Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Superlux S502 vs. Line Audio CM3 for budget cards  (Read 9625 times)

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I thought I heard.......
Re: Superlux S502 vs. Line Audio CM3 for budget cards
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2017, 11:33:14 PM »
ok.....without getting too granular, ..........

in 99% of all the mics out there.   a stereo pair is going to offer the user
more options to make a nice stereo recording.

If you are concert taping maybe consider:   the ease of one stereo mic vs. setting things up, ie: cable variances, shock mounts, T bars,
clamps and so on.   
The Superlux S502 can do some great things in the right circumstances.   
owning one for under two bills is, IMO....totally worth the money......

Offline 2manyrocks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2017, 10:59:25 AM »
Keep in mind that you can buy custom mounts so you don't have to fiddle with mic set up.  https://www.shapeways.com/product/KU38YRKZ6/nos-line-audio-cm3?optionId=56179289

It is notoriously difficult to make a satisfying solo piano recording.  The piano, tuning, room, performance, mics, mic position, and recording have to be just so. 

The easiest mics to carry and get great sound would be dpa 4060 or 4061s, but more $. 

Shop carefully.  Most expensive route is to buy something that doesn't work and then have to buy what does.

Offline BonoBeats

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
    • My Band- Funk Pocket
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2017, 03:56:49 PM »
Quite different sounding mics, to my ears.

The s502 is detailed, almost to the point of being a little too bright. The CM3 is probably truer to the source, but could borrow some of the s502's high end.

Either mic would need some work in post- the s502, less high end; the CM3, more. Also keep in mind that the wide cardioid of the CM3 will pick up a lot of the room; that said, you're not committed to ORTF (I agree with noah that it isn't ideal at a distance). Really depends on your preference.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 04:16:58 PM by BonoBeats »
Now You See Me Telefunken M60 Masters/ADK Cremona 251>MixPre6
Now You Don't    Naiant XX or MS-TFB-2-MKII>SP-SB10>Roland R05

Online voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2017, 09:26:10 PM »
Also keep in mind that the wide cardioid of the CM3 will pick up a lot of the room;

I think it might be a wash in this situation.  Keep in mind that the wide cardioid pattern of the CM3 actually has better rear rejection than cardioids with their rear lobes in the polar pattern.  So while the CM3 remains fairly consistent up to 90deg off-axis (which in a small room might not be the greatest), standard cardioids may be more susceptible to reflections from too-close walls to the rear.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2017, 07:30:13 AM »
Keep in mind that the wide cardioid pattern of the CM3 actually has better rear rejection than cardioids with their rear lobes in the polar pattern.

Cardioids have substantially better rear rejection than wide cardioids, at least the ones with which I am familiar...

Offline 2manyrocks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2017, 12:14:20 PM »

Online voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2017, 03:13:17 PM »
polar plot:  http://www.lineaudio.se/CM3.html

I guess I stand corrected.  I was going off usage of the CM3, finding it less picky about a wall close to the rear creating reflections than a similar array with cardioids.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline carpa

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2017, 07:29:08 PM »
I ended up buying a Superlux E524d stereo microphone from Thomann expecting just what I needed for a fast and no brainer setup. While knowing I could achieve better result and have more flexibility with a couple of mono cardioids I chose this one for three reasons: 1) It's cheap ( 111 euros)   2) no worry about positioning 3) power options with either phantom power or 1,5 volts battery.
Just gave it a fast try in my studio and it works just fine. Low noise and appreciable overall sound for  rehearsing or concert recording just for my archive.
Used both with phantom into my Naiant littlebox and line in of Edirol r09hr and battery powered into Edirol's mic in passing by two Shure Af95  matching transformers.
I don't have pro stuff to make a comparison, but I found it completely another world compared to Edirol internal mics and to a consumer Sony ECM 907 stereo mic both in terms of low noise and sound, bass presence and much more detailed and full tone ( of course I could expect it ).
My Naiant omnis x-x provide a slightly more full and natural sound but I guess they may suffer in bad acoustic situations, and always need phantom power.
Don't know how this superlux stands against Audiotechnica or Rode, but they cost three or four time the price, so I think it could be a good solution for those who need a fast stereo setup and power flexibility.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.283 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com