optical Image Stabilization which uses a built in gyroscope designed to allow the camera to automatically correct for perceived shaking when handheld.  What I suspect happened is the bass volume shook the gyroscopic sensor and caused the OIS system to overcompensate. 

Try turning it off when you have it on a tripod at a concert. 

Offline guitard

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2015, 07:26:53 PM »
I don't think Image Stabilization can really do anything to combat the kind of shake you get from a booming bass though.  It's just too 'violent' so to speak.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2015, 10:24:24 AM by guitard »
Mics: Schoeps MK41s & MK41Vs >:D
Pre-amps: BabyNbox & Platinum Nbox
Deck: Sony A10

Video: Canon HF G70 (4K), Sony FDR AX100 (4K), Pany ZS100 (4K)
Photo: Canon EOS 7D w/ Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L is III USM

A/V software: Sony Vegas Pro 18 (build 527) 64 bit / DVD Architect Pro 6.0 (build 237)

Offline shoestringconcerts

• Taperssection Regular
    • Shoestringconcerts
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2015, 02:41:42 AM »
Here's a 10 second clip from the show. It's pretty indicative of how much shake is present during the entire video. In the parts where there is no bass or drum it's very clean, but when the music gets going it's all to hell. Thanks again for all the suggestions.
http://youtu.be/dfzTbHMG7tk

nothing will save that,  turn off image stabilization next time, use pads and weights as other have suggested.  And if this problem happens a lot and what has been said doesn't fix the issue, time for a different camera

Tascam dr2d - Tascam Dr60
Video: Canon M50/M500 (5)
Panasonic LX7 (2) - Sony EOS-M (2)
Sony HC1 - Panasonic SD600 - Sanyo FH1
www.shoestringconcerts.com

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.075 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com