Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Superlux S502 vs. Line Audio CM3 for budget cards  (Read 9629 times)

Offline Massive Dynamic

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • 20 years of the best in apocalyptic gothic metal
Superlux S502 vs. Line Audio CM3 for budget cards
« on: March 01, 2017, 08:34:11 PM »
I do only a little open taping these days, but the omnis I have aren't the best tool in those situations. I am considering a couple of low cost cards, and these two are where I am leaning. Are there other possibilities I might be missing?

For reference, I like the HF presence of the 4v caps or VM-44 cards, and these are similar, with the S502 probably the brighter of the two. Low end response is comparable between the two based on published specs, but I haven't heard enough recordings to know which goes lower. Any recommendations on recordings I should sample to help me decide? Thanks.
Naiant X-X > SP-SPSB-1 > M10
Superlux S502 > Denecke PS-2 > Hosa MIT-435 > M10

Offline Cheesecadet

• Needs to get out more...
  • http://db.etree.org/cheesecadet
Re: Superlux S502 vs. Line Audio CM3 for budget cards
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2017, 12:51:22 AM »
I had the CM3s for a bit.  I was not impressed and they were sold fairly quickly.  Some on TS do like them though.  No experience with the Superlux FWIW.
AKG 481's, DPA 4061's (Matched), AT ES933's w/ AT853-ELE's (SC/C/O), ECM-19B's, MixPre-3, A10, M10 x 2, Hi Ho Silvers, Various Darktrain & GAKables

Vinyl:
Fluance RT83 Reference > MCS 3230 Receiver > Realistic MC-500's (NOS)

Upcoming:
02/10 J. Dilla
02/14 Wiliie Waldman & The Chocolate Factory
02/15 Gabe & Giz
02/16 GM5
02/28 Grace Potter

Offline down2earthlandscaper

• Gear Collector (Slut/Hoarder) and Multiple-Rig Maniac
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2017, 02:13:23 AM »
Mics: CA-14(cards & omnis) and CA-11(cards & omnis) ; AT853's(cards, hypers, mini shotguns); Busman BSC-1 (cards, hypers, omnis)
Nakamichi CM300's (CP-1,2,3,4) Nakamichi CM700's (cards, omnis)
Tascam PE-120's (cards, omnis) Countryman B2D
DPA 4061's DPA 4022's; DPA 4080; AKG 480 ck61 and ck63; Naiant AKG Active Cables
Preamps: CA-9100; Naiant Tinybox (12v/48v + PIP 8V); Naiant Littlebox;
DPA MPS6030; Sound Device Mix Pre-D
Decks: Mixpre 10T and 6; Roland R-07; Marantz PMD620; Sony PCM M10; Edirol R-4; Zoom H6; Marantz PMD-661; Sound Devices 722

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2017, 06:28:34 AM »
The CM3s have a massive following from the classical recording folks on Gearslutz.  Some of the recent examples posted there will knock your socks off.
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/remote-possibilities-acoustic-music-location-recording/644759-cm3-really-good.html

More CM3 samples, including some of my own, in the Team Line Audio thread here as well.

There's also a whole lot of S502 samples on Gearslutz.  It's also very impressive as a Schoeps knock-off, but there are occasionally some manufacturing reliability issues.
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/remote-possibilities-acoustic-music-location-recording/568801-superlux-s502.html

Here's the thing: Unless you are going to always have the correct acoustics and placement position where ORTF is going to work, you should buy separate mics instead of (or in addition to) the S502.  Otherwise you're locking yourself into one stereo arrangement that may sound fantastic in some places but not in others.

Another consideration is that the CM3 is a subcardioid mic.  I find I like this myself, as the bass seems to be a bit better at distant placements compared to stardard cardioid (though not as good as an omni of course) while at the same time having better rear rejection if that's a concern.  They do have to be spaced a bit wider than cardioid mics.  Most owners of them seem to start at NOS spacing and then adjust from there.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline heva

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2017, 06:35:31 AM »
Don't have cm3's, but the convenience with the S502 is that is 'ORTF', which most always 'works'.
AFAIK that's why the french 'invented' this ORTF setup: to easily make good sounding 2track stereo recordings in [most] any situation.

