Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Share totally biased opinions of my setups here!  (Read 4461 times)

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
  • Needs to get out more...
Share totally biased opinions of my setups here!
« on: March 25, 2017, 05:17:13 PM »
I've got two audio setups at home, and basically, I'm trying to figure out why I prefer the sound of the less expensive one.

In my office I have a Peachtree Audio integrated amp, with an actual tube in it that you can turn on and off. TT is a Technics SL-1200mkII with an Ortofon Blue cartridge and the basic Rega phono amp. Speakers are Audio Physic Yara bookshelf speakers.

In my main room I run a Bel Canto integrated amp w/ integrated phono amp powering Dynaudio Focus 30s. TT is a Rega RP6 with the Exact cartridge.

Basically I find the office setup a bit "warmer" and just pleasant to listen to. A bunch of people will point to the tube in the integrated amp (which does make a difference) but I feel this way even with the tube off. There is something about the Rega I think I don't like, for one. I feel like the audio is balanced slightly to the right and the sound is more like a CD player than vinyl. The entire system sort of reminds me of what people say about DPA mics... it's kind of "clinical" to me. I was kind of biased against the Rega going in because the company sold me a bum RP1, but I got talked into it. The Dynaudios I also wasn't that familiar with, but they do seem to be focused mainly on "accuracy" rather than a more pleasant/warm sound. I do like having an integrated modern amp because I also have digital material running through it (a Sonos and my TV stuff).

I'll probably not do anything for a while, but I'm just wondering if these opinions strike people as common ones about this equipment.  If anything in all of it, I really, really love those Audio Physic speakers. They are maybe a hair bright, but to me they just sound great.

All opinions welcome.

Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline raymonda

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Share totally biased opinions of my setups here!
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2017, 09:01:02 PM »
I certainly can't tell you why you like one more than the other but you should figure it out so you can replicate it and then refine it. Swap out different components to see it you can narrow it down.

I have a Peach Tree in my office system and the tube buffer does really sweeten things up, as well as, taken the edge off things.

In my office I don't have the luxury of a proper speaker set up so my Celestions SL 6S sit in my desk, with acts as a bass booster. If you are doing the same it might explain the fuller sound your getting.

Enjoy and I'm jealous you have vinyl in your office.

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2017, 10:53:54 AM »
^ I actually was hoping you'd chime in. My office speakers are on stands...funny enough I had SL6s before these, but I never felt like I was driving them properly and got rid of them (before I owned the Peachtree).

I'm especially wondering if I just don't like the Rega sound. I know you've heard about 100X or more TTs than I have... Do you have an opinion about the RP6 and the Exact?
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2017, 11:15:38 AM »
^ I actually was hoping you'd chime in. My office speakers are on stands...funny enough I had SL6s before these, but I never felt like I was driving them properly and got rid of them (before I owned the Peachtree).

I'm especially wondering if I just don't like the Rega sound. I know you've heard about 100X or more TTs than I have... Do you have an opinion about the RP6 and the Exact?

my experience with Rega was a P1 and a P3-24.  I am currently running a Nottingham table.  My advice would be to change out the Rega cartridge.  I know they are spoken highly of in most audio circles, but honestly, when I replaced my rega cartridge (don't remember the model) with a benz micro gold, the music just opened up.  Change was so significant it was impossible not to hear it.  A level or clarity and separation was gained that wasn't there before.

So all that being said, I would upgrade the cartridge (I would recommend a Benz as I had great luck with a micro gold cart and am currently running a benz wood cartridge).  And once you do that, if the results aren't exactly what you want, you can upgrade the table and use the benz cart going forward. 

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2017, 11:18:39 AM »
The answer is simple. One room sounds better than the other.
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2017, 02:39:51 PM »
The biggest factors are likely to be the speakers and the room (which includes the speaker/listening setup within the room).

Can you swap the speakers between these two systems while leaving everything else the same (including the speaker positioning and angles), just for some test listening?  Besides being a good first step in determining what component has the greatest subjective influence on your listening experience in this particular case, I expect that to be quite illuminating in general.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline raymonda

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2017, 08:11:49 PM »
The SL6S take some power to dance. Without out which they sound thin and boring.

The recommendation to swap components is solid. Take your time and only do one component at a time.

The Rega is a fine table and should play well. You just need to find the right friends for it. The recommendation to go to a Benz is also solid. Although, you might want to consider the Silver, which is a high output cartridge. If you can swing an ACE or Glider that would be even better. The 1200s arm works best with high compliance MM. the Regas arm, IMO is its strong point. The arm in the 1200 is its weakness.

If you want to bring out the best in both, take the arm of the Rega and put it on the 1200 and get a Benz. It'll put a skill on your face put you will only have one table. Most likely not a good thing for you but it would be fun.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.052 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com