Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Audacity exporting as .aiff instead of .wav  (Read 4132 times)

Offline Jeremy Lykins

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
Audacity exporting as .aiff instead of .wav
« on: October 05, 2016, 10:01:38 AM »
I taped a show last night and for some reason when I try to export it from Audacity after applying amplification something's going wrong, and even though it says "exporting as wav" or something like that I still end up with an .aiff file.  Part of the problem is that I'm using a new laptop (Windows 7) and Audacity is a slightly different version than the one on my desktop (which crashed a couple weeks ago) and I think that the issue might be during export.  Since it's a 24/48 file I would choose "other uncompressed files" and I don't quite remember what I would choose on my desktop computer, but for my laptop the choices are different and I think that I may be choosing the wrong one, but it's the only one that fits what I want to do.  I'm clicking on "Signed Microsoft .wav" and "24 bit PCM" but it's still giving me an .aiff file.  Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong?  I've got an eight hour drive to get home today and this'll be bothering me the whole time, so I thank you for any help that you can give me.

Offline dyneq

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Member

Offline Jeremy Lykins

• Taperssection Member
Re: Audacity exporting as .aiff instead of .wav
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2016, 09:57:28 PM »
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=176457

Thanks!  It's a relief to know that it's not just me doing something wrong.  My old hard drive is still good (the CPU fan went bad and the power supply fan went bad) so I've got an external enclosure to put it in and I can copy the old version of Audacity from that to my new (refurbished) desktop computer.

Offline Jeremy Lykins

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2016, 10:23:54 PM »
Workaround: Add a period and the correct extension for the format (or on Mac OS X, change the supplied extension). Be sure to add the correct extension, because Audacity may not warn if an inappropriate extension is added.

Just to clarify, that's saying to just right-click on the .aiff and then add ".wav" at the end?  Because I tried that and when I tried to find it with r8brain it didn't show up and it also still says that it's an .aiff when you right-click and choose Properties.  But maybe this is a signal that I should change my workflow?  I use r8brain to convert from 24/48 to 16/44.1 because of the "a steak knife is better than a Swiss Army knife when you're cutting your food" theory, but maybe I should just use Audacity to dither/resample my recordings?

Offline dyneq

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2016, 08:17:16 AM »
(Quoting myself rom the other thread)

To avoid this bug entirely, select WAV instead of 'other uncompressed files'. Why is that option there anyway if all of the uncompressed formats are available as other choices?

Hope that allows the converter to see the file. You can compare some SRC's here and decide for yourself if it's worth using a separate program:

http://src.infinitewave.ca/

Offline Jeremy Lykins

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2016, 09:01:06 PM »
(Quoting myself rom the other thread)

To avoid this bug entirely, select WAV instead of 'other uncompressed files'. Why is that option there anyway if all of the uncompressed formats are available as other choices?

The only problem with that is that for WAV the only choices are "signed 16 bit PCM" and "32 bit float PCM" and I don't want either of those.  If there was a 24 bit option I would choose that.  But if I choose 16 bit PCM will that resample and dither it, or will I be left with a 16/48 file? 

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2016, 04:17:04 AM »
Audacity 2.1.0?

I select Other Uncompressed and Microsoft WAV / 24-bit Signed and it works fine.

(yeah, there's no simple default setting to output 24-bit, I guess the Audacity team still thinks that we are a bunch of freaks, with our specialized recording gear...  :tomato: )

« Last Edit: October 07, 2016, 04:20:46 AM by morst »
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline Jeremy Lykins

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2016, 11:14:33 AM »
Audacity 2.1.0?

I'm not sure what version it was but I couldn't find 24 bit, and another weird thing was that it wouldn't install on my laptop and I had to go to my Downloads folder and go into the Audacity folder to click on the link to open the program.  But I took my hard drive out of my old desktop and now I'm using Audacity version 1.3 and everything's back to normal for me.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.267 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com