Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Church Audio CA-11 vs CA-14?  (Read 7209 times)

Offline DancyGeorgia

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Church Audio CA-11 vs CA-14?
« on: March 25, 2016, 02:30:59 AM »
What is the difference between the Church Audio CA-11 vs. CA-14 Omni mics and the CA-11 vs. CA-14 Cardioid mics? I understand the difference between Omni and Cardioid mics, but want to know the difference between the two CA-11 vs. CA-14 models of each type of mic and what situation each is best used in.

Thanks!

Offline down2earthlandscaper

• Gear Collector (Slut/Hoarder) and Multiple-Rig Maniac
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Church Audio CA-11 vs CA-14?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2016, 03:19:41 AM »
The CA-14's have a non-removable foam windscreen, so they are larger than the CA-11's. The other difference is that the CA11 have interchangeable capsules - with the CA14's you have to buy a separate set of mics if you want cardioid and omni
Sonically, I'm not sure how much they differ. I have both, and I just use the CA14's more often, but not necessarily because they sound any better. My 14's have the alligator clips and my 11's do not. So that's probably why the 14's see more use - easier to mount. I'm sure you can order either set with or without the alligator clips.
I will have to do a shoot-out comp between the two at an upcoming show...
Mics: CA-14(cards & omnis) and CA-11(cards & omnis) ; AT853's(cards, hypers, mini shotguns); Busman BSC-1 (cards, hypers, omnis)
Nakamichi CM300's (CP-1,2,3,4) Nakamichi CM700's (cards, omnis)
Tascam PE-120's (cards, omnis) Countryman B2D
DPA 4061's DPA 4022's; DPA 4080; AKG 480 ck61 and ck63; Naiant AKG Active Cables
Preamps: CA-9100; Naiant Tinybox (12v/48v + PIP 8V); Naiant Littlebox;
DPA MPS6030; Sound Device Mix Pre-D
Decks: Mixpre 10T and 6; Roland R-07; Marantz PMD620; Sony PCM M10; Edirol R-4; Zoom H6; Marantz PMD-661; Sound Devices 722

Offline tomy01

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2016, 07:24:43 AM »
Good topic for someone ready to buy either the CA-11's or CA-14's.  Another questions is what would be better the "OMINI" or "CARDOID" for a typical loud concert 5-15 rows back center section.  Concerts like the Rolling Stone, The WHO, Guns and Roses.  A mix of indoor  and outdoor venues?  Also which one would be easier to "stealth" into a concert and attached to one's body?

Thanks for any feedback?

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • goes to 11
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2016, 07:49:06 AM »
Every possible question related to Church mics and what to do with them or when to use which one from what location has been discussed a million times here. To be honest I'm sick of this same question being asked over and over.

Do a search and/or do a little reading. The guy who makes them is a member here. Ask him directly.
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2016, 08:32:41 AM »
^ To be fair, the search function doesn't work that well. Wasn't it broken for a while.

As for the question.

1. Omni's are better if you are close. Also Omni's will allow you to move around a bit more without hearing it in the recording.
2. Card's are better if you're far away.

Row 5-15 is close. 5 might even be a little too close depending on the venue. 15 is usually pretty good.

And as goodcooker said...all this info is here. Get to reading.
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline magmazing

• Taperssection Regular
    • Magmazing Music
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2016, 03:18:32 AM »
I prefer cards over omni in all situations simply because I want to cut out as much noise of the audience directly around me as I can.
I shoot concert video and post my footage to YouTube
http://www.youtube.com/magmazing
http://www.youtube.com/victoriabcmusicscene

My Current Equipment:
Canon HF S100 Camcorder
Canon 70D dSLR
Panasonic ZS100 digital camera
Sony HX10V Digital Camera
Edirol R-09HR Digital Audio Recorder
Church Audio CA-11 microphones

Offline fmaderjr

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2016, 04:40:10 AM »
^ To be fair, the search function doesn't work that well. Wasn't it broken for a while.

I've always found the search function to be very disappointing.
I have much more successes searching the site with Google:
In Google type " site:taperssection.com" followed by a space and then your search queries.
Entering "site:taperssection.com ca-11 and ca-14" into google turns up a lot of useful info.
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

Offline SoundHolic

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2016, 12:56:46 AM »
AKG CK61s > Nbob Actives > Naiant IPA > Sony A10
Countryman B3s > Sony A10

Offline jimbona

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2016, 07:41:30 PM »
I'm very new here; I second the use of google site search over the forum's native search. In my experience, TS search will often hang, seemingly indefinitely.

Having said that, the results of google site search are littered with aborted non-threads telling OP to "use search function" on any number of routinely discussed topics.

Certainly not a phenomenon unique to TS, but surely there must be a more productive way.

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2016, 10:12:37 AM »
What's the difference?

Ca11 are smaller about 12mm od they don't have quite the high frequency response or low frequency response of the ca14 but they are a nice small mic for stealth and now come with removable clips as an option. And croakie mount as an option.

Ca14 are larger 14.5 mm od but have better high frequency response and low frequency response. But the size is a compromise.

I'm working on a non windscreen version of the ca14 but that's in the future. I'm still very busy with orders and don't have the time to sit down the a machine shop and get it done. When they do get done they will be powder coated and look quite nice.
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.061 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com