Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: No input being recorded - Battery Box or Edirol R09 problem?  (Read 3233 times)

Offline AndyLGR

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Newbie
No input being recorded - Battery Box or Edirol R09 problem?
« on: November 07, 2016, 03:53:34 AM »
My rig is:

Sound professionals SP-CMC-4U cards > Sound professionals SP-SPSB-11 > Edirol R09

I've started to have an intermittent fault on one channel where it wouldn't record. Then last night whilst recording a show the opposite  channel packed in and so the recorder was taping nothing.

So I disconnected the mics and battery box and thought I'd just plug the mic in direct, again nothing, but I assume its because it had no battery box connected. So I ended up just using the Edirols internal mics.

How do I determine if this is an issue with the battery box or the connections in to the Edirol?

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: No input being recorded - Battery Box or Edirol R09 problem?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2016, 05:54:30 AM »
I would try the mics with the Edirol plug-in power turned on and see if you get a signal.  If you do, I would try replacing the battery in the battery box.  If not, try plugging the mics into your computer or other device with a mic input and see if you get a signal there.  Also, check the cables...

ilduclo

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2016, 09:24:09 AM »
The r9 is notorious for input jack failures, I'm gonna guess this is it. If you have another recorder, try the mics & b box on it, even mic in to a computer. If nothing like that is available, many sound shops will be glad to test that for you for free, especially if you're planning to buy a new recorder
« Last Edit: November 07, 2016, 09:26:41 AM by ilduclo »

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
  • Don't ask, don't tell, don't get get caught
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2016, 10:47:58 AM »
I know this isn't your problem, but I lent my backup rig out for 2nd day of Desert Trip.  MK41's RBox and he had an M10.  Told me it didn't work.  Turns out he didn't turn it on.

ilduclo

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2016, 11:20:05 AM »
and, your r9 will likely perform with the internal mics for a long time, if cash is an issue. They do "OK" in my opinion for recording, decent, but nothing special. M10 sony appears to be the preferred replacement around these parts. Sorry for your problems!

oh, I looked and found the thread with the input jack problems for the r9, it's here

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=71160.0
« Last Edit: November 07, 2016, 11:24:52 AM by ilduclo »

Offline AndyLGR

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2016, 03:18:32 AM »
I've had the R-09 for 8 years now, its the first I've heard of input problems for them, but up until now mines been fine.

I switched the plug in power on for the R-09 and then plugged the mic in to the line in and then the mic input sockets. Neither recorded anything, other than getting a spike on both channels when I input the mic jack in to the socket.  I don't have another recorder to try the mics or battery box in unfortunately, so I may have to take the recorder somewhere to get it tested.

If it is the recorder thats gone, I had a quick look around for suitable replacements and it looks like both the Sony PCM-M10 and Edirol (Roland) R-09HR have been discontinued.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2016, 03:47:57 AM by AndyLGR »

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2016, 05:57:15 AM »
Sorry if I missed this somewhere, but the initial issues were with the line input?

Offline AndyLGR

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2016, 06:26:14 AM »
I was just trying all inputs when I switched the plug in power on. But I have always used the line in to record shows, connecting my mic battery box to there.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2016, 06:54:20 AM by AndyLGR »

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2016, 08:27:08 AM »
Maybe the mics, then?  The line input won't work at all with plug-in power, but if you aren't getting any signal at the mic input either (with plug-in on), then you either broke both inputs on the recorder or the issue is elsewhere.  Most computers have a microphone input; I would try mics > BB > computer, if that is an option, and see what happens...

Offline AndyLGR

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2016, 08:41:48 AM »
I've got a set of CA omnis too and I get the same result with them, so its either battery box or recorder.

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2016, 09:24:28 AM »
If the issue was the battery box, you would be able to run either pair of mics straight into the recorder with plug-in power on (mic input).  Bad luck to have both inputs go down at the same time, but maybe that's what happened...     

Offline AndyLGR

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2016, 01:46:28 PM »
I'm convinced its the battery box. When I plug the battery box in and tap the mics I get nothing, until that it is I mess about with the mic connection into the battery box, then I get some levels on the rh channel, but nothing on the left.

Plug in power using mic in is working fine on the r-09 (it would have helped if I'd checked the input levels last night  :banging head: )
« Last Edit: November 08, 2016, 01:50:30 PM by AndyLGR »

Offline Humbug

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Humbug Hum Rejection Unit
    • Trading site
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2016, 02:29:40 PM »
Damn - sorry - I have no battery box to lend - all my  preamps are mini-XLR in or binder. When's the next gig?
UK based taper: MK4>Nbox Platinum>PCM-M10
AT853C>CA9200 / PIPsqueak>Tascam DR-2D

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Humbug66

Offline AndyLGR

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2016, 03:25:17 AM »
Damn - sorry - I have no battery box to lend - all my  preamps are mini-XLR in or binder. When's the next gig?
3 weeks, I've ordered a new one hopefully it'll be here in time. If not I'll give the plug in power a go and see how it pans out.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.094 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com