Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Ways of connecting DPA 4060 to PCM-M10?  (Read 2679 times)

Offline RobS

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Ways of connecting DPA 4060 to PCM-M10?
« on: September 17, 2016, 12:56:51 PM »
If anyone uses DPA 4060s and a PCM-M10, any chance of posting how you connect them? (Am especially looking for the lightest and simplest way).

Thanks.

ilduclo

Re: Ways of connecting DPA 4060 to PCM-M10?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2016, 01:15:55 PM »
it's all in how the mics are terminated. I have a set of 4061's that are terminated to one 1/8" stereo mini plug.  I go mics to battery box to recorder. If you have the dpa's with the microdot connectors, there are adaptors or preamps you can use.

Offline RobS

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2016, 01:22:08 AM »
If terminated with microdots, any recommendations on adapter and battery module or preamp?

ilduclo

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2016, 10:26:10 AM »
1)cut the microdots off
2) discard.
3)terminate both mics in a stereo mini plug.

4) profit!

Offline RobS

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2016, 04:48:17 AM »
I was thinking of this way instead. Use DAD6017 Microdot to mini XLR adapters, plugged into a t.bone L Pack (Thomann own brand battery module). Out via XLR to stereo mini jack in the PCM-M10. Seems like a neat solution. What do you reckon?

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2016, 09:10:23 AM »
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2016, 10:52:36 AM »
DPA used to make several battery boxes (MPS6030 was the one with the 1/8" out) and a pre-amp (MMA6000) with microdot connectors.  I think they are out of production, but maybe some are available as new-old stock or on the used market.  Otherwise, I would go for that Y-cable linked by Gutbucket.

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2016, 11:13:32 AM »
I know the MMA6000 is out of production, not sure about the DPA battery boxes.  I've seen a number of Church Audio preamps and battery boxes built with micro-dot inputs, so those are out there too. 

While I like microdot for in-line connections, I don't like microdot as a panel mount style input connector on a preamp, batt-box, or XLR adapter because it sticks out rigidly making it overly vulnerable to damage -which is another reason why I find using a short flexible microdot adapter Y-cable preferable.

I'm no particular fan of TRS mini-jacks and plugs either, although I have to accommodate them as they are the standard input format for small recorders.  I much prefer locking mini-XLRs and have converted my preamps and in-line connections to that werever possible.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

ilduclo

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2016, 12:06:10 PM »
before Church items are considered for purchase, I recommend research of his customer service record. :zombie01:

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2016, 12:48:31 PM »
Yes of course.  Certainly if considering buying new.  I suggested the above mostly to mention that that solution exists, and that those devices sometimes pop up in the yard sale.

Super happy with the various 'Y's and extension cables I've made myself using the CDINT cables mentioned in the other thread I linked above.  I'd not hesitate to go that route unless the mics were already terminated with some other connector which needed to be chopped to be changed, such as "Broadway mics" terminated with Binder connectors for use with wireless systems.  I used to say "chop and re-terminate" as a matter of course, but this new method is easier and more reliable if the dots are intact.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.076 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com