Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: aud mics + onstage mics  (Read 9735 times)

Offline deadheadcorey

• HOME TEAM Tapir
  • Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • think for yourself, question authority
    • My Recordings on the LMA
aud mics + onstage mics
« on: March 01, 2015, 03:49:17 PM »
has anyone done a matrix with aud mics and onstage mics?

thoughts? pros vs cons?

thinking of trying it tonight. mics onstage split about 12-15 feet A/B OMNIS. aud mics at soundboard 5' ROC XY CARDS
« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 04:02:30 PM by deadheadcorey »
mics: Audix M1245a-HC; AKG SE300B/CK91; Naiant X-O (hanging in the sweet spot @ Quixote's True Blue)
pres: Oade T+ UA-5; digimod UA-5
recs: R-09x3

iso: 2 ck93 caps
iso: pair of AT4041 mics

Official Archivist for Grant Farm

http://www.facebook.com/kindrecordingscolorado

Jerry Joseph rap during 'Conscious Contact'
"Life's pretty good. life's pretty good. it isn't all good.
I hate it when people tell me its all good. it's not all good.
it's not suppose to be all good. it's suppose to be bad sometimes so you can enjoy the good parts."

Offline tgakidis

• Trade Count: (552)
    • My Recordings on the Archive:
Re: aud mics + onstage mics
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2015, 04:13:00 PM »
All the time, ran that set up on Friday.  https://archive.org/details/otisgrove2015-02-27.elam260.m60.flac
GAKables: Custom XLR, Digi & Batt Cables http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=133186.0

Mics: Schoeps CMC6 x 4, Schoeps CMC1K x 2 / Schoeps KC 5G x 2 / Schoeps MK4,MK41,MK21,MK22 x 2 / Austrian Audio OC818 Dual Set+ / Telefunken TF-11 x 2 / Telefunken ELA M 260 x 4 / Telefunken M960FS x 2 / TK60,TK61,TK62 x 2 / Telefunken M60,TK60 x 2 / AKG c426b / AKG c34 / nBob AKG Actives>PFA x 4 / CK61,CK63,CK8 x 2 / AT853 4.7k Mod (Card,Sub)
Pres: Sonosax SX-AD8+ / Sonosax SX-M2D2 / Sonosax SX-M2 / Lunatec V3
Recs: Sonosax SX-R4+ / Sound Devices MixPre-6ii / Marantz PMD-661 / Roland R-07 / Zoom F3

My Recordings: https://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%28Gakidis%29&sort=-da

Offline Phil Zone

• Trade Count: (22)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2015, 04:56:21 PM »
Do you run the cables through the house snakes?
Microphones: AKG 460B, 480B, Naiant Actives,CK1,CK61,CK62,CK63, CK69, Busman BSC-1, CA-14
Preamps: Naiant Littlebox, Naiant Tinyhead
Recorders: Zoom F6, Tascam DR-05

LMA Shows: http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Cam%20Keough%22&sort=-date

Offline danlynch

• Trade Count: (16)
    • nyctaper
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2015, 05:05:53 PM »

I've done this in small clubs where the PA will be primarily vocals and the on-stage is the only way to get the instruments fully captured.
For a standard sized room when everything is going through the PA, you're going to end up with insufficient vocals in the final mix.

Founder and Host of NYCTaper:  http://www.nyctaper.com

Microphones:  Schoeps CCM4Us, Sennheiser MKH-8040s, Neumann KM-150s, Neumann TLM-102s, DPA 4061s
Recorders:  Sound Devices 744t, Edirol R-44 (Oade Concert Mod), Edirol R-05
Pre-Amps, D/A's:  Apogee Mini-Me

My Recordings on Archive.org: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/danlynch

Offline opsopcopolis

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2015, 07:43:26 PM »
Did it for a Snarky Puppy recording last year.  Came out beautifully.

Offline Cobiwan

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2015, 08:08:16 PM »
The only thing I can add is that you might have to add some time delay between the onstage and AUD mics to counter the time difference.
"Without music, life would be a mistake."
Friedrich Nietzsche

Mics:
2 matched pairs of Oktava MK-012 MSP6 with Bill Sitler mod + cardioid, hyper-cardioid, and omni capsules
Church Audio CA-14 omni/UBB
Sonic Studios DSM-6S
Recorders:
Tascam HD-P2, Tascam DR-680, Zoom F-8
Cables:
Gakables XLR, S/PDIF, battery and umbrella, DigiGal AES > S/PDIF, Darktrain hot swap battery

Member of DiGiHoArDeRs

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2015, 10:12:51 PM »
Do you run the cables through the house snakes?

Might be easiest.

time delay between the onstage and AUD mics
^^
Listen closely while playing with the file alignment to dial in the best tight fit.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline phil_er_up

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2015, 11:29:12 AM »
mics onstage split about 12-15 feet A/B OMNIS. aud mics at soundboard 5' ROC XY CARDS

If you think of the above scenario it is really the same as a SBD feed with a AUD mics in back of the venue. Just position of SBD feed and onstage Mics are different...more of a time difference and phase situation to get right in post exercise. 1 ft = 1 ms in post (nudge factor) play with it till you get it right. I do this all the time with my shows, if the mix's match well and you get it nudged very close to spot on...it can sound very good. Sometimes sources do not mix well for a variety of reasons...never know till you get home...

PS: You can take a tape measure with you to the venue and measure the distance. Have written down for various venues how far from stage to first rail, FOB and BOB distances for a general rule on where to start the nudge.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 10:52:55 AM by phil_er_up »
Everyday is a gift. Enjoy each one!
Forward motion bring positive results.