Offline Craig T

• Trade Count: (10)
    • LMA
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2017, 09:44:51 AM »
I think the CM3s are great mics.  Their pattern falls between a typical subcard and card, so I think they're usable in situations where you reach for a card.  That said, if you prefer the HF presence, you probably won't like the CM3 unless you eq it.
Schoeps cmc6/4v / Line Audio CM3, OM1 / ADK A51 / Church Audio CA-14
Naiant Tinybox v2.2 / NBox(P) / Church Audio ST9200 / CA-UGLY
Sony PCM-M10 / Tascam DR-70D / Zoom F3 / Zoom F6

Offline Massive Dynamic

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2017, 10:44:01 AM »
I think the CM3s are great mics.  Their pattern falls between a typical subcard and card, so I think they're usable in situations where you reach for a card.  That said, if you prefer the HF presence, you probably won't like the CM3 unless you eq it.

I read your and other's comments in the Team thread. The link to this CM3 recording was posted after Butch's passing, and it sounds bright enough for my tastes, https://www.mixcloud.com/butch-almberg/butch-trucks-and-the-freight-train-band-terra-fermata-stuart-fl-12272016/ (no notes on any eq performed)

I still might go the S502 route to start, and experiment with the CM3s if I don't find the mic to my liking. Prices are very good at Thomann.

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2017, 10:46:38 AM »
Don't have cm3's, but the convenience with the S502 is that is 'ORTF', which most always 'works'.
AFAIK that's why the french 'invented' this ORTF setup: to easily make good sounding 2track stereo recordings in [most] any situation.

They designed it for placement over the conductor's head at a classical symphony, not at thall back of a bar or in a hockey arena.

110 degree angle will almost always give you too much reflected sound and not enough direct sound unless you are in the sweet spot FOB or onstage.
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

Offline Massive Dynamic

• Taperssection All-Star

Offline voltronic

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2017, 08:57:11 PM »

They designed it for placement over the conductor's head at a classical symphony, not at thall back of a bar or in a hockey arena.

110 degree angle will almost always give you too much reflected sound and not enough direct sound unless you are in the sweet spot FOB or onstage.

+1 to this.  I would think ORTF would be pretty difficult to use for the typical amplified concert taper locations for these reasons.  And even though I'm exclusively an acoustic / classical recording person, I'm not using ORTF or similar setups either unless I am able to be close enough and in the right acoustic for it.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline carpa

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2017, 06:11:46 PM »
Very interested to this thread because the S502 cost half the price of CM3.  My average use could be  recording classical music on the stage or at home; mostly a solo piano or a violin-piano duo.
As it is me playing I don't have any stealth needs; instead I need fast positioning and use coupled with a soundcard+pc or Littlebox+Edirol RH.  For this reason a stereo mic is a plus for me. I have heard recordings with Rode nt4 but they are too harsh/bright to me; I far prefer the Shure VP88 but it costs too much for my budget.
Should the S502 be able to pull nice recordings it could be the way to go.

Any of you has some report on the cheaper Supberlux stereo mic with double power option ( Phantom / battery), the E523?

thank you

c

Offline voltronic

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2017, 08:12:12 PM »
Very interested to this thread because the S502 cost half the price of CM3.  My average use could be  recording classical music on the stage or at home; mostly a solo piano or a violin-piano duo.
As it is me playing I don't have any stealth needs; instead I need fast positioning and use coupled with a soundcard+pc or Littlebox+Edirol RH.  For this reason a stereo mic is a plus for me. I have heard recordings with Rode nt4 but they are too harsh/bright to me; I far prefer the Shure VP88 but it costs too much for my budget.
Should the S502 be able to pull nice recordings it could be the way to go.

Any of you has some report on the cheaper Supberlux stereo mic with double power option ( Phantom / battery), the E523?

thank you

c

Hi, fellow classical pianist here.  I understand the attraction of a stereo mic for ease of use, but most stereo mics (except the expensive ones) lock you into one angle / spacing which may sound fabulous in some circumstances and mediocre to awful in others.  One size does not fit all situations, and what will give you a great recording in a good concert hall may not be a good choice for at home and vice versa.

For instance, my favorite piano recordings by far are made with spaced omnis.  I'm talking about a concert grand on full stick in a great hall where you want to capture the acoustic space properly as well as render the full tonal range of the instrument.  But try that in a typical small home practice studio such as what I have, and you will likely end up with an awful recording swamped by an overabundance of early reflections.

