Gear / Technical Help > Playback Forum

An $11 Stereo Amplifier - New!

(1/9) > >>

mfrench:
Yeah, right.

No, really!

check it out

I also bought an inexpensive 12vdc regulated power supply from eBay, for $25.  I'll have to get some hookup wire, and, speaker/rca jacks.  In total, under a hundred dollars.
Right now, I'm listening to it in skeletal form, with an old pair of ADS L10 bookshelf speakers, and, it can drive them to too loud. And its sounding quite good in its skeletal form.
I'm going to mount it in a cigar box.
I might even gush about it a bit later.
There are also $50 tube preamps available as a front end. Little Bear Tube Pre

We're into a new era of amplification, it seems.  I'm having fun with it.

Gutbucket:
Nice TI class D amp chip.

Small and efficient. Heavy iron is so outdated.

mfrench:
Its suggested rating of 100w, might be possible, with something like a 105dB efficient k-horn_type speaker, or hyper efficient single driver system.
With a lower efficiency rig, like the ADS, it is just barely reaching too loud; truly at the bottom of the too loud threshold; some people  might desire more.
It would make a nice desktop office system with less efficient speakers, and near field listening.
Bottomline, disregard their statement of 100w. It is truly speaker dependent. I first tried a pair of Realistic Minims-7's bookshelves, which are rather inefficient. I was not impressed.

mfrench:
I did try a 24vdc 10amp linear supply on it (industrial, butt-ugly beast). Not that grand of a diff.
The linked Pyramid supply outputs at 14vdc

thanks, Jon!

mfrench:
This is my 24v beast (see below)

thats a Lenco turntable motor, for scale (originally posted at a Lenco TT forum; they'd understand the scale)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version