Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Naiant IPA  (Read 24407 times)

Offline ~Jon Stoppable

• Trade Count: (47)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Naiant Studio
Re: Naiant IPA
« Reply #75 on: July 28, 2016, 12:20:53 PM »
Due to the A23 battery, the IPA has maximum voltage supply to the mics of 8V (FET supply; the polarization voltage can be 60V), so the 16V nbox format won't work.  Also, an IPA only has a single-ended input, so one IPA can't support all microphone combinations that a tinybox could (that is, only one pair of input pins will be active with an IPA), and one IPA can only have a balanced input in mono and then only to a balanced-input recorder via the XLR output.

edit:  PS:  I've been sketching a digital version of the IPA that would have both analog & digital outputs in AES3/SPDIF format (optical as an option) and would run on 5V-10V digital or 12V-48V analog phantom power (analog output only) or 5V external.  This would have 110dBA dynamic range and options for preemphasis or dither for 16-bit compatibility (should be about 100dBA in 16-bit mode), and the ability to sync units via aux SPDIF input.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2016, 12:40:47 PM by ~Jon Stoppable »

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #76 on: July 29, 2016, 10:31:59 PM »
  PS:  I've been sketching a digital version of the IPA that would have both analog & digital outputs in AES3/SPDIF format (optical as an option) and would run on 5V-10V digital or 12V-48V analog phantom power (analog output only) or 5V external.  This would have 110dBA dynamic range and options for preemphasis or dither for 16-bit compatibility (should be about 100dBA in 16-bit mode), and the ability to sync units via aux SPDIF input.
so as someone who is always an idiot when it comes to understanding this stuff, if you are saying this version could support 48v mics, then I think it's a great idea.
The best part of a __box was the option to support multi formats. For example my tb does 48v/pip/actives and I love that so if the new IPA supported that too I would be super happy
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline ~Jon Stoppable

• Taperssection All-Star
    • Naiant Studio
« Reply #77 on: July 29, 2016, 10:49:18 PM »
  PS:  I've been sketching a digital version of the IPA that would have both analog & digital outputs in AES3/SPDIF format (optical as an option) and would run on 5V-10V digital or 12V-48V analog phantom power (analog output only) or 5V external.  This would have 110dBA dynamic range and options for preemphasis or dither for 16-bit compatibility (should be about 100dBA in 16-bit mode), and the ability to sync units via aux SPDIF input.
so as someone who is always an idiot when it comes to understanding this stuff, if you are saying this version could support 48v mics, then I think it's a great idea.
The best part of a __box was the option to support multi formats. For example my tb does 48v/pip/actives and I love that so if the new IPA supported that too I would be super happy

No the IPA is a P48 device, it doesn't support P48 devices.  You should think of it as a microphone body that has a few added features.

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #78 on: July 30, 2016, 04:45:36 PM »

No the IPA is a P48 device, it doesn't support P48 devices.  You should think of it as a microphone body that has a few added features.
ahhh thanks, as a mic body that makes sense to me now
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline WiFiJeff

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #79 on: August 08, 2016, 12:12:25 AM »
Just received my IPA configured for Schoeps KXY cable, really neat little piece of gear.  Has anyone compared its performance to the Schoeps VST 62 IUg (discontinued, was an order of magnitude more expensive)??  Subjective opinions also welcome.  Just very curious...

Jeff

Offline rippleish20

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #80 on: August 08, 2016, 02:08:32 PM »
Just received my IPA configured for Schoeps KXY cable, really neat little piece of gear.  Has anyone compared its performance to the Schoeps VST 62 IUg (discontinued, was an order of magnitude more expensive)??  Subjective opinions also welcome.  Just very curious...

Jeff

How long from ordering did it take to ship?
MK22's / MK41's / MK41v's / MK4v's / MK4's / AKG C480Bs+ck61, ck63 / Telefunken FET M60 Cards and Hypers / AT853s
KCY 250/5 and Nbob KCY (x2) > naiant PFA or IPA or Nbox  / SP-SPSB-11 Battery Box
Zoom F8 / Sony M-10 / Mixpre-6 / Tascam DR-100mkIII

Offline WiFiJeff

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #81 on: August 08, 2016, 02:27:57 PM »

How long from ordering did it take to ship?

Roughly a month.

Jeff

Offline MakersMarc

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Two things I hate havin to cook and tryin' to date
« Reply #82 on: August 31, 2016, 07:43:02 PM »
Just got mine, I'm pretty fired up, it's so damn tiny. Really glad I got the recessed gain pot. A23 batteries 3.99 a two pack at Home Depot, anyone do better? First show most likely Earle Colvin this Sunday.  :headphones:
Mk4v/41v>Nbob kcy x2>nbox platinum/Naiant PFA/Naiant IPA>Oade warm mod Marantz 661 x2/Sony pcm m10x3

Offline noahbickart

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (25)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Nobody's finished, we ain't even begun
« Reply #83 on: August 31, 2016, 10:05:26 PM »
Mine just came too. I got the spindle, which I still have to figure out.