Conversely, X/Y cardioids (such as what you get on cheap stereo mics) sound terribly narrow and flat in pretty much any classical concert recording situation.  But in the small home studio situation where you want to minimize the sound of the too-small room in your recording, you can set your X/Y array quite close and get a pretty decent recording.

Now, if you get a pair of separate mics, that gives you the ability to alter the angle and spacing to your heart's content, dialing in the amount of acoustic you want (or do not) want to capture.  No stereo mic will ever give you that level of flexibility.  If you don't know all of the arrangements or what adjusting angles and spacing actually does, hang around here and you'll learn a lot about those things.  Once you learn more about this, you'll quickly wish you had bought separate mics.

The best thing for home recording of a piano in this situation is probably a spaced pair of good figure-8 mics which will have deep nulls to cancel the ceiling and sidewall reflections in a home studio.  Then when you are in a nice concert hall, you can align them together for a mid-side Blumlein recording and be able to manipulate the stereo image and direct / diffuse ratio in post.  That's the closest thing to an all-purpose mic setup that would work for you, but it's also going to be the most expensive.  A pair of Sennheiser MKH 30 is on my to-buy list when I have a spare $2500...

Sorry this turned into such a long post.  Here's the TL:DR: The Superlux S502 will probably sound great in a concert situation as long as it's properly placed and you're in a good hall.  But it will probably not sound great in your home, since it's going to grab too many early reflections from very close walls and ceilings.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline carpa

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2017, 08:03:23 PM »
Thank you for your answer.  I have never tried expensive mics but I remember that MS mics can be a good compromise; I pulled some mice recordings with a stereo MS sony ECM 979, which I don't own any more, and I tried a Shure VP 88 with appreciable results.
I've experienced the fact that my Natant x-x omnis may fit perfectly in medium -big halls in order to record a full sound, but may sound terrible in presence of very reflecting situations like a church or my home, in which I "packed" my Steinway D concert grand  in a small room.  In any case I need time to search for the best position, time which I often don't have in order to get a recording for archive purpose.
A musician's life is often like getting into the hall a couple of hours before the concert and being concerned with rehearsing the program, change suit, have a short rest,  go and play.  After the concert there are always  people to talk to, change back your suite, take the scores and be ready to go to dinner.
The Shure VP 88 or the Rode NT4 ( or the cheap Supberlux E523 or the AudioTechnica models, which I don't know)  all have both phantom power or battery option. I have time and space in my luggage and somebody helps me? I bring my littlebox, my Edirol R01HR, xlr cables and set everything fine. We are in video age,then, so if I want to have a video I need also at least to place a cell phone for filming.
I don't have time or have travelled on  a plane with a handbaggage? I bring my stereo mic, a violin music stand,plug the battery powered mic into the Edirol and go.
Since the moment my Sony ECM 979 died, I found myself most of the times bringing just my Edirol, place it on the ground or on a chair and press rec.  As we usually say that the best camera is the one you have with you, thus taking mostly pics with your phone than with your 1000 bucks Canon you have at home, I ended up thinking that the best recording set is exactly the one I can bring with me.
That's why I'm trying to explore the fastest solution with a certain quality, even accepting compromises. Should the VP88 have a lower price ( and maybe a lower noise floor....) I'd certainly go for it.
Probably the Supberlux E523 id really too cheap and, in the middle, I guess there is only the Rode NT4, but I don't like the recordings I've heard from it.

Offline Chilly Brioschi

• The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool.
  • Waiting for the next cladogenetic event, or Godot
    • Oceana North America
"Peace is for everyone"
        - Norah Jones

"Music is the drug that won't kill you"
         - Fran Lebowitz

Offline 2manyrocks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2017, 09:19:31 PM »
carpa/voltronic, the room is not our friend in attempting to record piano at home.  In the right acoustic, cm3s are terrific piano mics.  In lesser situations, you might consider a pair of inexpensive ribbons.  https://www.gearslutz.com/board/gear-shoot-outs-sound-file-comparisons-audio-tests/150891-ribbon-madness-some-comparisons.html

Sorry to the OP-don't know anything about the S502 to contribute.

Edit further thoughts, the ribbons are useful to null out bad room effects, but if the goal includes recording on the road, then cm3s are the best most affordable piano recording option IMO.  Ribbons are too fragile and bulky for that. 

Also suggest finding the piano recording in the cm3 thread at gearslutz to hear what these mics can do.

« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 11:10:31 PM by 2manyrocks »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.079 seconds with 42 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com