Offline 2manyrocks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2015, 11:44:46 AM »
Unless you monitor the mix on headphones while it's being recorded, the results when you get home can be unexpected.  The balance between instruments and vocals on stage is one thing, and then you have the sometimes odd mix coming out of a board.  Sometimes they are amping guitars and bass from the stage amps with vocals from the PA, and that can be a factor.  Things may sound fine in the room, but I think there is a certain risk in micing on the stage and getting a feed from the board.  It could be great or it could go wrong depending on the relative loudness of what is being captured among what's happening on stage (unless the sources are perfectly balanced on stage), what is being recorded on your mics and what is being recorded from the board.   I think you lessen your risk with a headphone or earbud check of what you're getting. 

The whole question of how to record something when a PA is involved I have not mastered by any means. 

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2015, 02:57:03 PM »
Personally I find no need to actually measure the distances since I'm going to play around with the file alignment until things sound right anyway.  Gives you a starting point I guess, but that's easy enough to find quickly afterwards without a measurement.

These are really three entirely different things: A SBD patch, an AUD pair in the back of the room, and either an on-stage or stage-lip pair.  On-stage/stage-lip+AUD isn't really a close analogy for stage-lip+SBD or for AUD+SBD.

Is the AUD pair in back analogous to the SBD feed?  Not many around here would argue that it is, they are obviously very different.  The AUD has all the room and audience in it and a far more distant perspective on the sound from the stage.  Yet in the case of on-stage+AUD, the AUD is what is going to provide the elements which are heard from the PA that are not picked up on-stage.  Vocals are the most obvious thing in that category, but also things like anything going direct to the board such as acoustic instruments, or other stuff only weakly amplified next to the musician, which relies heavily on the monitors and PA.  Unless you are getting that stuff from an on-stage monitor, it's probably represented very weakly in your on-stage channels.

Is the on-stage/stage-lip analogous to the SBD feed? Not usually, for the same reasons just mentioned.  And that's why on-stage/stage-lip + SBD is often a good way to go when you are restricted to 4 channels.  The only part not mic'd in that case is the room and audience, and you may get enough of that in your on-stage/stage-lip pair anyway and not care for more of it.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2015, 03:10:13 PM »
For that reason, if you can get a SBD feed, and are allowed to put microphones on the stage, I'd suggest eliminating the AUD pair back at the board.  Just use the on-stage/stage-lip + SBD.

Useful variations on that- (notice that none of these include an AUD pair back by the board)
1) Recording 4 channels: A pair for on-stage/stage-lip + a single mono channel of SBD (which is probably all or mostly mono anyway, why waste two channels recording it?) + a single room/audience-reaction channel (a cardioid or supercard facing away from the stage and into the audience from the stage or stage-lip)
2) Recording 5 channels: Same as 1, but with a stereo pair facing out at the room and audience (wide space the pair at the edges of the stage pointing out into the room, or arrange them some other way to reduce pickup of both the PA and the sound coming from the stage as much as possible.
3) Recording 6 channels: Pair on-stage/stage-lip, pair for the SBD, pair facing out at the audience and room.

All these have your mics located in the same part of the room (on-stage/stage-lip), making things more easily manageable.  They also place all your mics in relative close proximity to the house-mics feeding the PA, so you'll have less aligning to do, and might be able to get away without having to do any.  Although I'd still slide the files around while listening to check if you can get it tighter.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 03:13:06 PM by Gutbucket »

Offline phil_er_up

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2015, 06:53:33 AM »
Corey asked about on stage mics and mics in the back of the room NO SBD feed. SBD feed was in my discussion ONLY.

Last 3 posts took what I said incorrectly...did not state what I wanted to say very well...since this went off topic from corey post will try and bring it back...

==============================================================================

Back to corey topic.... mics onstage split about 12-15 feet A/B OMNIS. aud mics at soundboard 5' ROC XY CARDS - NO SBD feed.

thoughts? pros vs cons?

« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 10:58:52 AM by phil_er_up »
Everyday is a gift. Enjoy each one!
Forward motion bring positive results.

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2015, 10:57:26 AM »
Right, I was only commenting on the big problem I saw with the comment about it "being the same as a SBD feed", and then addressing the issue of when a SBD feed involved in a general sense.  No offence intended toward you.

In Corey's case of onstage omnis split ~12-15 feet + cardioids 5' ROC at the soundboard in X/Y (and no SBD feed), I'd much prefer to run the cards in a PAS config if they are towards at the back of the room, or maybe a near-spaced config with a slightly wider but still narrow angle between mics (like DIN rather than ORTF).   X/Y will work, but would probably be my last choice of mic config from back there.

Offline danlynch

• nyctaper
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2015, 11:05:20 AM »

The vocals will be buried in the final mix. 
Founder and Host of NYCTaper:  http://www.nyctaper.com

Microphones:  Schoeps CCM4Us, Sennheiser MKH-8040s, Neumann KM-150s, Neumann TLM-102s, DPA 4061s
Recorders:  Sound Devices 744t, Edirol R-44 (Oade Concert Mod), Edirol R-05
Pre-Amps, D/A's:  Apogee Mini-Me

My Recordings on Archive.org: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/danlynch

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2015, 12:55:38 PM »
^^
PAS ..and use less of the on-stage omnis in the mix if that's the case. 

The onstage omnis will still be useful over just a PAS AUD from the back of the room on it's own, IMO.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.186 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com