Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Will DPA 4061's Into SP-Preamp Work Ok?  (Read 2420 times)

Offline ChicagoBlues

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Will DPA 4061's Into SP-Preamp Work Ok?
« on: April 02, 2015, 11:31:38 AM »
I was thinking of trying my DPA 4061's with my SP-Preamp.

Will it work ok? Any chance it might damage the 4061's?

Thanks

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
Re: Will DPA 4061's Into SP-Preamp Work Ok?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2015, 12:00:01 PM »
Should work fine as long as the mic power voltage out of the preamp is somewhere between 5 to 10 volts.  No more than that.  9V is the safe max.  You can check with a multimeter set to read DC voltage.  If the preamp has a minijack input, plug in a stereo male to stereo male mini cable and measure voltage between tip and sleeve (left channel) or ring and sleeve (right channel).
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline ChicagoBlues

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2015, 01:24:38 PM »
I finally got thru to DPA. He said that the 4061'a will work with voltage from 5-15 volts.

The preamp should work just fine

Thanks

Offline hi and lo

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2015, 01:35:19 PM »
I finally got thru to DPA. He said that the 4061'a will work with voltage from 5-15 volts.

The preamp should work just fine

Thanks

I think you just got some very suspect, possibly outright bad advice. I have never heard of anyone safely powering DPA 406x microphones with more than 10v and there is plenty of historical conversation indicating that as little as 12v can damage these microphones.

DPA has been inconsistent in the past with their published specifications and information provided to inquires. Quite frankly, I don't think they have their shit together when it comes to these kinds of questions.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 01:51:53 PM by hi and lo »

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2015, 04:50:27 PM »
^^ but the preamp should work just fine; I believe it's a 9V preamp.
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2015, 05:20:12 PM »
I thinks so too, but best to check first just to be safe!
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.056 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com