Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Bowers & Wilkins sold to small silicon valley startup  (Read 3610 times)

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
Bowers & Wilkins sold to small silicon valley startup
« on: May 03, 2016, 12:11:37 PM »
Bowers & Wilkins has been bought by Eva Automation, run by Gideon Yu, a former Facebook Inc. chief financial officer, ex-venture capitalist, and current co-owner of the San Francisco 49ers-

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-05-03/speaker-maker-bowers-wilkins-sells-out-to-a-tiny-silicon-valley-startup

musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
Re: Bowers & Wilkins sold to small silicon valley startup
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2016, 05:30:20 PM »
Wow.  One of the most respected and long-standing audio companies sells out to a start-up that no one even knows what they do.  This doesn't sound like it will end well...
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline thunderbolt

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Music est vita!
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2016, 05:55:04 PM »
I agree.  B&W has always been a cost-no-object company.  Their R&D, flagship speakers, and their trickle-down descendants are what make the company great.  All I can assume is that they'll look for a way to cut costs.

Offline rocksuitcase

• Trade Count: (4)
    • RockSuitcase: stage photography
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2016, 05:55:22 PM »
Wow.  One of the most respected and long-standing audio companies sells out to a start-up that no one even knows what they do.  This doesn't sound like it will end well...
After reading the article, and knowing a bit about having one's patents bought out, it will either be so bad for the speaker company and its' employees OR so good that some type of new integration for high end sound reproduction comes out of it. (the betting person in me goes with bad)
music IS love

When you get confused, listen to the music play!

Mics:         AKG460|CK61|CK1|CK3|CK8|Beyer M 201E|DPA 4060 SK
Recorders:Marantz PMD661 OADE Concert mod; Tascam DR680 MKI x2; Sony PCM-M10

Offline jlykos

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Don't sweat the technique
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2016, 04:20:51 PM »
I don't know. B&W has been on the trajectory of becoming a "lifestyle" company for some time now. This will probably accelerate that transition. I would not be surprised at all if the speakers will be another piece in a trend toward software-based integrated home systems, where you can control the temperature, security system, audio system, and refrigerator from your cell phone. The "smart home" just received a pair of ears and a voice.

I had a pair of CDM 1SE speakers for almost 20 years and thought that they were fantastic. I recently auditioned some 805 Diamond speakers and thought that they were the worst things that I had ever heard in my life. Others seem to like them a lot. Who knows what will happen with the quality. Look at the demographics. Stereophile did a recent poll and found that their subscriber base has an average age 12 years higher than it did 20 years ago. Older people are purchasing the flagship Nautilus and 80x series. The younger generations are into headphones, soundbars, and Bluetooth systems. Perhaps B&W saw the writing on the wall and wanted to cash in on their brand equity while it still had some value and before their customer base didn't die off first.
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

Offline rocksuitcase

• Trade Count: (4)
    • RockSuitcase: stage photography
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2016, 04:43:21 PM »
That all makes some sense to my marketing mind jlykos. As I said, the buy out will either be good, for reasons like you mention, or bad for basic economic issues such as reducing employees etc. I'm hoping you are right and I am wrong here.  :)
music IS love

When you get confused, listen to the music play!

Mics:         AKG460|CK61|CK1|CK3|CK8|Beyer M 201E|DPA 4060 SK
Recorders:Marantz PMD661 OADE Concert mod; Tascam DR680 MKI x2; Sony PCM-M10

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2016, 04:59:28 PM »
I think that's as astute assessment.

I currently use 20 year old B&W speakers and an have been quite pleased with them.  These were all bought second hand about 8 years ago, and are from the latter end of the "performance valued highest, appearance more of an afterthought" era, just prior to the Nautilus redesign which marked and increased emphasis on appearance.  To me that's a sweet spot value-wise and I use them for both 2-channel and multicahnnel music playback.  With numerous speakers placed around the room, good cost/performance is important.

I have two pair of 802 Matrix S3 from the mid-90's, and use three of those across the front.  The 'extra one from the second pair' is used as the center back speaker for occasional 6-channel playback. I'd love to find a third pair locally at a good price in order to have 6 matching speakers all the way around, especially for really dialing in the system and room for mastering my surround recordings correctly, but for now the surround L and R channels are mult'ed on each side to a pair of Klipsh bookshelves to the sides and a pair of B&W surround speakers a bit further back, and that does the job sufficiently.

I should stock up on a few extra 802MS3 drivers before they become scarce.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2016, 01:54:56 PM »
I feel like I've listened to those "fashion" headphones depicted in the article, and they sounded horrible. Certainly, the design gives me little confidence.

Have never owned their speakers but am aware of the reputation...

Truly high-end audio stuff is at an ebb right now, especially in the middle-market. For most people, even fairly wealthy people, a single Sonos Play:5 is "great" (let alone a stereo pair, which I'd personally call "vaguely decent"). Headphones are the growth area -- I bet Audeze is selling a decent amount of those lightning-connector iPhone headphones -- and as noted, soundbars and other stuff are another growth area. (I'm admittedly curious about this contraption: http://phantom.devialet.com/phantom/en/v3/?gclid=CjwKEAjw3qu5BRC-0uCw8O6Y5zcSJAA_WtdLnGqbeaFPwFVDgAhC6JX3Kyo4KO4g4wesjjNu09vfgRoCU0_w_wcB)

Even in the vinyl market, what's marketed as a "really good" system to the younger demo is mostly technology-driven rather than quality-driven (to wit: http://pitchfork.com/features/article/9871-how-to-buy-the-best-turntable-and-stereo-system-for-your-record-collection/)
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2016, 06:18:47 PM »
Devialet products look to be serious high end gear.  Check out the other things they make.  Everything I've read about the Phantom makes we want a pair of them in every room; they are way beyond Sonos level (and priced accordingly).
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2016, 08:30:04 AM »
Devialet products look to be serious high end gear.  Check out the other things they make.  Everything I've read about the Phantom makes we want a pair of them in every room; they are way beyond Sonos level (and priced accordingly).

I have heard the devialet speakers at a local audio shop nd they do sound pretty incredible given their size.  But for that price point, I will stick with the 5 sonos speakers I have throughout the house for casual/party listening, and revert to my 2 channel playback when I really want to be enveloped n the music....

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.103 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com