Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Internal depth & dimensions of MOVO WST windscreens?  (Read 2372 times)

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
Internal depth & dimensions of MOVO WST windscreens?
« on: April 11, 2017, 10:34:20 AM »
Hey you Movo 'Balistic Nylon' windscreen (super softy clone) users, if you could take a couple measurements of your Movo WST windscreens you can help me figure out a which windscreen I may be able to adapt for use with some non-standard microphones.  I've not been able to find this information online.

The WSTT50 is nominally 3cm
The WST80 is nominally 6cm
The WST100 is nominally 8cm

>Does the nominal measurement accurately indicate the actual internal depth clearance as measured from the deepest insertion point out to the inner-most edge of the flange of the rubber end-cap coupler?  (if not what is the actual measurement?)
>How much further can the eraser end of a pencil be pushed in once it lightly 'bottoms out'? (slightly compressing the internal end-foam)
>How deep is the  rubber coupler's microphone mounting flange? (same depth as the external flange around the outer edge of the rubber endcap?)
>What is the exterior diameter of the entire rubber end cap?
>What is the overall external length of WSTT50, WST80 and WST100?

Thanks for your help!
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Gutbucket

Re: Internal depth & dimensions of MOVO WST windscreens?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2017, 06:15:27 PM »
Thank you kindly and much obliged.  Seems you have the WS80.

I was thinking of replacing B-A-Shures, used in my typical non-conformist setup on microphones neither of these windscreens were intended for.  I ended up modifying some beat-up Shures with a makeshift hole-punch and a foam hair curlers as mic bushing for the Wanee fest.  Don't laugh, it worked really well.  Although happy with that solution, I may still pursue the Movo route as I like the fabric outer cover and compact size, and I think this info will be useful here for others, so if anyone else has dimensions for the other models please post them.

So we're comparing finger sizes now?  :o
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2017, 06:13:51 PM »
I have the WSTT50 and will gladly take the digital calipers to it.  Would you like that in imperial or metric?   :hmmm:
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2017, 06:19:09 PM »
Either is fine. I'll convert and post a summary once we get a few more reports, thanks!

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2017, 06:40:20 PM »
Measurements below for WSTT50:

>Does the nominal measurement accurately indicate the actual internal depth clearance as measured from the deepest insertion point out to the inner-most edge of the flange of the rubber end-cap coupler?  (if not what is the actual measurement?)
Ha!  Not at all.  6 cm.

>How much further can the eraser end of a pencil be pushed in once it lightly 'bottoms out'? (slightly compressing the internal end-foam)
Almost a full cm more.  Difficult to measure as the inner foam is the large open-cell variety.

>How deep is the  rubber coupler's microphone mounting flange? (same depth as the external flange around the outer edge of the rubber endcap?)
External flange where "MOVO" is printed is 17 mm.
Thickness of rubber that contacts the mic body is 1.5 mm.
That contact area is countersunk / beveled inwards towards the head of the screen 5 mm.  Inner beveled area is 37 mm dia. 

>What is the exterior diameter of the entire rubber end cap?
7 cm

>What is the overall external length of WSTT50, WST80 and WST100?
WSTT50 is 100 mm total length.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.052 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com