I'm thinking mk4v> nbob KCY> Naiant IPA> m10 will be small and easy and run forever.
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v, mk4v, mk22, mk3 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, Darktrain 2 and 4 channel KCY extensions:
Preamps:    Naiant Littlebox, Naiant IPA, Naiant PFA, Sound Devices Mixpre6
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6, Sony PCM m10
Home Playback: Mytek Stereo96> Adcom SLC 505> Marantz Ma500 (x2)> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-400
Office Playback: Grace m903> AKG k701

Offline gormenghast

• Trade Count: (34)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #84 on: August 31, 2016, 11:57:24 PM »

I'm thinking mk41v> Schoeps KCY> Naiant IPA> m10 will be small and easy and run forever.

>:D
Schoeps MK4/41/41v @ 70°>R05

Offline rippleish20

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #85 on: September 01, 2016, 09:34:30 AM »

I'm thinking mk4v> nbob KCY> Naiant IPA> m10 will be small and easy and run forever.

Mine came 10 days ago. I'm thinking the same thing

mk4 > schoeps KCY> Naiant IPA> m10

MK22's / MK41's / MK41v's / MK4v's / MK4's / AKG C480Bs+ck61, ck63 / Telefunken FET M60 Cards and Hypers / AT853s
KCY 250/5 and Nbob KCY (x2) > naiant PFA or IPA or Nbox  / SP-SPSB-11 Battery Box
Zoom F8 / Sony M-10 / Mixpre-6 / Tascam DR-100mkIII

Offline F.O.Bean

• Is a 4 channel slut and
  • Trade Count: (121)
  • Taperus Maximus
« Reply #86 on: September 02, 2016, 01:01:29 AM »
Definitely a cool and TINY device :) An mkxx->KCY->IPA->M10 would be tiny and killer sounding, I bet :) Cant wait to hear some stuff from these starting to circulate :) I love that Jon can do the 60v Polarization for the Schoeps caps with these tiny lil IPA's as well!
Schoeps MK4's | MK41's ->
Schoeps | NBob 250/05 KCY's ->
Schoeps VMS 02IB | Naiant +60v/Low Noise PFA's ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby | GakCable XLR's ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 | Tascam DR-70D ->
128gb | 64gb SanDisk Extreme Pro SDXC-I

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean | http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420 | http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (9)
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #87 on: September 02, 2016, 02:23:16 AM »
So...for the Beyer CK930's would I be able to replace my mic bodies with these things? ...or would they go between the bodies and the recorder?

I'd be pretty happy to get rid of those bodies. CK930 caps > IPA > M10 would be pretty nice.
-24      -12              -6             0       OVER
||||||||||||||||||||||||||| []  
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||| []

||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 ~ Nevaton MCE400 ~ Countryman B3 |||
||| CABLES: Kind Kables |||
||| PREAMPS: Naiant Tinybox | Naiant Littlebox | Naiant IPA | Church BB |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | Sony M10 |||
||| PLAYBACK: Outlaw Audio RR2150 > Epos ELS8 |||
||| PHOTO: Sony a6000 | Sony 16-50 | Sony 55-210 | Rokinon 14mm | Rokinon 8mm |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube Channel || Tumblr Concert Blog|||

Offline ~Jon Stoppable

• Taperssection All-Star
    • Naiant Studio
« Reply #88 on: September 02, 2016, 12:02:41 PM »
Yes.  You'd want to have some sort of adaptor cable to run two capsules into one IPA; I'd recommend the tinybox TB6M input format.

The IPA won't help with the 658 (handicap) series I dropped on your elders last night though  ;D

Offline Sebastian

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #89 on: September 02, 2016, 05:33:04 PM »
Definitely a cool and TINY device :) An mkxx->KCY->IPA->M10 would be tiny and killer sounding, I bet :) Cant wait to hear some stuff from these starting to circulate :)

If you don't mind a little Krautrock, here's something I recorded last night:
http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?id=570428&hit=1
{Schoeps MK4 > NBob actives | MBHO KA 200 N} > {Naiant Tinybox v2.0 | Naiant IPA | Naiant PFAs} > {Zoom F8 | Sony PCM-M10 | Tascam DR-2d}

Recordings:
Live Music Archive | DaD Torrents | TTD Torrents | Etree Torrents

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.249 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2017 Taperssection.com